C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what should I do next???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 01:14 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

Default what should I do next???

Well guys My 2004 a4 is at 325 rwhp.

I want more....... I already have a cai, long tube headers, borla catback and dyno tune. Whats next for me, Ideally, I would like to keep it under $2,000 if possible.

What should I be thinking of for the next set of mods?
Old 12-12-2010, 01:42 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 75 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp
Well guys My 2004 a4 is at 325 rwhp.

I want more....... I already have a cai, long tube headers, borla catback and dyno tune. Whats next for me, Ideally, I would like to keep it under $2,000 if possible.

What should I be thinking of for the next set of mods?
For that budget, you could pick up a set of used LS6 heads, and pick out a nice cam.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:45 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lucky131969
For that budget, you could pick up a set of used LS6 heads, and pick out a nice cam.
is that with labor? also, the ls6 heads fit on the ls1? (sorry I feel I should know that by now).
Old 12-12-2010, 01:52 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 75 Likes on 71 Posts

is that with labor? also, the ls6 heads fit on the ls1? (sorry I feel I should know that by now).

Yes, LS6 heads will bolt right on, typically available used for ~$500. A cam will typically run you $400. So that gives you $1100 to play with for labor, upgrade springs/pushrods, etc.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:34 PM
MyEBc5Z
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That should put you near or over 400rwhp
Old 12-12-2010, 10:59 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

[QUOTE=MyEBc5Z;1576193339]That should put you near or over 400rwhp[/
======================================== ====
With the A4 you will need to stay with a very mild cam or you will need a torque converter.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:11 PM
robert21122
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get a 3600 stall for like $400 or 3.42 gears or 3.73 for about $450 depends on what your doing it will feel like 40 more hp. if you get a mild cam like 224/226 ish with a 114 lsa. im getting 226/228 with a 114lsa should only lose 3mpg.make sure you get the ls6 intake for like 300-450 you can keep the ls1 injectors but may want to upgrade to ls6.im about to put 150 wet shot on mine you can pick a good one up for 300- 400 used easy to install are trans can hold up to 550hp stock with trans cooler 500ish with out
Old 12-14-2010, 07:22 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

any other advice I should know of before going into this guys?
Old 12-14-2010, 07:32 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Well, your '04 already has a ZO6 intake manifold, so that's one thing off the list. Seriously, if you can somehow DIY, it leaves alot more budget for parts. If you cam, you must replace valvesprings. PRs are nice, but not a have-to. I'd never get an A/T in a Corvette, but if you're stuck, a higher stall is supposed to be better than gears. Not if you've got 2.73s, however. I'd leave the heads for now. Best power adder for cost, cam. I've done mine 3 times, and it is alot of work, and I'm no mechanic, but I was very happy after I did it myself.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:33 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by zeevette
Well, your '04 already has a ZO6 intake manifold, so that's one thing off the list. Seriously, if you can somehow DIY, it leaves alot more budget for parts. If you cam, you must replace valvesprings. PRs are nice, but not a have-to. I'd never get an A/T in a Corvette, but if you're stuck, a higher stall is supposed to be better than gears. Not if you've got 2.73s, however. I'd leave the heads for now. Best power adder for cost, cam. I've done mine 3 times, and it is alot of work, and I'm no mechanic, but I was very happy after I did it myself.
I do know for a fact I have 3:15's
Old 12-14-2010, 10:43 PM
C.Davis
Instructor

You my friend need a stall!!
Something around the 3200-3600 range is still VERY streetable, I had a 3400 Vigilante in my last auto trans am. If I ever had another auto I'd go a little bigger.
IMO a stall is a must have for a auto

Sending your TB off to get ported is pretty cheap ~$150 a few HP and a little better throttle response. (TB coolant bypass while its off)

Then I'd save for a cam and all the supporting mods (springs, pushrods, maybe oil pump timing chain, dyno tune)

Do some searches on write ups for tranny removal and cam swap, you will save a lot of money by doing your own work.. all you need is moderate mechanical skills and the ability to take your time. (a garage and a few tools wouldnt hurt either)
Old 12-15-2010, 09:02 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Time for a head and cam swap with a retune!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:19 AM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

where can I buy a stall from? can you send me links?

Originally Posted by C.Davis
You my friend need a stall!!
Something around the 3200-3600 range is still VERY streetable, I had a 3400 Vigilante in my last auto trans am. If I ever had another auto I'd go a little bigger.
IMO a stall is a must have for a auto

Sending your TB off to get ported is pretty cheap ~$150 a few HP and a little better throttle response. (TB coolant bypass while its off)

Then I'd save for a cam and all the supporting mods (springs, pushrods, maybe oil pump timing chain, dyno tune)

Do some searches on write ups for tranny removal and cam swap, you will save a lot of money by doing your own work.. all you need is moderate mechanical skills and the ability to take your time. (a garage and a few tools wouldnt hurt either)
Old 12-15-2010, 02:43 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

