C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust manifold gasket install

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 02:02 AM
wagner262
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default exhaust manifold gasket install

I have an air leak so im replacing the gasket on the drivers side because thats where the leak seems to be coming from.

so far i have the plugs all disconnected and the six bolts holding the manifold to the block but the manifolds dont seem to be moving. at first i just thought the manifolds where fused to the block but now im thinking there might be another bolt father down holding the manifolds in place? am i missing something? do i need to disconect it from below or can i do the gasket swap without jacking the car up?

thanks mitchell
Old 07-16-2012, 06:48 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

if the manifold was on a flex pipe you may be ok, 3 nuts that attach it to the Hpipe; in Cali you may be lucky, but often you'll need heat to break them free without snapping the studs

Use OEM GM MLS gaskets, round 00down; oval 01up
Old 07-16-2012, 01:43 PM
wagner262
Pro

what do you mean by the flex pipe? i was hoping i could skip disconnecting it from the hpipe as I only want to replace the gasket.... but your saying i need to disconnect it inorder to put the gasket on?
Old 07-16-2012, 03:37 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wagner262
what do you mean by the flex pipe? i was hoping i could skip disconnecting it from the hpipe as I only want to replace the gasket.... but your saying i need to disconnect it inorder to put the gasket on?
Yes you need to loosen those bolts at the least, he was saying if there was a flex pipe then you would be able to do it but there isnt one on the corvette so you have to unbolt the manifold. I personally didnt have any trouble getting my 3 bolts on each side undone and my car has seen a fair amount of salt and lots of rain. I just hit it with some pb blaster and let it sit for a few min and off they came.
BTW it had something like 108k miles on it at the time.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:45 PM
wagner262
Pro

thanks guys! thats all i need to know

Get notified of new replies

To exhaust manifold gasket install

Quick Reply: exhaust manifold gasket install