C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel gage drops to "E" even when full.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 04:34 PM
emueller
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue with my 98 Convertible.

2 Bottles of the techron fuel cleaner and a tank and a hlf of fuel later the fuel guage works again and has for a couple thousand miles.

A bottle of Techron once in a while has kept this problem from coming back.

Give it a try.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I had this problem when I first got my C5 in 2000. I started running Chevron gas exclusively, and the problem went away. I also believe that about that time in California, they lowered the sulfur content in the gas (about the only thing our $.75 billion Air Resources Board has done right). I haven't had a problem since.

Michael
Old 07-16-2011, 12:42 PM
1986coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this problem with every GM vehicle that I have owned since the 1990s. I never trust the gauge fully. My 98 Cavalier used to do it, my 2005 GMC Jimmy gauge isn't accurate, and my 2001 Corvette reads funny. I have always thought that it must be a bad design or bad parts sourcing for it to be a problem in such a variety of vehicles.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:05 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spooky 52
For DeeGee: Thanks for all the information. I'm going to try resetting the codes and see what happens. The fuel problem is something other than the sender, in my opinion, because it does not respond to a full tank and is so intermittent. The seat codes are obvious and now that I know what the codes are, I can expect to see them until I can afford to buy a new seat, or at least new rails and motors, etc. I had to make adapter plates out of 1/4" diamond plate that I had in the shop just to get the original seat back in. That was a lot of fun. NOT! It's going to take time to get this thing sorted out but the information that I am getting from guys like you on this forum is extremely helpful and much appreciated.

For rebelheart: The Seafoam worked, or at least appeared to do so, only once. I subsequently went through a total of seven bottles of the stuff and the problem remains intermittently so I don't think that sulpher is the cause here. I appreciate your input. Thanks
Are you adding the SeaFoam then filling up?If not,you are only getting it into your left fuel tank.We have been using SeaFoam for over 10 years in the shop and it has not failed us once!
Old 11-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Sargechris
Pro

Default My Turn

Yep--my turn with the Fuel Gauge problem was yesterday... Dropped to Zero instantly, etc.... Have always used Techron (car has 45k miles) & use only Chevron fuel...

I cleared the DIC code and it immediately began working fine...

Very strange, indeed!

I hope it keeps working...

Old 11-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by emueller
I had the same issue with my 98 Convertible.

2 Bottles of the techron fuel cleaner and a tank and a hlf of fuel later the fuel guage works again and has for a couple thousand miles.

A bottle of Techron once in a while has kept this problem from coming back.

Give it a try.
One bottle wont fix it for good. You need to use it regularly. I use it every 2 months. No more E issues!
Old 11-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Vicarious.
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

lucky gave him all the advice he needed in post #2.... wow
Old 11-23-2011, 02:43 PM
joe Villarreal
Instructor

Default fuel guage problems

If techron doesnt do the trick get your warranty and take it to the dealer they replaced both sending units in my 2000 vette total cost almost 2grand in parts and labor and only had a $100.00 deductable works perfect and no problems drop a bottle of techron every 4000 miles
Old 11-23-2011, 03:31 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread, but GM had a PCM reflash campaign to help prevent the gash gauge from dropping to "E" so easily. They reprogrammed the logic to make it less sensitive to throwing the DTC associated with the fuel sensor issue.

I had mine re-flashed years ago, and just use Chevron gasoline with no other additives and haven't had this issue since.

=======================================

Subject: Erratic Fuel Gauge Reading (Reprogram the PCM)
Source: Chevrolet Dealer Technical Service Bulletin
Number: 02-06-04-010A - (06/27/2003)
Models: 1999-2002 Chevrolet Corvette

This bulletin is being revised to add models and update the Correction and Warranty Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-04-010 (Section 06- Engine).

Condition:
Some owners may comment about the fuel gauge intermittently indicating an empty reading and then return to the correct fuel level indication.

Cause:
This condition may result when fuel blends containing aggressive sulphur compounds react with the fuel sender assembly, which may result in voltage spikes being induced on the fuel level signal to the PCM. Use of another fuel blend may reverse this reaction and return the system to normal operation.

Correction:
Reprogram the PCM with the new service calibration which is available in the June 2003, TechlineŽ TIS release sent to the dealers on 6/28/03. Use the TIS Version 7 or later data update.

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 11-23-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:36 PM
George Hubert
Racer

Default techron

My fuel guage works only with techron in the gas, standard oil or as an additive.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I found it's cheaper in the long run to just go to AutoZone and get the $100 code reader. If the guage does the "E" thing just plug in the reader and go to "Clear Codes". If it tells you that there are no codes and asks do you want to clear them anyway, push "Yes". The guage comes back into service. It will take only about 10 times to pay for the reader at $11 or more per bottle. Takes about two minutes to run the test.

Jim
Are you seriously recommending we buy a code reader that will not display all the codes of our vehicle, when our wonderful C5s will gladly tell you all the codes present (AND allow you to reset them) without spending a dime??
Old 07-26-2014, 12:08 PM
Carcrisis
Instructor

After more than a year my '02 vert all of a sudden displayed the tell tale "E" on the gas gauge. In the past, as long as I didn't completely fill the tank, i.e: nothing more than 7/8th full it would operate fine. But yesterday, while displaying a hair under half a tank it suddenly went to "E". So, after driving another 20+ miles the gauge began working again. I then immediately bought a bottle of Chevron Techron, poured it in and added 9+ gallons of gas bringing the gauge to just under 7/8ths. Today, after initially starting the car and driving about 8 miles, the gauge worked flawlessly from the start. My next test is to fill it up to "full" to see if the old symptom of dropping to "E" after approximately 40 miles still persists. This faulty fuel sensor has been an issue with this Corvette since I took ownership 7 and a half years ago, and the original owner reluctantly admitted it happened to him at least once also.

