C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 09:52 PM
CLEAR
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Default oil leak

What are the common oil leaks? Ive got a small puddle from around the front of the engine. I havent had much time to check it out but a quick look revealed nothing.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Water Pump. Nasty older Dex can be oil like. Front rack leaking at the potted wiring or seals, power steering fluid. Front timing chain cover seal due to harmonic balancer wobbling. Many guesses for you.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Paul Wood
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had the same issue. Go buy a set of Rhino Ramps and put the car on them. Get under the car and look. Mine turned out to be the oil pressure sending unit which is a very common problem and easy fix if you do a search on this forum. Lots written about how to fix, lots of pictures etc. Also, put a wrench on the oil pan bolts and see if any are loose.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:05 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Put the eyeball on the power steering cooler lines too. There's a short(~ 2") section of rubber hose leading to it. It's up front and very easy to see. If it IS leaking, it can be replaced without replacing the entire cooler as it would first seem.

HTH

Get notified of new replies

To oil leak

Quick Reply: oil leak