C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating... Looking for ideas before I start throwing money at fixes..

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:55 AM
VETLAGD
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Default Overheating... Looking for ideas before I start throwing money at fixes..

Back story... I have a 2000 C5 that I have had since 2004 (daily driver). Until about a year ago, my coolant temps would consistently run around 192. About a year ago, I noticed that the temps started running slightly higher (around 196 to 198). Didnt matter if I was on the highway or in town, my temps very rarely climbed above 205.

In the last month, my car has been overheating quickly. Specifically when I am in stop and go traffic or when I pull up behind someone in traffic, it is not uncommon for my temps to hit 235 to 240. As soon as I am in open air, temps come back down to around 198/199

I took it to my local mechanic and he found a leak from the coolant reservoir. Replaced that and I am still overheating. Checked to see if I sucked up a plastic bag (nothing), Coolant is new from my reservoir change. I have the upcoming weekend slated for troubleshooting and repair. I am assuming thermostat or water pump but wanted to check with the experts before I start taking things apart.

I have read numerous threads and know that the temps I am talking about are still not out of the norm, but for my car they are definitely running hot.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 09-01-2010, 10:00 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

When was the last time you cleaned out the radiator and AC condenser ?
Old 09-01-2010, 10:23 AM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
When was the last time you cleaned out the radiator and AC condenser ?

Makes a HUGE difference in coolant temps...
Old 09-01-2010, 10:27 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by VETLAGD
Back story... I have a 2000 C5 that I have had since 2004 (daily driver). Until about a year ago, my coolant temps would consistently run around 192. About a year ago, I noticed that the temps started running slightly higher (around 196 to 198). Didnt matter if I was on the highway or in town, my temps very rarely climbed above 205.

In the last month, my car has been overheating quickly. Specifically when I am in stop and go traffic or when I pull up behind someone in traffic, it is not uncommon for my temps to hit 235 to 240. As soon as I am in open air, temps come back down to around 198/199

I took it to my local mechanic and he found a leak from the coolant reservoir. Replaced that and I am still overheating. Checked to see if I sucked up a plastic bag (nothing), Coolant is new from my reservoir change. I have the upcoming weekend slated for troubleshooting and repair. I am assuming thermostat or water pump but wanted to check with the experts before I start taking things apart.

I have read numerous threads and know that the temps I am talking about are still not out of the norm, but for my car they are definitely running hot.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Have you tested the cooling fans? Are they working? Since it cools down when you are under way, it suggests that coolant is flowing, and is sufficient air exchange. Checking the radiator/condensor is good practice, but I'd really want to know what's going on with the fans.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by VETLAGD

A C5 will never run at a constant temp.. to say it was running at 192 constantly is impossible just by design.. we designed the electric fans to come on in different modes high speed and low speed fan and both fans have high and low capability.. normal operating temp for this car , a bottom feeder depends on the ambient temperature and the surface temperature of the roadway. take note to the red line .. 190 to 240 are normal temps..the car was designed to run hotter than what most people think is a normal temp.

when you are under 35 mph and the fan come on they can only suck up air that is available.. if you are on a black top surface that temp can be 140F.. there is little to no heat exchange only shear. this is where the temps can creep up and this is normal..

The only problem that you have is the fact that you understand the range is normal but it is happening quicker than before... let me put it into this context... If you are running and it is relatively easy you run at a certain pace.. then all of a sudden you block off one nostile and cut your air intake in half what happens.. same thing with a bottom breather.. when you cut the heat exchange in half, you loose the ability to cool the system as you previously did.. what you need to do it take your finger off the nostril of your car.. I can guaranteer you that you have successfully cut the heat exchange volume in half, via the ac condenser and the radiator which sits 2 inches behind the condensor..there are two sets of cooling vanes that are susceptible to all types of debris, from bug guts to leaves, and parts of leaves to sand and pollen and fuzzies.. not only does the ac condenser get clogged, but the radiator directly behind also get s clogged.. I clean my condenser and radiator out every spring and get about 3/4 cup of crap..once you cleaned these two things from back to front. you will go back to normal operation.. you have to remove the four bolts that hold to radiator shroud to expose the back of the condenser and the front of the radiator.. Any ideas?

Thanks
This is the long version of what AU N GEL said
Old 09-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Like the others have already said, start by checking the electric cooling fans, and make sure that the condenser and radiator fins are free of any debris. Keep us posted.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Of all things stated so far, I believe this is the very first thing you should do, and do it regularly:

" clean the condenser and radiator - once you cleaned these two things from back to front. you will go back to normal operation.. you have to remove the four bolts that hold to radiator shroud to expose the back of the condenser and the front of the radiator.."

-
Old 09-01-2010, 01:17 PM
stormrider
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When is the last time you changed your coolant? You should replace your coolant every 100K miles OR 5 years. If you exceed these parameters you can clog up your tubes; that is what happened to me.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:03 PM
VETLAGD
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06

WOW! Thanks for all the responses... I will check the fans, however, even when the air is on it still gets hot... I have not checked the condenser/radiator but will do that first thing when I get to work on it. Had to pick it up today and bring it home... 6 mile ride... It heated right up and settled at 239 while moving in clean air and would then come down to 235 at a red light. My AC was on the whole time so im definitely interested in the fans as I would have expected it to control the temps somewhat...

Anyway, thank you for the ideas. I will update this weekend once I have had a chance to work on it.

Thanks again.

J
Old 09-03-2010, 11:41 AM
VETLAGD
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06

Went out this morning to run the car up to temp and see if my fans came on... Like clock work at 226 the low speed fans came on and did their job and began cooling the engine back down... within seconds it was back down to 219 and dropping when i finally turned the car off...

Think i discovered the culprit though...

When I had the coolant reservoir replaced, I dont think they burped the system... I looked at my coolant level when the car was cold and the coolant level was barely visible in the reservoir at all... Added coolant and it seemed to make a difference. It took a lot longer to bring the car up to 225 than I have seen in weeks... I'm letting it cool a bit now and then I'm going to check it again...

Hopefully a test drive after the burping process will be in order...

Thanks for all the help and I will continue to post... Regardless the radiator and condenser are next...

Jason

Get notified of new replies

To Overheating... Looking for ideas before I start throwing money at fixes..

Quick Reply: Overheating... Looking for ideas before I start throwing money at fixes..