C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anti venom mod good or bad

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:03 PM
U-VET-CHA
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anti venom mod good or bad

i just got my c6z shifter from gene and am going to instal it in my 2004z. has anyone gone another step and done the anti venom mod. if so what was your impressions? did you get the mod or just add washers to the existing bolt? any comments appreciated. thank you.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

why is it named such a non descriptive name any ways?
Old 01-29-2008, 05:54 PM
eldudereno
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The shift is easier with the anti-venom mod that I did on my 2004 Z. Just do it and see if you like it or not, it's one of the easiest and cheapest mods that you can do.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Do a search on it, its been discussed to death.

IMO, it makes the trans feel worn out and you lose the "feel" to the shifts. You are taking most or all of the detent out of the trans which is a bad thing.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:11 PM
mneblett
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
Do a search on it, its been discussed to death.

IMO, it makes the trans feel worn out and you lose the "feel" to the shifts. You are taking most or all of the detent out of the trans which is a bad thing.
This is true only if you back the detent out too much. Experiment with the washer thickness and you can get a good balance between reduced resistance to movement and precision. Having done so on my C5 and my C6, I'm very happy with the results.

Separate issue: What's the basis for your last comment? Decreasing the detent engagement is not a "bad" thing as long as you don't eliminate all engagement.

Last item, to the previous poster: It's named after the forum name of the guy that started the ball rolling on this.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mneblett
This is true only if you back the detent out too much. Experiment with the washer thickness and you can get a good balance between reduced resistance to movement and precision. Having done so on my C5 and my C6, I'm very happy with the results.

Separate issue: What's the basis for your last comment? Decreasing the detent engagement is not a "bad" thing as long as you don't eliminate all engagement.

Last item, to the previous poster: It's named after the forum name of the guy that started the ball rolling on this.

The original anti venom mod eliminates the detent completely, people began using washers as a way to get around buying the anti venom mod plug.

Detents play a valuable role in the operation of the transmission. Having a solid mechanism to hold shift forks in a neutral position and keeping undue drag/pressure off the forks and shift assembly extend the life of synchros, idlers, shift forks, and other associated components.

Once again, its my opinion that removing or even lessening the detent action just makes the trans feel worn out. You want a positive feel to the shifts.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Plasticfan
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mneblett

Thanks mneblett, I've been wondering about that for a good while.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I thought it was named anti venom because originally it was named Venom and they charged and outrageous price for the part......so people started using washers which got the name anti-venom.

Who knows, thats just what I have read before
Old 01-30-2008, 12:22 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Anti-venom is the name of a person's business in Florida that does Corvette mod work. The name is a play on outperforming Cobras and Vipers, hence the Corvette is the "anti-venom". He invented the replacement bolt that did away with the detent mechanism. Someone figured out you could install a washer instead that would sort of accomplish the same thing but retain the spring loaded detent ball. It would also be much less expensive using the correct washer. I installed the washer in my car. It still retains some of the feel of the detent but shifting is a lot smoother and easier. Recommended mod, it works great.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:09 AM
dwjz06
Dogface

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 120 Likes on 60 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

I used the plug in mine from Antivenom. So no detent. It does not feel worn out just less notchy. I have not missed a shift or bent any forks since installing over a year ago. Some people say it is to sloppy without the detent. I like the feel and have no problem shifting the car. I also changed to the C6Z shifter this past July. Nice improvment as well. You should just try it to see if it works for you. Do not take other peoples opinions on how your car will feel! You decide. Also the washer method is cheaper, and does the same thing if you space it out enough. And for the poster that said it wears stuff out faster I talked with the Tremec guys at Carlisle and he said it would not hurt anything at all unless you can't shift worth a **it to begin with and then all bets are off anyway Don
The following users liked this post:
Bob Onit (04-10-2023)
Old 01-30-2008, 10:55 AM
vincentjames501
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats the difference between the washer method and the detent method? Do they both do the same thing? Can they both be done at the same time? Anybody post a link about doing this mod?

Thanks,
Vince
Old 01-30-2008, 11:42 AM
dwjz06
Dogface

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Originally Posted by vincentjames501
Whats the difference between the washer method and the detent method? Do they both do the same thing? Can they both be done at the same time? Anybody post a link about doing this mod?

Thanks,
Vince
The Antivenom part is simply a bolt made to replace the factory detent. It also has a rubber o-ring on it. The washers are used to place over the factory detent to space the detent away from the linkage. Don
Old 01-30-2008, 11:45 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dwjz06
And for the poster that said it wears stuff out faster I talked with the Tremec guys at Carlisle and he said it would not hurt anything at all unless you can't shift worth a **it to begin with and then all bets are off anyway Don
Believe what you will, I speak form practical experience, not just "talking to people". You really think GM put the detent there and at a particular spacing for no reason?

As always, my statements are IMO. What you do with your car is your business.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:02 PM
dwjz06
Dogface

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Believe what you will, I speak form practical experience, not just "talking to people". You really think GM put the detent there and at a particular spacing for no reason?

As always, my statements are IMO. What you do with your car is your business.
I would hope that 15K miles and over a year with it installed would count for pratical experience. You think GM is perfect? Lets talk column lock issues, fuel sender issues and a slew of others. I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest. I am saying the OP should try it to see if it works for him. No More No Less! I left it in. YMMV. Don
Old 01-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dwjz06
I am saying the OP should try it to see if it works for him. No More No Less! I left it in. YMMV. Don

I agree with that 110% That is the ultimate test of a mod. As always - to each his own. I tried it and absolutely hated it.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:20 PM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

posts 10 and 15 in this thread explain the anti-venom mod and the shifter linkage adjustment. if you're running a stock shifter I wouldn't recommend this cause it does make the trans feel like a 67 VW bus.... but if you've got a short shifter it's a nice mod to bring the shift pressure back to stock while retaining the shorter throw of your aftermarket shifter...
Old 01-30-2008, 01:13 PM
dwjz06
Dogface

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15, '17

I agree with that 110% That is the ultimate test of a mod. As always - to each his own. I tried it and absolutely hated it.

Get notified of new replies

To anti venom mod good or bad

Old 01-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Billdog350
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have done the anti venom mod on a 1997 MN6 with a C6Z shifter and ****. The difficulty of shifting has dropped considerably, but as people say it also lessens the "nochyness" so if you're looking for definitive shift gates/feel, this isn't the mod for you.

I personally like the easier shifting and haven't seen any negative effects with over 5k since I did the mod.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:13 PM
HP_Addict
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put the washer on mine and removed it after about a week. I did not like the sloppy feel, plus it was difficult to feel good engagement of the gears. I like positive engagement. I changed mine back to stock and will never consider it again. On a side note I like to drive my car hard and shift fast, if you are just cruising around and "granny" shifting you might like it better.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:56 PM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if you have an actual short shifter (hurst, B&M, MTI, etc.) it's a nice mod, for anybody with stock or similar (C6 is not a short shifter) it's probably going to feel like crap.

Quick Reply: anti venom mod good or bad