C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my fuel sending unit going out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Coolface08
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my fuel sending unit going out?

Today, at 3/4 tank, my C5 decided to show empty on the gauge, nothing for range, etc. When I shut the car off and turned it back on, everything was working properly again. Is this a sign that my fuel sending unit may go out soon?
Old 08-24-2010, 03:36 PM
David426
Safety Car

Received 130 Likes on 39 Posts

When was the last time you added Techron? You need to put a bottle in everytime you do an oil change... Its called fuel sending unit maintanence.. If you don't maintain the sending units they (2 of them) will fail and it will cost you $$$ to get new ones installed, as they are inside the gas tanks. Regular maintainance is a must on any C5 fuel system.. Failure to do so will result in a premature failure of 1 or both sending units. There are over 1000 posts on this subject. Very common problem. The Auto parts stores run a sale on Techron Concentrate about 3 times a year.. Some folks use Seafoam, which is another fuel system cleaner that is well reviewed... Techron is formulated to dissolve the sulfer deposits and is very effective if you use it on a regular basis.. If neglected the deposits will eventually get to the point where Techron will not dissolve them, and you will have to replace both of the sending units, which is not cheap...

Last edited by David426; 08-24-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by David426
When was the last time you added Techron? You need to put a bottle in everytime you do an oil change... Its called fuel sending unit maintanence.. If you don't maintain the sending units they (2 of them) will fail and it will cost you $$$ to get new ones installed, as they are inside the gas tanks. Regular maintainance is a must on any C5 fuel system.. Failure to do so will result in a premature failure of 1 or both sending units. There are over 1000 posts on this subject. Very common problem. The Auto parts stores run a sale on Techron Concentrate about 3 times a year.. Some folks use Seafoam, which is another fuel system cleaner that is well reviewed... Techron is formulated to dissolve the sulfer deposits and is very effective if you use it on a regular basis.. If neglected the deposits will eventually get to the point where Techron will not dissolve them, and you will have to replace both of the sending units, which is not cheap...

Old 08-24-2010, 06:13 PM
mmartinez
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 434 Posts

Default Techron

I always use Chevron premium gas, have never had any problem with my sending unit.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:13 PM
96vette84
Instructor

Buy good gas an you will not have that problem, teckron at oil change.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:46 PM
Coolface08
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by David426
Thank you.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:21 AM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Probably not. Common problem with the Corvette is a sulfur oxidation that builds up on the fuel sensor. Easiest solution is to buy a 20 Oz. bottle of Techron at your parts store (also Wally World) and dump it into a less than half full tank and then fill the tank. May take a repeat application to completely clean the sensor. Then retreat every time you change the oil.
Had this happen to my daily driver it took 3 tank fulls with Techron to get it working again.

Get notified of new replies

To Is my fuel sending unit going out?

Quick Reply: Is my fuel sending unit going out?