C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the Callaway Honker as efficient as the Vararam?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 01:49 PM
robert21122
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i love my vararam and didnt have fitting probs only with the power duct. Because im one of the lucky ones with the lowered motor mounts just had to cut the stupid fan and rad cover but with stock air bridge it was fine also moved maf closer to tb
Old 12-01-2010, 01:45 PM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks to all for the input.
Ed
Old 12-01-2010, 03:11 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I'd rather rely on the opinions of users, not those that stand to profit, such as the manufacturer. Some 'Vette guys are over the top ****, and the least bit of "off the instruction sheet" adjustments, give them nightmares. They rush off to their computers and tell the world what a POS their intake is, and that, of course, is their right. I've seen the Honker installed, but I didn't do the install, so I can't say what the innards are like, but the outside looks very OEM. The smooth plastic appears to be of thicker gauge, and not the glossy, dimpled look of a VRam, which looks aftermarket. I did have some problems with fitment, and had to redo the gasket that seals the filter area, but I didn't think it was unusually cheesy, just a little extra work. The VRam is the closest thing to a true ram air and the faster you go, the more it outpaces the competition. Thats the reason I bought it, because I place more emphasis on performance, than esthetics. Now days the price difference is substantial, but years ago, they were priced much closer, and still people bought them. At current prices, it seems like a no-brainer choice to me. It all boils down to your priorities.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:52 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
I'd rather rely on the opinions of users, not those that stand to profit, such as the manufacturer.
That's why I went with the Callaway. I haven't seen a single complaint on this forum about its quality or performance. The same cannot be said about the Vararam.

The VRam is the closest thing to a true ram air
It might be the closest thing, but that doesn't mean it's ram air. At the speeds we see, ram air doesn't exist. http://www.paladinmicro.com/documents/RamAirMyth.pdf

the faster you go, the more it outpaces the competition
I'm unaware of any data that supports this notion. If you are, supply it and I'll concede
Old 12-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It might be the closest thing, but that doesn't mean it's ram air. At the speeds we see, ram air doesn't exist. http://www.paladinmicro.com/documents/RamAirMyth.pdf

I'm unaware of any data that supports this notion. If you are, supply it and I'll concede [/QUOTE]

I guess the engineers at GM didn't see this memo when they designed the C6 Zo6 w/its front air scoop.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:56 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Jims79
I guess the engineers at GM didn't see this memo when they designed the C6 Zo6 w/its front air scoop.
There's a difference between cold air and ram air. The C6 Z06 has cold air intake (as do the Vararam and Callaway aftermarket units for the C5). None of the three, however, actually makes use of the ram air effect.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:09 PM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris
Great illustration

The area where the two vertical arrows are located, become a high pressure area at speed. This is a huge benefit to the CAI effect

When validating our C6 Honker, we actually saw positive pressure in this area and at the inlet

Callaway Honker, There is no substitute
Chris, st what speed did this begin to take place? Thanks.
Ed
Old 12-01-2010, 07:12 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by skyavonee
That's why I went with the Callaway. I haven't seen a single complaint on this forum about its quality or performance. The same cannot be said about the Vararam.

I'm unaware of any data that supports this notion. If you are, supply it and I'll concede
All of the data you ask for proof is anectodal, so I'm sure it won't do for a "just the facts, sir" kind of guy. I remember many instances of reading threads (yeah, it's the internet, so.....) where some industrious soul has done back to back comparos of different CAIs, and the VRam was the only one to consistently shave .2-.4 off the ET, supposedly under the same conditions. And I DID say "the closest thing to ram air", because there's doubt from some quarters that the ram air effect's an actual thing. I just believe the VRam is a better performer, for alot less money. I think it looks good, too, but not OEM like the Honker. The only thing about the Honker that makes it special is the airbridge design.Oh yeah, the Corvette tax price tag. BTW, I no longer have my Vram, due to SC installation.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:43 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by C5XTASY
Chris, st what speed did this begin to take place? Thanks.
Ed

Ed, I am on the road this week and will have to look that up and post, when possible. Thanks
Old 12-01-2010, 08:51 PM
0331MARINE
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: You know your drunk when you swerve to miss the tree then you realize its your air freshener! Covington Ga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honker also has a CARB #. I dont have either on my car FYI.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:10 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by skyavonee
Was that written by "Arkansas" Dave Rodabaugh from Young Guns II?? Oh wait, that was Dave Rudabaugh.

FWIW, Lingenfelter's CAI draws air from the same high pressure area as the Honker.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:30 AM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

To answer your question: no. All of the fastest cars are running vararams because they are the best. I have never, in the past decade or so, seen a car that gained anything over a vararam. I have, however, seen many threads where people gained ET/trap speeds over every other CAI.