YES Stall converter--best mod and bang for the buck you can do on any automatic car---Your can gain up to 1/2 second in the 1/4 with a stall converter--without touchung the engine or adding a single HP !!!
As mentioned something in the 3000 range--- Most STOCK diameter converters can only be stalled as high as 2800---- Going beyond 2800 requires a smaller diameter converter and thats where they beome expensive----- A stall in the 3200 to 3400 range is very streetable--ALWAYS add an aftermarket tranny cooler on any stall just for protection and keeping things cool as stalls get the trans fluid hot-- Also you may have to re-tune your trans to accomodate the installation to get rid of common codes associated with them ( false misfires--fasle slipping)
I also went from a 3.15 to a 3.42 rear axle ( take of from a Z06)---I was disapointed with the results--very little gain--- but the Z06 rear dif is stronger with shot peened gears----

PS: If you watch Pinks---you'll see that most of the cars they show run in the 10 second range or slower--And 99% of them runs automatics !!!! Trying to race a manual trans at the drag strip or on the street is tough--without tons of experience---If you rev it up too much--you spin the tires at launch--If you don't rev it enough--it bogs at the start--An A4 is more consistent as it leaves the same everytime--For most weekend racers DD type guys an A4 is the best choice---You can't drive that car better than that computer can --I don't care if you're Mario Andretti--Without tons of passes under your belt or lots of seat time-

Last edited by tblu92; 12-15-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:10 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

maybe I should know this by now, but can you explain to me what a stall does and where I can buy one from, how its put on etc. This is the first car I have ever really modded and could use as much info as possible. thanks

Originally Posted by tblu92
YES Stall converter--best mod and bang for the buck you can do on any automatic car---Your can gain up to 1/2 second in the 1/4 with a stall converter--without touchung the engine or adding a single HP !!!
As mentioned something in the 3000 range--- Most STOCK diameter converters can only be stalled as high as 2800---- Going beyond 2800 requires a smaller diameter converter and thats where they beome expensive----- A stall in the 3200 to 3400 range is very streetable--ALWAYS add an aftermarket tranny cooler on any stall just for protection and keeping things cool as stalls get the trans fluid hot-- Also you may have to re-tune your trans to accomodate the installation to get rid of common codes associated with them ( false misfires--fasle slipping)
I also went from a 3.15 to a 3.42 rear axle ( take of from a Z06)---I was disapointed with the results--very little gain--- but the Z06 rear dif is stronger with shot peened gears----

PS: If you watch Pinks---you'll see that most of the cars they show run in the 10 second range or slower--And 99% of them runs automatics !!!! Trying to race a manual trans at the drag strip or on the street is tough--without tons of experience---If you rev it up too much--you spin the tires at launch--If you don't rev it enough--it bogs at the start--An A4 is more consistent as it leaves the same everytime--For most weekend racers DD type guys an A4 is the best choice---You can't drive that car better than that computer can --I don't care if you're Mario Andretti--Without tons of passes under your belt or lots of seat time-
Old 12-15-2010, 08:17 PM
smask04c5
Instructor

You should have 243 cylinder heads from the factory. Personally, I would buy a Yank SS3200 converter, after that install a small duration camshaft to capitalize on the low end torque.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:36 PM
C.Davis
Instructor

Read this, it explains it well.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63857

You have to pull the tranny, the torque converter bolts to the flexplate.
Install a tranny cooler also (not difficult)
Its a good idea to get a tranny temp gauge also...

Make sure to get a lock up stall converter for a street car.
I've only had personal experience with a Vigilante stall, and I loved it.
I have also heard good things about yank.

Get notified of new replies

To what should I do next???

Old 12-15-2010, 08:39 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

will the car still be street legal? I need to make sure it is.
What I am really looking for is a bit more power, not exactly off the line shall we say if that helps steer me in the right direction as to what I should be looking for. I do not plan on dragging it.

Originally Posted by C.Davis
Read this, it explains it well.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63857

You have to pull the tranny, the torque converter bolts to the flexplate.
Install a tranny cooler also (not difficult)
Its a good idea to get a tranny temp gauge also...

Make sure to get a lock up stall converter for a street car.
I've only had personal experience with a Vigilante stall, and I loved it.
I have also heard good things about yank.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:43 PM
C.Davis
Instructor

Think about a dyno graph and how the torque curve goes up with lower RPM and thats how you get a lot better launch, with more torque.

Then you will need some good sticky tires so you can launch!

If you get something in the 3400ish range, you might not need any trans tuning.. just depends, as every car is different.
Some throw a slipping code, some hit the rev limiter before shift...

My 98 TA didn't need any with a Vig 3400
Old 12-15-2010, 08:46 PM
C.Davis
Instructor

will the car still be street legal? I need to make sure it is.
What I am really looking for is a bit more power, not exactly off the line shall we say if that helps steer me in the right direction as to what I should be looking for. I do not plan on dragging it.
Yeah, it will still be street legal.
Depending on size, you will barely notice it.
MPG will go down slightly in town.

Well yes, it will "wake the car up more" not just off the line.
RPM's won't drop as fast in between shifts and hit 'dead spots' because the new stall is smaller and lighter, thats weight directly off the flexplate.

Quick Reply: what should I do next???