C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove spark plug wires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 12:01 PM
joe Villarreal
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wires

twist and pull next time you install them add the lube that comes with the wires or add vasaline inside the boot so you wont have this problem again
Old 01-19-2011, 12:34 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by joe Villarreal
twist and pull next time you install them add the lube that comes with the wires or add vasaline inside the boot so you wont have this problem again
How does this help him get the old boots off??
Old 01-19-2011, 01:36 PM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I always just used a small pry bar on the heat shields to pull them up. My first c5 was high miles and my Z06 is low, but they both took the same effort to get off. A couple of them took a bit more effort, but nothing epic. I've never broken one..though I did replace the high mile ones anyway(originals are still in my garage somewhere lol)
Old 01-19-2011, 02:47 PM
imavettegirl
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
How does this help him get the old boots off?
they don't dry out as much.

it is for the NEXT time you change wires.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Kick2TheJunk
Navigator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine took a little longer, but only because I had to give my hands a break from scrubbing on the various things in the way. I'm a 'Gordo', so my hands were a little tight getting into some of the spaces.

I used this
http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-805...5480504&sr=8-2

and along with another Craftsman 3/8" swivel and some strong hands, I got them all out and replaced without major complications. Hardest part, getting the old wire boots off the plugs. After doing one side, reading about the angled needle nose - I used that idea on the other side... gripping the heat shield with the angled needle nose and along with tugging on the wire boot itself, they popped right off. No room for me to twist and turn them on the plug to free them up, so the pliers helped me alot. Good tip there.

Putting the new wires back on was a little tight for me too, making sure they locked into the tip of the plug wasn't always 'click - done' - I'd pull em off once or twice and see if I liked the feel of it.

I bought the AC DELCO 41-110's and MSD 32819 wires. Runs like a new car. No more light miss at a red light, smooth as silk.

I bought both from Advance Auto Parts (website) and used coupon codes on both items (purchased separately) and used coupon codes I found online. I saved $30 on the plugs and $35 on the wires. I added the dielectric grease and the anti-seize lube to the cart in order to reach the cart requirement for max discount.

I don't race my C5 or even lay into the pedal, but I will say this was a MUCH needed procedure and well worth the time/money spent.

Anyone on the fence about it, just do it. I paint houses for a living and haven't had my hands in an engine in 15 years. This went off without a problem.

I think the OP already moved on.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kick2TheJunk:
Edmund Iverson (04-25-2019), mwbgtb (06-16-2016)
Old 01-20-2011, 10:29 AM
rboineau
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A couple Forum members wondered what I wound up doing after posting my initial request for information/assistance.

What I did was. . . . nothing yet. Obviously I don't need to do anything (with the car's mileage as it is) so I am still cogitating, hoping something will come to me regarding the removal of the metal shields without marring and taking off the existing wires without damage.

Since I was flamed by people assuming I was too cheap to buy new wires, let me say again that I would be perfectly willing to buy wires but would rather spend the $70 on beer, particularly because an 8000 mile garaged car doesn't need new wires and they shouldn't have to be destroyed.

Since I cannot break the boots' "stiction" by turning/twisting, I will probably use one Forum member's advice and put locking pliers on the boot ends, then pry up against those pliers to pop the boot off(and surely ruining one or more boots in the process). Or maybe I'll just sell the car.

Thanks once more to the people who offered help, as opposed to the smart-alecks.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:13 AM
joe Villarreal
Instructor

Default wires

the lube helps them from sticking to the plugs
Old 01-21-2011, 12:01 AM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Originally Posted by rboineau
A couple Forum members wondered what I wound up doing after posting my initial request for information/assistance.

What I did was. . . . nothing yet. Obviously I don't need to do anything (with the car's mileage as it is) so I am still cogitating, hoping something will come to me regarding the removal of the metal shields without marring and taking off the existing wires without damage.

Since I was flamed by people assuming I was too cheap to buy new wires, let me say again that I would be perfectly willing to buy wires but would rather spend the $70 on beer, particularly because an 8000 mile garaged car doesn't need new wires and they shouldn't have to be destroyed.

Since I cannot break the boots' "stiction" by turning/twisting, I will probably use one Forum member's advice and put locking pliers on the boot ends, then pry up against those pliers to pop the boot off(and surely ruining one or more boots in the process). Or maybe I'll just sell the car.

Thanks once more to the people who offered help, as opposed to the smart-alecks.

I just pulled wires off a 99 Camaro SS that were last installed at the factory, they did not want to come off after 12 years. I didn't care about the wires or the dust shields so I yanked on them and they would not budge. I ended up having to put a tool under the shield and pry against the head. It didn't damage the shield. The plugs themselves came out fairly easy so the whole excercise may be a waste of time if the car runs fine and your wires don't arc.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:03 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 920 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

I just did this job on our 45K mile 2000. One thing I have not seen mentioned in this thread that may help somewhat is to pull the wires off the coil packs first. Grab the top boot and twist it both way (doesn't require much turn), it will then easily pull off the coil pack. Now you have a tiny bit more room to work on the bottom end of the wire. Now grab the heat shield around the lower boot and turn it from side-to-side. Pull only on the heat shield or the boot, I guarantee if you pull on the wire you will break at least one of them, probably more.

Many people have tried to help you (in their own inimitable ways), so without being a "smart-aleck" I will tell you the awful truth: You would be foolish to attempt this project without knowing you want to change the plugs and wires. This is not a project you want to be doing just for practice. You will sweat, you will curse, you will bleed - make it worthwhile and change the damn plugs and wires.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:38 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by duckvett
I just did this job on our 45K mile 2000. One thing I have not seen mentioned in this thread that may help somewhat is to pull the wires off the coil packs first. Grab the top boot and twist it both way (doesn't require much turn), it will then easily pull off the coil pack. Now you have a tiny bit more room to work on the bottom end of the wire. Now grab the heat shield around the lower boot and turn it from side-to-side. Pull only on the heat shield or the boot, I guarantee if you pull on the wire you will break at least one of them, probably more.

