C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Restoration – Wait? He said what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 11:23 PM
C5Nate
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kansas City Area Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11,'13

Default C5 Restoration – Wait? He said what?

Some of our C5’s are getting a bit long in the tooth, 13-14 years old.

I’m starting to see lots of replacement parts for wear items to take it back to stock appearance rather than after market appearance.

I know through several washes and just years of abuse, I’m missing a tag or two from my engine compartment, i.e. Brake Fluid Reserve Cap.

Dont really want to buy the cap just for the stupid sticker but would like to have the stock sticker back on .

Dont even mention CHROME replacement crap. I cant stand those COVER UP items in an engine compartment, polish or chrome the component, don’t cover it up with chrome.

No that I have pissed off half the C5 section anyone know of replacement stickers similar to what is available for C3 and < Corvettes for the C5’s ?
Old 10-14-2010, 07:56 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Nate
..... Dont even mention CHROME replacement crap. I cant stand those COVER UP items in an engine compartment, polish or chrome the component, don’t cover it up with chrome.

No that I have pissed off half the C5 section anyone know of replacement stickers similar to what is available for C3 and < Corvettes for the C5’s ?
I can't help with your dilemma, but do agree with you about all the "dress-up" stuff under the hood. I'm kind of a "stealth" guy myself...
Old 10-14-2010, 08:29 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I've seen some door stickers on e-Bay but no engine stickers.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:46 AM
RBRBRNR
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I can't help with your dilemma, but do agree with you about all the "dress-up" stuff under the hood. I'm kind of a "stealth" guy myself...

Funny...maybe there's more of us out here than we thought.
The following users liked this post:
SG Lou (06-13-2017)
Old 10-14-2010, 08:56 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

All my engine parts are polished... literally. I can't stand the cover up clutter either.

On the stickers, have you asked the GM dealer? Perhaps the corvetterecycler (vendor) can get a couple for you in nice shape that can be reapplied with effort.

I think there will be a time where a stock C5 will be prized. In 40 years, how many of these cars will be excuse free with all electronics, bells, and whistles in order? How many future performance cars will be out there cut from the same cloth as today's cars? The population rate isn't going down, but the population rate of clean C5s are by the day.

I'm a member of the NCRS (National Corvette Restorers Society) and have rebuilt a '57 with every nut and bolt having been reconditioned or replaced. A 6 year project with my grandfather. It was a time trying to get everything back to stock on a near 50 year old car.

I'm sure there will be a time down the road when my (currently) 1 year old son and I restore a deserving late model 'Vette.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Pwrtrip75
Racer

I think the C5 is pretty poorly engineered, designed, and built. that would explain the early restorations. Ive gone though almost all of mine and cant believe how cheap some stuff it put together and designed. Every day an electrical problem is posted on here. You'd think 50 years of making a fiberglass ca that they would have figured out the grounding issues....nope. Its sad when you have to restore a 11 year old car that has been babied its whole life, just driven thats all.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:05 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwrtrip75
I think the C5 is pretty poorly engineered, designed, and built. that would explain the early restorations. Ive gone though almost all of mine and cant believe how cheap some stuff it put together and designed. Every day an electrical problem is posted on here. You'd think 50 years of making a fiberglass ca that they would have figured out the grounding issues....nope. Its sad when you have to restore a 11 year old car that has been babied its whole life, just driven thats all.
I strongly disagree. I think the C5 is brilliantly engineered, designed and built. The real issues are due to cost limitations to make the C5 a real value. Mainly all the parts made in Mexico that fail but hey I can drive one of the most sought after cars built thanks to those cost saving efforts. I'll replace, upgrade as needed. I have never driven a car that I enjoy more.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:16 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Compared to the older ones? Are you kiddin me?! News flash, Corvettes haven't had ANY fiberglass since 1982.

Last edited by ~Josh; 10-14-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: More polite, -Angel on the upswing.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:03 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, there are some things they could have done better for the money. How many more years will it take them to get some decent leather on the seats that doesn't wear out in 3 years? Mechanically the car is a great bargain but I think the ABS/TC system is a weak point on these cars as is the column lock issues.

At least the intake manifolds don't leak like the 3100, 3400 and 3800 do/did with the composite intakes.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:42 PM
C5Nate
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

OK, didn’t really want to turn this into a pissing match guys.

