C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 05:27 PM
imavettegirl
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that post sure makes me want to help you out, but i will anyway.

if a plug is being fired at the wrong time then it will cause what is happening.

look in your shop manual and make sure the order is correct.

i am not sure what you did but go over everything you disconnected and make sure everything is back in the right place.

in case you have no manual i will look in mine when i am around them.

Last edited by imavettegirl; 10-30-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:51 PM
Twospeed
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My apoligies to imavettegirl
You were right! Dead right!
Thank you for looking past my words which could be easily misunderstood.
There are some side walk commandos on this and some other boards. Who post stuff that they have no idea what they are talking about.
You are not one of them, but I had no way of knowing this. Like I already stated I am sorry that I offended you.
Out of frustration I just rebent the harness and reconnected the harness. The car fired right up, sounded strong. Just went up the block or so, to see if was going to blow up. The car is some what louder now, due to my exploded (Gutted) cat. (Now I have to deal with the other one)
But it sounded great!! Felt awsome. The magic is back. I really don't know how to verbalize it. This motor has always had some kind of magic inside.
That's why I love this car.
Once again Thank you Sir.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:11 PM
bucketlist1957
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know for sure but if you have one cat and one without could the PCM be trying to do something funny to your AF ratio. You didn't say if your were getting any codes. Just curious. I want to learn from this also.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:13 PM
imavettegirl
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

glad it worked out.

if after you work on a vehicle and something bad is happening then going back and making sure nothing is unhooked or touching something else is the first thing to do.

good luck and have fun.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Twospeed
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bucketlist1957,
I wanted to add this the other day but it never posted. You did ask a question. The resulting Codes only told me what I already knew. A misfire detected. ( Even the guy down the block knew that)

Yes you right about the AF/mix will be off for awhile because of Cat vs. noCat between the two banks. Maybe the computer will compensate for it maybe not. The important thing thanks to imavettegirl id the car is running now. And running strong.
I will have the car retuned for the cats delete.
This could add 4-6 more HP overall. When I’m done.
I have to do the retune anyway. I added a 2004 Zo6 style valley cover to change the PVC system. I was getting way too much oil vapor in through the intake track. The result was pinging due to the octane level in the AF mixture being diminished because of the mix with oil vapor. With the additional timing I will be able to get a few more HP. Maybe around 10 from where he had to back of the overall timing. Originally he had to back off because of knock. I lost some power over that issue.
I have to re-do the mounts for the duel catch cans. ( I believe in back up)
Also deleted the AIR system from the headers, along with the plumbing, and AIR Pump. Saved about 14 pounds for that stuff. This requires a retune. Because of code throwing.
I Live in Florida, car start up in only in warm weather anyway.
Another thing I realized after this little adventure.
During a test drive, I was increasing the throttle slowly in second, I was just under 3 grand, and I almost floored it. Just hit it about mid way. The car snapped me back in the seat. I was very surprised.
I might just be happy with the HP that I have now. I wanted H/C so I could have an honest 11 sec. street car. But,
Now I’m not so sure about all that work and money. After spending about $ 5,500 what do I really have?? Hopefully a much faster car. But
With increased maintenance, decreased parts life. A lot more temptation to do things I shouldn't. and I really don't want to replace Valve springs every 5k miles or less. I should be able to break into the 11 sec bracket. But maybe I'm in the 12 sec bracket right now?

Right now I have : A modified Haltech Tric Mag air intake, De-screened MAF, Polished and bypassed T/B, Kooks 1.75” stainless headers, Borla XR-1 Exhaust, A Formatto Street tune, Close to 75 pounds less due to throwing away parts that didn’t need to be there for this car. And replacing with lighter ones or nothing.
Car is a 6speed. Lowered 1 inch all around. Flame ball lighted shift ****. 1000amp stereo. CCW Classics. 5.5 inch duel auxiliary driving lights. Fixed headlights waiting to go on. HID Fog lights.
Car feels strong.
I do have a brand new under drive pulley, and was thinking about full roller rockers. Car has always been a very strong runner.
A number of Vette mechanics have told me that they felt the car was one of those few cars that are noticeably faster than similar cars of the same year. That was before the headers and the street tune.

Last edited by Twospeed; 11-01-2010 at 05:09 PM.

Quick Reply: I Need help