Carcrisis
Old 07-26-2014, 04:52 PM
joe Villarreal
Instructor

Just keep using techron on your vehicle every three months and your vehicle will show better gas mileage and gauge will show improvement.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:22 PM
Carcrisis
Instructor

Default Chevron Techron

Originally Posted by joe Villarreal
Just keep using techron on your vehicle every three months and your vehicle will show better gas mileage and gauge will show improvement.
Joe,

Thanks for the advise. I'll do what you suggested and hopefully it will continue to improve.

Carcrisis
Old 07-28-2014, 12:50 PM
Dragon Daddy
Intermediate

Default Chevron Premium

Originally Posted by joe Villarreal
You can get the same result just by using Chevron Premium gasoline.
It worked for my '97.
That's all I use now, and I have never had a repeat problem.
Cheers.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:30 PM
mjohnson68
Racer

Anyone have some installation info on replacing the sending units? I have had my 01 for 10 years now and the gauge has never worked since I bought it. I have tried all the fuel additives and only use Chevron fuel but nothing seems to work. I did just ask GM about replacing them and they of course said it was about 2500.00 to do because of the new tanks and sending units are different than the original ones. I know this should be a fairly simple fix to do yourself but would some info on how bad it could be....

Mike.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:06 AM
Carcrisis
Instructor

Default C5 Fuel Sensor Problem

Originally Posted by mjohnson68
Anyone have some installation info on replacing the sending units? I have had my 01 for 10 years now and the gauge has never worked since I bought it. I have tried all the fuel additives and only use Chevron fuel but nothing seems to work. I did just ask GM about replacing them and they of course said it was about 2500.00 to do because of the new tanks and sending units are different than the original ones. I know this should be a fairly simple fix to do yourself but would some info on how bad it could be....

Mike.
Mike,

That's just it, replacing the fuel sensors is no simple fix. You have to drop both fuel tanks from the car, and to do that requires loosening rear suspension components and moving them around to achieve the required clearance to remove the tanks. I wouldn't want to try to do it on my own.

Carcrisis

Last edited by Carcrisis; 01-15-2015 at 07:09 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel gage drops to "E" even when full.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:24 PM
thorvette
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Fuel gauge issue.

I used to commute between Houston and The Woodlands in my 98 when I got the exact same issue. I tried Techron, but that did not work. I started to look for other explanations and noticed that the gauge fel to zero at the exact same spot along the route, after about 50 mls of driving. This happened ove and over again. My conclusion was that there is a fault in the system that arises after a certain period of driving or based on miles. Explaining it I cannot. I just learned to live with it. I certainly do not believe tha any chemicals would make a difference.

I brought up this problem some time ago but I'm going to try again.

The fuel gage in my '02 will suddenly drop to "E", even after just being filled. Several of you recommended Seafoam and I tried it. It only worked once. I finally bought a code reader from Autozone and tried to find out what code was being thrown. The scanner showed no codes but when I proceeded with the "Clear All Codes, the gage went back to normal and the "Check Gages" light went out. This has happened several times now and is more of a PITA than anything else.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this malfunction? I am at my wits end with this. It's obviously not crud on the sensors and even after filling the tank the problem remains until I clear it with the reader.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jim
Old 01-15-2015, 01:49 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by mjohnson68

Mike.
Mike,

On the 2001 the fuel level sensor is built into the fuel pump. It is easy to access. All you have to do is run you car down to almost no fuel, then you remove the metal shield protecting the fuel tank on the driver's side. After you do that, you will see the metal hat housing the fuel pump and level sensor bolted into the tank. It is on its side and at the bottom side of the tank. You will need fuel line disconnect tools, if memory serves me right. Once you disconnect the lines, you just unbolt the metal flange and you remove the whole pump assembly. Expect even with little to no fuel in the car to get a few more gallons. I used a big catch basin to let the fuel drain. After that you can examine for your problem, or just replace the whole fuel pump module.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:29 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread, but GM had a PCM reflash campaign to help prevent the gash gauge from dropping to "E" so easily. They reprogrammed the logic to make it less sensitive to throwing the DTC associated with the fuel sensor issue.

I had mine re-flashed years ago, and just use Chevron gasoline with no other additives and haven't had this issue since.

=======================================

Subject: Erratic Fuel Gauge Reading (Reprogram the PCM)
Source: Chevrolet Dealer Technical Service Bulletin
Number: 02-06-04-010A - (06/27/2003)
Models: 1999-2002 Chevrolet Corvette

This bulletin is being revised to add models and update the Correction and Warranty Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-04-010 (Section 06- Engine).

Condition:
Some owners may comment about the fuel gauge intermittently indicating an empty reading and then return to the correct fuel level indication.

Cause:
This condition may result when fuel blends containing aggressive sulphur compounds react with the fuel sender assembly, which may result in voltage spikes being induced on the fuel level signal to the PCM. Use of another fuel blend may reverse this reaction and return the system to normal operation.

Correction:
Reprogram the PCM with the new service calibration which is available in the June 2003, TechlineŽ TIS release sent to the dealers on 6/28/03. Use the TIS Version 7 or later data update.

EXACTLY! This TSB is the fix for the problem. Screwing around with different types of gas or Techron are not fixes. If you have the fuel gauge crashing to zero problem, get the fix done and the problem goes away! My '98 used to do it all the time. It has never happened since I had the reflash done years ago - and I run mostly cheap supermarket gas.

This fix is well known and well documented. Why are we still seeing discussion on this topic?

Quick Reply: Fuel gage drops to "E" even when full.