C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wierd pop or clunk comming from right rear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:14 AM
upsta8NY
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd pop or clunk comming from right rear?

The past couple of days when I leave my house I get about an 1/8 mile when I get a slight pop or clunck from the right rear.Any one know what it could be or what to look for?Thank you for any help.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:22 AM
0Paul Ruggeri
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does it happen when you hit a bump? Accelerating, turning?
Old 09-08-2010, 12:28 PM
ZFORME
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fiberglass panel behind the passenger seat flexes and makes a pop sound to relax I bet. This is what mine was doing in the am leaving for work.

Last edited by ZFORME; 09-08-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:51 PM
MagRedConv
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

Tighten your sway bar end links.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:03 PM
upsta8NY
Racer

It happens when i take a left or a right out of my develpoment onto a 55mph road so i have to gun it at times.So wether going left or right it makes the noise at the same point in both directions.I will try to get under ther and tighten sway links.There are no other noises but a knock,or clunk(once thats it).Only time it makes this noise is in the am when i leave for work.It may happen other times but i am doing other stuff to realize it.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:58 AM
c5blkvetteguy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just started to have the same issue. I will check my end links as well.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:32 AM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Sway bar links with excess play will rattle at any little bump. What I would expect to be the issue is the rear axle nut on the right side is not at torque spec. It is a known issue where the shaft spline to hub will make a click type noise when the nut is loose. Some folks will even lube the spine before retorquing the nut.

Last edited by Eric D; 09-09-2010 at 12:21 PM. Reason: wording error, fixed now...I hope.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:29 PM
upsta8NY
Racer

What is the tq specs ill try that.

I found thru a search that it looks to be 118ft lbs.Im gonna get on that as my sway links were tight to spec.

Last edited by upsta8NY; 09-09-2010 at 08:46 PM. Reason: found info
Old 09-09-2010, 08:48 PM
upsta8NY
Racer

Sorry for the double post but i did notice it only happen when th car sits for a long time,even over night.It doesnt make the noise after i leave work.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:56 AM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Let us know what you find after checking the torque of the axle nuts. The over night time fits the issue. That's how mine would act.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:13 PM
upsta8NY
Racer

I didnt get a chance to tighten the axle nut this weekend but for the hell of it i did press my hand behind the passenger seat and pressed the panel and it is making the exact sound,so now i have to figure out how to control that as it is driving me nuts.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:28 AM
SSmokinSS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric D
Sway bar links with excess play will rattle at any little bump. What I would expect to be the issue is the rear axle nut on the right side is not at torque spec. It is a known issue where the shaft spline to hub will make a click type noise when the nut is loose. Some folks will even lube the spine before retorquing the nut.
This is so awesome. I've been putting up with that noise for like 3 weeks now. I already lubed up everything underneath the car. Went to the local dealer today, picked up some new axle nuts, put em on to spec and BOOM! Noise is gone!
Old 09-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Rohan
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I had the same problem. Do you still have the original bushings in your sway bar end links? Those will pop and clunk too when they dry out and get old. Go with polyurethane bushings and make sure they are tightened to spec.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:10 AM
1stGlance
CF Senior Moments Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by upsta8NY
The past couple of days when I leave my house I get about an 1/8 mile when I get a slight pop or clunck from the right rear.Any one know what it could be or what to look for?Thank you for any help.
I had / have similiar issue and will be taking my car in to get some help checking it out. I'm wondering if one of the rear CV joints might be going bad ?
Old 09-15-2010, 05:05 PM
3rd Childhood
Advanced

Here's part of a post I did a couple years back on this subject. It might solve your problem.

"While many of the forum members have discovered lubrication to cure the popping problem, I think the root cause of the problem is misunderstood, and this is why some of the cures have not been totally effective.

On a new car, there is very little lash between the joint and hub splines so there can be no relative motion between the joint and the mating parts (hub and bearing). If the splines deform a bit over time there is potential for this motion and only the torque of the nut is preventing it. So what happens is that, on torque reversal, we overcome the friction on mating surfaces and the splines "pop" as they take up the lash.

So lubricating the splines doesn't really help. The issue is the mating surfaces which are doing what's called stick/slip. If I had this problem, I would lube the face of the nut and the face of the joint which contacts the bearing. This eliminates the "stick" part of stick/slip and the pop should disappear.

This is a well know problem in the industry and is why some car manufacturers use a helical spline on the joint so there is a press fit with the hub. This eliminates the lash but makes removing the halfshaft much more difficult."
Old 09-15-2010, 09:17 PM
upsta8NY
Racer

This morning after i drove into work and for the hell of it i put my hand on the rear panel behind pass seat and felt the pop where the noise would be coming from.Is there a solution to reinfoce this panel?
Old 09-16-2010, 01:09 AM
Martin555
Advanced

Same thing for me, last night 1 time out of 3 going from a complete stop at a light the sound was there.

I will buy the axle nut and change that. It is getting worse since it started two weeks ago!

Get notified of new replies

To Wierd pop or clunk comming from right rear?

Quick Reply: Wierd pop or clunk comming from right rear?