C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electrical cooling fan question

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 09:41 PM
cracker Bear
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical cooling fan question

so.. im having some cooling fan probs... long story.. what i need to know is , do the cooling fans run in series electrically for low then parralel for high? or is there even a low and high???
Old 08-20-2010, 10:56 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, there are three relays with one of them simply being a toggle. I believe it's 44. From what I remember 45 energizes at low speed and 44 directs the series power from the driver's side fan to the passenger side fan then to ground. When 43 and 44 are energized (high speed) 44 re-directs the power from driver's side fan directly to ground and 43 sends power to the passenger side fan.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:47 PM
cracker Bear
Racer

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
They do run in series for low speed operation with half the voltage across each fan motor. Then in high speed they get switched to a parallel configuration with 12 volts across each fan. Here's a wiring diagram:

For low speed operation relay 45 is triggered putting the fans is series through relay 45's normal position. Then when high speed mode is needed both relay 43 and 45 are triggered. Relay 44 ground's the left fan and relay 43 provides the 12 volts for the right fan which already has a ground connection. Check the 3 fuses as well as the 3 relays if you are having problems with the fan operation.

Describe what your problems are and the failed component(s) can be determined.
well i bottomed out the front end and the drivers side fan got burried into the abs module which i think it burned to pretty bad.. blew a 30a fuse. i was already having some cooling issues with the motor swap . so i decided to add a pusher fan .. but i didnt relay isolate this fan. i just ran it parallel to the passanger side.. i keep blowing fuses and its not cooling well at all... ive already cleaned out the rad and condensor,, so now i know i need to tag the positive wire as a trigger and relay isolate the pusher fan ,, and get to high flow fans to replace the stockers.. last question.. whats the amp draw on one stock fan? if no one knows thats cool i know what the amp limitations are of the electrical system.mm errrgh,, ya know if it isnt one thing its another.. i was sure that when i put this ls3 in that i would be done for awhile.. looks like im just getting started,, and to top it off my fuel pressure is any thing but consistent.. going to start with replacing the fuel filter that houses the fuel pressure regulator.. thanks for every ones help .one problem solved and a whole host of others to work on
Old 10-18-2010, 08:27 PM
da_vato
Instructor

So do both fans work when energized low or high? I have a similar issue but I believe only one fan is coming on during low and both for high.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:41 PM
PEERPSI
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

When you swaped in the LS3 is it a higher power engine? Did you make any changes to the cooling system, larger rad?
Old 10-19-2010, 09:54 AM
da_vato
Instructor

well it was the drivers only..... today I went out to check it out and theyre both working in low...... I have been slowly fixing some subtle ground issues maybe I fixed it. Also when I first command the high fans it makes a loud noise like a starter solenoid perhaps the fans are just on their way out???

Get notified of new replies

To electrical cooling fan question

Quick Reply: electrical cooling fan question