C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C1214 (C & H)- Absfixer Standard fix or Surge Supression Upgrade?- Opinions Requested

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 10:38 AM
KrispyZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C1214 (C & H)- Absfixer Standard fix or Surge Supression Upgrade?- Opinions Requested

All,

I will be sending my EBCM off to Brandon at ABSfixer.com to have him repair my EBCM, due to a constant C1214 message that I can no longer clear.

Should I just do the standard $150.00 fix or should I opt for the additional $50.00 charge for the "Surge Supression Upgrade"

Here is what ABSFixer.com says about the upgrade;

Originally Posted by ABSFixer.com
Surge suppresion upgrade is available for your repair. This upgrade is much like the power strip on your home computer. Every time your EBCM receives power from the ignition, it goes through a number of housekeeping routines to make sure everything is working before it activates itself for operation. One of the checks that it performs is to make sure the ABS pump is attached and working correctly. For this procedure to work, the EBCM must send out voltage to the pump for a few milliseconds or just long enough for the module to determine if the pump is in good working order or not. Unfortunately, when this happens, a large voltage spike is generated by the pump. This voltage spike can be very hard on EBCM electronics. We suppress this spike so you don't have problems caused by your ABS system.
So what is everyones opinion?

Is it worth the extra $ for the surge supression upgrade?

Edit: Moved From C5 Scan and Tune
Old 09-27-2010, 11:05 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by KrispyZ06
All,

I will be sending my EBCM off to Brandon at ABSfixer.com to have him repair my EBCM, due to a constant C1214 message that I can no longer clear.

Should I just do the standard $150.00 fix or should I opt for the additional $50.00 charge for the "Surge Supression Upgrade"

Here is what ABSFixer.com says about the upgrade;

So what is everyones opinion?

Is it worth the extra $ for the surge supression upgrade?

Edit: Moved From C5 Scan and Tune

That's interesting. I'd like to know how a pump creates a voltage spike. I could see a "current" spike on start up, but not voltage.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:23 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I had him do the full service to mine-$50 is cheap insurance I think. I think then the ABS pump kicks on there is a spike.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:30 PM
hornet7
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default ABSFixer

He might be referencing to the in-rush current. Sometimes the power source cannot meet the demands of the In-rush value. However, I'm sure the GM circuit designers have compensated for the in-rush current.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:37 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hornet7
He might be referencing to the in-rush current. Sometimes the power source cannot meet the demands of the In-rush value. However, I'm sure the GM circuit designers have compensated for the in-rush current.

If the GM guys did their job right, we would not be talking about EBCM's
You can read his explaination:

https://www.absfixer.com/catalog/pro...a9e3523f9c20c8

Last edited by dougbfresh; 09-27-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:28 AM
KrispyZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
If the GM guys did their job right, we would not be talking about EBCM's
You can read his explaination:

https://www.absfixer.com/catalog/pro...a9e3523f9c20c8

Doug,

His explanation is quoted in the first post.

It really isn't GM's fault as they contracted Delco to make the module. But that is beside the point.

Does anyone know what the surge protection consists of? Just come capicators? Is it the surge that is taking out the EBCM's? I was under the assumption that it was bad relays that were failing, causing the EBCM failures.

BUMP!
Old 09-28-2010, 11:44 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

I'm "assuming" the surge causes the relay contacts to finally fail.
Old 07-26-2023, 01:53 AM
ShanMan
1st Gear

It seems the solder joints on the relay go bad due to the spikes. All you need to do is resolder them and you’re good. It is a pain to get the module out and get it open, but it is doable. Check YouTube. It is now $200 for them to fix it.
Old 07-27-2023, 03:14 AM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ShanMan
It seems the solder joints on the relay go bad due to the spikes. All you need to do is resolder them and you’re good. It is a pain to get the module out and get it open, but it is doable. Check YouTube. It is now $200 for them to fix it.
My take on the issue is the solder joints were bad (cold). Cold solder joints are porous and have low mechanical integrity. Vibration over time fractures these joints. Arching (spikes) traverse the fractures causing the relay failures.
Old 07-27-2023, 10:17 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
I had him do the full service to mine-$50 is cheap insurance I think.

I went through this, myself, last year, and would rather not do it again. I, too, think that $50 is cheap insurance............

Get notified of new replies

To C1214 (C & H)- Absfixer Standard fix or Surge Supression Upgrade?- Opinions Requested

Quick Reply: C1214 (C & H)- Absfixer Standard fix or Surge Supression Upgrade?- Opinions Requested