C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header bolts

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 09:43 AM
charger21
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Default Header bolts

I am in the process of installing my Elite tunnel plate and need to take the LT's loose so I can slide the plate up into place. What is the best way to get the header bolts loose. It is a tight squeeze to get to them. I really can't get a wrench to turn in that tight of an area. Any help would be great!
Old 11-13-2010, 09:56 AM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't think that you would need to loosen the headers at all?
You would need to remove the exhaust from the header collectors back.
Starting at the cat backs,(just let them hang, and remove the x pipes or h pipes, which ever you have running behind your LT collectors,
Make sense to you?
Good luck.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:23 AM
charger21
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bumble-z
I wouldn't think that you would need to loosen the headers at all?
You would need to remove the exhaust from the header collectors back.
Starting at the cat backs,(just let them hang, and remove the x pipes or h pipes, which ever you have running behind your LT collectors,
Make sense to you?
Good luck.
Yes, that makes sense. I have already removed the exhaust. Some LT'S seem to be longer. I have Dynatech headers. You HAVE to take them loose. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:53 AM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I was thinking that my LG long tube pro's were as about as long as a long tube could be ?

I've had my t/ plate off several times over the years, & never had to loosen my header flange bolts to do so. But, I have a stock tunnel plate.

If you must do so, I woulkd use a box end wrench that is capable of ratcheting. Sears makes a great wrench like that.
If they are a bear to loosen, I would take ea one out seperately & apply anti seize on ea one before tightening them back in. That way next time, it would make the job much easier, & quicker.

It's not really that hard of a job, just time consuming.

Good luck.

Last edited by bumble-z; 11-13-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:18 AM
charger21
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bumble-z
I was thinking that my LG long tube pro's were as about as long as a long tube could be ?

I've had my t/ plate off several times over the years, & never had to loosen my header flange bolts to do so. But, I have a stock tunnel plate.

If you must do so, I woulkd use a box end wrench that is capable of ratcheting. Sears makes a great wrench like that.
If they are a bear to loosen, I would take ea one out seperately & apply anti seize on ea one before tightening them back in. That way next time, it would make the job much easier, & quicker.

It's not really that hard of a job, just time consuming.

Good luck.
I removed the stock tunnel plate very easily because there is flex with the stock plate. The 1/4 inch Elite plate has no flex. The ratcheting box end wrench is a good idea. Any more ideas?
Old 11-14-2010, 08:31 PM
robsc501
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi There,
bumble-z is correct.I would do this on a lift rent it if you have to. Save your back.
robsc501

Get notified of new replies

To Header bolts

Quick Reply: Header bolts