Many people have tried to help you (in their own inimitable ways), so without being a "smart-aleck" I will tell you the awful truth: You would be foolish to attempt this project without knowing you want to change the plugs and wires. This is not a project you want to be doing just for practice. You will sweat, you will curse, you will bleed - make it worthwhile and change the damn plugs and wires.

Well put, "smart-aleck"..........

BTW, I can't believe this thread is still around!
Old 01-22-2011, 12:25 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastguy
I didn't care about the wires or the dust shields .....
Huh, so that's what those metal shields are for...to protect the spark plug boots from dust. Who knew..?
Old 01-22-2011, 12:34 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by duckvett
You will sweat, you will curse, you will bleed - make it worthwhile and change the damn plugs and wires.
Really? You went through all that changing spark plugs/wires ?

There are soo many choices for mechanics gloves today. They fit tight, and have rubber coated palms/fingers, so you still have dexterity. No reason to cut your hands up any more.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Huh, so that's what those metal shields are for...to protect the spark plug boots from dust. Who knew..?
My engine is extremely dirty.

Last edited by Fastguy; 01-22-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:23 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 920 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

[QUOTE=lucky131969;1576584373]Really? You went through all that changing spark plugs/wires ?

There are soo many choices for mechanics gloves today. They fit tight, and have rubber coated palms/fingers, so you still have dexterity. No reason to cut your hands up any more.
QUOTE]

I wore mechanics gloves....my hands were fine, it was from the wrists to the elbows where I bled. There are a lot of sharp edges in there!

Last edited by duckvett; 01-22-2011 at 08:25 PM. Reason: delete photo
Old 01-22-2011, 10:23 PM
dmarkshark
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Look, Im not an expert by any stretch, but if I pull on the plug its going nowhere. If I give it a good twist it pops loose. But, again, that is just what seemed to work for me. I don't know if it will work, but probably not hurt, too much! LOL
Old 01-23-2011, 10:18 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

[QUOTE=duckvett;1576588246]
Originally Posted by lucky131969
Really? You went through all that changing spark plugs/wires ?

QUOTE]

I wore mechanics gloves....my hands were fine, it was from the wrists to the elbows where I bled. There are a lot of sharp edges in there!
Sorry, I forgot to say......wear a long sleeve shirt....or mechanics sleeves.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:21 PM
dennyf
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ruined my the first set of wires I tried to pull off. Ended up buying several different types of spark plug pliers and I put dielectric grease on the plugs before installing the wires.

Get notified of new replies

To How to remove spark plug wires?

Old 08-02-2013, 11:26 PM
tquinn
Intermediate

Thanks for all the comments on this subject. While I do have a C5, I've not yet gotten into the spark plugs on it. But today I started to change the plugs on my daughter's 2004 Grand Prix GTP, and ran into the same issue, same type of connectors. I finally got all six off without breaking them, but it was not easy. Here was my approach, which uses some of what was discussed above:

1. Get the heat shield loose from the boot. It is held down by a spring type device. With your hand, rotate the shield clockwise as if you were tightening it (because the wound spring is like a left hand thread). This should break the shield loose from the engine and the boot.

2. Use a large pliars, set it to allow a big opening. Pull the heat shield back down toward the engine and clamp the big teeth of the pliars on the rubber boot, between the large molded hex on the boot and the metal heat shield.

3. As said before by others, wiggle and manipulate the boot with the pliars. If possible, rotate the boot 90 degrees in one direction, then 90 degrees in the other. I suspect that is what the rubber molded hex is for, but in some locations on the engine, I couldn't turn it with my hand, but could with the pliars.

4. While keeping the pliars tight on the boot, use the other hand to pull outward on the pliars hard while wiggling the boot with the pliars.

5. Here is the tough part. Keep doing #4 until the boot finally comes loose and pops off. It can take several minutes or more of putting heavy force on it. It is tiring and can cause parts of your body to ache intensely. Especially when laying across the top of a transverse V6 to get to the back row of plugs (much harder than the Vette). But eventually it will come loose.

6. There was one plug on the GTP where there was not enough room to get the second hand on the pliars. Eventually I took a 2 1/2 foot long 3/8 inch round rod, and got it behind the pliars and pryed the pliars away from the engine while keeping the pliars clamped on the boot. It popped right off.

If I can get all six off the GTP using this technique on boots that had never been removed in 100,000 miles, any Vette should be a cinch with this method. But you have to be persistent and confident that it will eventually come loose. Don't give up.

Last edited by tquinn; 08-02-2013 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Forgot to set subscription
Old 08-02-2013, 11:32 PM
NatB
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, old thread.

The hardest part of replacing the spark plugs on my 2002 Z06 at only 30k miles 2 years ago was pulling the old wires off . Good thing I had new GM wires, several of the originals were destroyed in the process.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:41 PM
tquinn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NatB
Wow, old thread.

The hardest part of replacing the spark plugs on my 2002 Z06 at only 30k miles 2 years ago was pulling the old wires off . Good thing I had new GM wires, several of the originals were destroyed in the process.
Yes, it was an old thread, but I was looking for help today, this came up, and it was useful. When I did some of my own refinement to the technique, I figured it was a good idea to post that so that someone else might benefit in three years. Or you might be able to save all your wires next time you get into your plugs.

Terry
The following users liked this post:
Edmund Iverson (04-25-2019)

Quick Reply: How to remove spark plug wires?