Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 Tech
Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
Karl Chevrolet

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 11-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
TA Racer
CF Member

Default Squeaky bushings

I am a noob to vettes and the 99' im looking to buy is really squeaking loud from the rear of the car. The owner says it is the bushings and is a cheap fix. Does this sound right or could this be an expensive suspension problem.
Thanks.
TA Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
ajg1915
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08
Support Corvetteforum!

The stock bushings don't squeak. Does it have after-market bushings (polyurethane) ?

Yes, it's expensive to fix, new control arms.
ajg1915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
TA Racer
CF Member

There are a lot of aftermarket parts on the car so ill assume it is a polyurethane kit, (ill ask the guy to confirm though). I see a Polyurethane bushing kit online for $373 (from a non corvette forum vendor). I don't conisder that too expnesive, is it a B*tch to install? Do polyurethane bushings always squeak?

Last edited by TA Racer; 11-26-2010 at 09:42 PM.
TA Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
Its_Go_Time
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajg1915 View Post
The stock bushings don't squeak. Does it have after-market bushings (polyurethane) ?

Agreed. Factory rubber bushings don't squeek. They can groan after a lot of miles, but squeaking definitely sounds like polyurethane. Its a lot of work to fix if the arms dont have grease fittings. Even then, cleaning the bushings out is a good idea on a street car.
Its_Go_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:32 AM   #5
ajg1915
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA Racer View Post
There are a lot of aftermarket parts on the car so ill assume it is a polyurethane kit, (ill ask the guy to confirm though). I see a Polyurethane bushing kit online for $373 (from a non corvette forum vendor). I don't conisder that too expnesive, is it a B*tch to install? Do polyurethane bushings always squeak?
That really depends on your skill level and your access to the correct tools to do the work.

Polyurethane bushings do squeak. Need to be greased often. I have installed a few sets and added zert fittings to grease regularly.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:07 AM   #6
David426
CF Senior Member

David Whited

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajg1915 View Post

The stock sway bar bushings do squeak and it is fairly common.. There are many posts on this.. Do a search. My 99 had this problem as well as my 2002 Z.. Use a non Petrolium based lube on the insides of the bushings or wrap the swaybar in teflon tape where the bushings wrap around the sway bar.. Easy fix.. 2 bushings on the front and 2 on the rear
David426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
ajg1915
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David426 View Post
The stock sway bar bushings do squeak and it is fairly common.. There are many posts on this.. Do a search. My 99 had this problem as well as my 2002 Z.. Use a non Petrolium based lube on the insides of the bushings or wrap the swaybar in teflon tape where the bushings wrap around the sway bar.. Easy fix.. 2 bushings on the front and 2 on the rear
I was refering to the control arms, not the sway bars. Read the post.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
RichAshley-Black99
CF Senior Member

Richard Ashley SlackJawz73

In my case it was the F45 shocks that were making noise, ditched them and put C6 Z shocks and sways on. No more noise. I had prior to that lubed the sway bar bushings and the noise remained which were the crappy F45 shocks.

Rich.
RichAshley-Black99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:58 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Reload this Page Squeaky bushings

Tags
bushing, bushings, c4, c5, corvette, market, polyurathane, polyurethane, replace, squeaking, squeaky, squeeky, squeky, stock, stop, vette