C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 C5 TPMS Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Quasar00
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 C5 TPMS Issue

I recently purchased a C5 softop with 27,000 miles, and tires that had been recently replaced. Every time I would turn the ignition on, the DIC would display a TPMS service advisory. While I was able to reset, no tire pressure info. would display. Researching this on the 'net, it seemed likely that the batteries were toast, therefore new sensors. However, another possiblity seemed that the sensors might not have been relocated to their original positions, when the new tires were put on. GM wanted to charge $$$ to analyze the system, and replace with new sensors. Then, I remembered that Costco resets sensors when they installed new tires. Went to see them, and with me setting the DIC up, each wheel responded as expected to the body receiver, and we had them set up again in 5 minutes, and reading correctly on every wheel. The reason I'm posting this is to advise members that have similar problems, because this was all done with a simple 'magnet', not the 'specialized tool' that vendors are quick to sell. Now, I understand that the '01-'05 systems are different in that they transmit on a different frequency, and may incorporate other changes, but this worked for me...at no cost! FYI
Old 10-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Had you done a search on here you would have found all this information readily available. You also would have been able to perform the procedure yourself with no outside help. Also, all C5's use the same TPMS programming procedure.

There are two sensors for the C5's. One works for '97-'00 cars and one for the '01-'04 cars. They are not interchangeable. The 2005 is a C6 and uses a different system altogether.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:22 PM
dklowrider
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just performed the learning process today. dic said rf tire pressure low. tire gauge said the lr tire was low. ??? evidently the previous tire/wheel installation didn't put the sensors back where they belonged. one suggestion if anybody tries this for the first time and it doesn't seem to be working: try a bigger magnet before moving to diagnose a problem with the system.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:22 AM
Quasar00
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mark C5
Had you done a search on here you would have found all this information readily available. You also would have been able to perform the procedure yourself with no outside help. Also, all C5's use the same TPMS programming procedure.

There are two sensors for the C5's. One works for '97-'00 cars and one for the '01-'04 cars. They are not interchangeable. The 2005 is a C6 and uses a different system altogether.
Thanks Mark C5...guess I discovered this forum too late! Bottom line is that I saved myself a lot of hassle and $$$, and I just wanted to pass on to others that may have the same problem.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:47 PM
Pull Up Now!
Navigator

Default can't get past Tire Training

Originally Posted by dklowrider
i just performed the learning process today. dic said rf tire pressure low. tire gauge said the lr tire was low. ??? evidently the previous tire/wheel installation didn't put the sensors back where they belonged. one suggestion if anybody tries this for the first time and it doesn't seem to be working: try a bigger magnet before moving to diagnose a problem with the system.
Hi folks. I know it's late in the season, but I just grabbed my 2000 C5 Roadster out of winter storage. As some others, I get no readings from the sensors (any of them) anymore, when they worked fine when I put them into storage. No new tires, or any other changes. The battery, however, WAS disconnected.

Here's the main issue, unlike others, I cannot get the display past "Tire Training" mode. I can see "Tire Training", but no button beyond that will get me to "left front, right front" etc. The display keeps saying Tire Training no matter what button I press.

Any suggestions? I have my magnet ready! Thanks!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:57 PM
DonP1
Advanced

I need to do mine. I need to find a magnet first.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Pull Up Now!
Navigator

Originally Posted by DonP1
OK, so here's the REAL issue. IF the batteries are dead, what is the computer's response when one tries to reprogram the wheels?
Old 07-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Pull Up Now!
Navigator

One more thing. I've looked at a number if DIY battery replacement videos. Not one of them gives the specs for the replacement battery from Batteries Plus so we can buy them first instead of hunting them down after we remove the spent batteries from the sensors.

Anyone have the battery specs, size, voltage, type, etc.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:42 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 642 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Pull Up Now!
.....Here's the main issue, unlike others, I cannot get the display past "Tire Training" mode. I can see "Tire Training", but no button beyond that will get me to "left front, right front" etc. The display keeps saying Tire Training no matter what button I press.
Any suggestions? I have my magnet ready! Thanks!
After you get to the "Tire Training" mode. Press and hold the reset button until it says Learn LF Tire.

Originally Posted by Pull Up Now!
OK, so here's the REAL issue. IF the batteries are dead, what is the computer's response when one tries to reprogram the wheels?
If the batteries are dead, then they will not train and the horn will not honk. The DIC will not move to the next wheel position either.

Good luck.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:47 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 642 Likes on 497 Posts

There are a lot of them that will work. I got mine for about $1 at Radio Shack. It is a rectangular one that is about 1.5"x1"x1/4" (I am guessing on the sizes so may not be exact.)

I struggled with getting mine to train when I followed the directions of putting the magnet at the valve stem. For me if I placed the magnet on the barrel of the wheel it was closer to the sensor than at the stem, and they trained easier.

Good luck.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:20 PM
PONI ETR
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by QCVette
There are a lot of them that will work. I got mine for about $1 at Radio Shack. It is a rectangular one that is about 1.5"x1"x1/4" (I am guessing on the sizes so may not be exact.)

I struggled with getting mine to train when I followed the directions of putting the magnet at the valve stem. For me if I placed the magnet on the barrel of the wheel it was closer to the sensor than at the stem, and they trained easier.

Good luck.
Where are these directions you refer to? I have one bad stem (LF). It reads 22psi when I know there's 33psi. The other 3 work perfectly. Do I need to just retrain the LF stem from the DIC? The owners manual says see dealer for training.
Thanks
Old 07-16-2013, 06:24 PM
PONI ETR
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
You need to retrain ALL the TPM's not just one:

Here is how you retrain the TPMS:

WOW. Thanks so much. Do you need a circular magnet? I have a rectangular one.
Thanks again.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:02 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,235 Likes on 2,311 Posts

Originally Posted by PONI ETR
Where are these directions you refer to? I have one bad stem (LF). It reads 22psi when I know there's 33psi. The other 3 work perfectly. Do I need to just retrain the LF stem from the DIC? The owners manual says see dealer for training.
Thanks
Retraining the sensors won't make the pressure readings change. If it's reading the wrong pressure, it will still read the wrong pressure. Retraining only matches the sensor to the car, it doesn't affect or calibrate the pressure reading.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:09 PM
PONI ETR
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
You need to retrain ALL the TPM's not just one:

Here is how you retrain the TPMS:

Just got around to the training and it worked just as advertised. Thanks so much.
Gawd, I love this forum!

Get notified of new replies

To 2000 C5 TPMS Issue

Quick Reply: 2000 C5 TPMS Issue