My 1998 is a true daily driver (rain, snow, hail, muddy/rocky roads) its seen it all. With over 80k on the clock, she has been a great car with very, very few issues.

I’m not really doing a true restoration, just want to replace some missing items. We show the car on occasion and it just looks better when everything is there.

I would like to have some new bar code labels that are attached to the brake lines along with some other items to “refresh” her looks.

I did try the dealer, they wanted to sell me the cap and all, which I may have to do but was trying other resourses for just the sticker.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:44 PM
C5Nate
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jrose7004
I've seen some door stickers on e-Bay but no engine stickers.
I've looked before but found nothing, I will try again.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
Well, there are some things they could have done better for the money. How many more years will it take them to get some decent leather on the seats that doesn't wear out in 3 years? Mechanically the car is a great bargain but I think the ABS/TC system is a weak point on these cars as is the column lock issues.

At least the intake manifolds don't leak like the 3100, 3400 and 3800 do/did with the composite intakes.
You think they could have done better for the money? I'm not so sure myself. Does any company make a better car for the money? I'm not so sure of that either. If you want a nice interior and similar performance, buy a Porsche and expect to pay 2-3x the cost, period.

Point is, Corvettes are relatively cheap cars with astounding performance for the $$. You give up something to gain something.

Furthermore, no one has made the perfect sports car. They all have their issues, no matter the company and no matter the cost. You can spend well into the 6-figure range and end up with even WORSE reliability than a corvette. Ever seen the issues Lambos, Ferraris et all have? If you want amazing performance, luxurious interior/ride quality and bulletproof reliability, all for a reasonable price - keep dreaming, because it doesn't exist.

In the meantime, it's pretty hard to beat a vette in the bang-for-the-buck category with its overall performance/quality/price compromise.

Dope
The following 2 users liked this post by Dope:
ArmchairArchitect (06-12-2017), hornet7 (06-15-2017)
Old 10-14-2010, 08:36 PM
SUNNYD 95
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by craig04c5
I strongly disagree. I think the C5 is brilliantly engineered, designed and built. The real issues are due to cost limitations to make the C5 a real value. Mainly all the parts made in Mexico that fail but hey I can drive one of the most sought after cars built thanks to those cost saving efforts. I'll replace, upgrade as needed. I have never driven a car that I enjoy more.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:50 PM
daleweible
Advanced

Some of the engineering was ahead of its time. I sitting in # 3 for me a 2001 vert 6 speed. I had much fewer little issues with my first a plain jane 69 vert 2 topper 4 speed, and I hate to say beat the s--- out of that car. I'm a bit better now but when asked this question this morning, what would I, own some [money being no object] some million dollar sports car or another vette. My answer was I would have a new zr-1, new zo-6 coupe & vert a new Grand sport, coupe & vert and a base vette in coupe & vert. and still have money left and a car for every day of the week.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:25 PM
dklowrider
Drifting

Originally Posted by RBRBRNR

Funny...maybe there's more of us out here than we thought.
wanna start a secret club?

oops. now it won't be a secret.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:06 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Dope
You think they could have done better for the money? I'm not so sure myself. Does any company make a better car for the money? I'm not so sure of that either. If you want a nice interior and similar performance, buy a Porsche and expect to pay 2-3x the cost, period.

Point is, Corvettes are relatively cheap cars with astounding performance for the $$. You give up something to gain something.

Furthermore, no one has made the perfect sports car. They all have their issues, no matter the company and no matter the cost. You can spend well into the 6-figure range and end up with even WORSE reliability than a corvette. Ever seen the issues Lambos, Ferraris et all have? If you want amazing performance, luxurious interior/ride quality and bulletproof reliability, all for a reasonable price - keep dreaming, because it doesn't exist.

In the meantime, it's pretty hard to beat a vette in the bang-for-the-buck category with its overall performance/quality/price compromise.
Dope
Right On!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:06 PM
C5Nate
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

This went well.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Restoration – Wait? He said what?

Old 10-16-2010, 12:46 AM
KorbenDallas
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You really need to read All Corvettes are Red
The following users liked this post:
Bruce Wayne (06-11-2017)
Old 10-16-2010, 01:42 AM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

VaraRam box has a sticker.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:45 AM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Nate
This went well.
No it didn't, but don't take it personally.

Quick Reply: C5 Restoration – Wait? He said what?