I know some people like the cosmetic appearance of the callaway, and that's fine. But if you're talking wringing every last HP out, the VR is the only choice. The fact that it is so much cheaper (almost half the price) makes it a no brainer.

I have no affiliation with vararam at all, but it is obvious what the correct choice is from an efficiency/power standpoint. If you have any doubts, search "vararam" and spend a week reading through years of posts on the topic.

Dope
Old 12-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I run an open rectangular filter on the end of an airbridge sitting halfway through the shroud. It is halfway exposed to the underhood and halfway exposed to the conditions below the shroud.

1) I do not care how much HP I am making at idle so the increase of inlet air temperature of literally 6 degrees on average (still lower than the moving temps of an FI car) do not give me fits.

2) When moving my IATs are equal to ambient, one degree above ambient, and sometimes even a degree or two below ambient, depending on if I am driving through shade, sun, etc.

My car makes 850 HP on nitrous and about 650 on motor. My intake is not a restriction and temps are not a factor. Why do people make mountains out of molehills? The "design" of an intake is pure marketing. As long as it flows enough to not restrict potential and it does not consume air much warmer than that outside your window then who cares???

Buy an intake based on which one seals the best, is made the best, etc. quality. protect your engine. You are discussing the differences of 5 HP here or there when the truth is, they all have the same potential for power. Priorities, gentlemen?

So what if an intake picks you up .1 or .2 in the 1/4? You ready to rebuild your motor if it lets dirt in? Let me drive your car, I'll pick it up .5.... lol. ;-)

And finally, do you really care how much HP your intake makes or how temps affect it when most of your cars:
1) sit in the garage 11 months out of the year
2) sit in a grassy field at a car show
3) are getting waxed
4) etc.

I keed, I keed.

Last edited by Higgs Boson; 12-02-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Darkness1988
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
I run an open rectangular filter on the end of an airbridge sitting halfway through the shroud. It is halfway exposed to the underhood and halfway exposed to the conditions below the shroud.

1) I do not care how much HP I am making at idle so the increase of inlet air temperature of literally 6 degrees on average (still lower than the moving temps of an FI car) do not give me fits.

2) When moving my IATs are equal to ambient, one degree above ambient, and sometimes even a degree or two below ambient, depending on if I am driving through shade, sun, etc.

My car makes 850 HP on nitrous and about 650 on motor. My intake is not a restriction and temps are not a factor. Why do people make mountains out of molehills? The "design" of an intake is pure marketing. As long as it flows enough to not restrict potential and it does not consume air much warmer than that outside your window then who cares???

Buy an intake based on which one seals the best, is made the best, etc. quality. protect your engine. You are discussing the differences of 5 HP here or there when the truth is, they all have the same potential for power. Priorities, gentlemen?

So what if an intake picks you up .1 or .2 in the 1/4? You ready to rebuild your motor if it lets dirt in? Let me drive your car, I'll pick it up .5.... lol. ;-)

And finally, do you really care how much HP your intake makes or how temps affect it when most of your cars:
3) are getting waxed
4) etc.

I keed, I keed.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:18 PM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

I agree with the quality factor, for sure. Much of the discussion here has been quality discussion and I appreciate that. So, one more time ttt.
Ed

Last edited by C5XTASY; 12-02-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:04 PM
bcseitz
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Honker. I do like the look of it better than the V. I dont like the fact that the shroud has to be cut to use a Honker. If you ever want to change your setup you will have to buy a new shroud from GM as well.
Performance and fit wise I can't compare it to the V. since I've never had one.
But I do have a concern with the Honkers MAF sensor location up at the TB. The heatsoak with my MAF at this location seems higher since its just above the block now and when the fans come on they blow hot air right into this area. I can really achieve some pretty high IAT's here in AZ in the Summer.
I did fix this by installing an IAT breakout harness and a remote IAT sensor.
So the cut shroud and the possible extra heatsoak would be the negative that I see with mine.
If I had to do it all over again I would probably try the Vararam but mostly to just try something different.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:12 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a Honker and it rocks. Went from a V-ram 2B. I hated that thing, it wouldn't line up worth a darn, after alot of swearing to get it in with its cheesy cut with a dremel looking OEM foglight shrouds I took that thing out. The Honker looks OEM quality, fit and finish is beautiful. It's expensive, but worth it.

Get notified of new replies

To Is the Callaway Honker as efficient as the Vararam?

Old 12-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by phil hunter
It would seem to me that the Vararam would make more HP due to the ram effect of it's intake location forcing air into the CAI as the car moves through the air. That's why race cars have scoops.

Phil
word.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:10 PM
chevbowtie22
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson

3) are getting waxed
4) etc.

I keed, I keed.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:52 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Mountain?.............meet molehill.

****?...................meet retentive.

Quick Reply: Is the Callaway Honker as efficient as the Vararam?