C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

melting wires, round two.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 01:44 PM
NSTG8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default melting wires, round two.

okay so last summer I ran into Charge System Fault messages and the such, turned out to be some burnt up wires from the header on the pass. side.

mainly the wire running from the positive battery terminal to the starter post to the alternator post.

so I ran into some electrical issues the other day and after replacing the alternator and that not fixing it and then taking a closer look (like i should have from the start) - the wires by the pass. header appear burnt again. :argh: .. off comes the header .. again.

any solutions for a wire wrap that won't burn under the extreme heats of Florida sun and high temp exhausts? I mean I want to be able to haul my girl across the alley (Alligator Alley for those not in FL) in 5th at 2500 without burning up wires.

thoughts?
Old 08-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

WOW !! Thats EASY. Just GOOGLE thermal heat wrap and tons of things come up. Heres what I use.

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/he...eld_sleeve.php

I also order some nylon wool insulation and glue it inside that wrap. That adds even more protection. Ive made the following shields with that stuff.

- AC Compressor shield
- Starter shield
- Clutch line shield
- Wiring shields.
- AC low pressure line shields.

BC
Old 08-10-2010, 04:36 PM
NSTG8R
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
WOW !! Thats EASY. Just GOOGLE thermal heat wrap and tons of things come up. Heres what I use.

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/he...eld_sleeve.php

I also order some nylon wool insulation and glue it inside that wrap. That adds even more protection. Ive made the following shields with that stuff.

- AC Compressor shield
- Starter shield
- Clutch line shield
- Wiring shields.
- AC low pressure line shields.

BC
lol. obviously I google'd it first. I was just looking for a particular brand or item (like what you've posted) or maybe something I could obtain locally.

thanks bill.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Bakersfield
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it is the heat inside the car that is causing your problem. Here in Bakersfield, it can get to 110 in the summer and we have computer systems in metal cabinets that sit in the direct sunlight with no cooling fans and I never had wires change color. I think you still have a short somewhere that is getting your wiring too hot and that is discoloring your wiring. Have you changed any fuses? If you have, double check the amp ratings on them and make sure they are correct before you wiring shorts out and burns up more than the wires.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:41 PM
NSTG8R
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bakersfield
I don't think it is the heat inside the car that is causing your problem. Here in Bakersfield, it can get to 110 in the summer and we have computer systems in metal cabinets that sit in the direct sunlight with no cooling fans and I never had wires change color. I think you still have a short somewhere that is getting your wiring too hot and that is discoloring your wiring. Have you changed any fuses? If you have, double check the amp ratings on them and make sure they are correct before you wiring shorts out and burns up more than the wires.
Wires sit approx. 1-2" from headers which radiate somewhere around 600 degrees.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Bakersfield
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NSTG8R
Wires sit approx. 1-2" from headers which radiate somewhere around 600 degrees.

Sorry, I missed that. That would definitely alter the color of the wire.

Get notified of new replies

To melting wires, round two.

Quick Reply: melting wires, round two.