C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starts and Dies

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Cpetty
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starts and Dies

My 2003 z06 start and dies will not run but a sec I put a new red top in it and cleaned all grounds and battery ends dis has service colunm,service ABS, traction sys, Active hndlg and the codes are PCM p1285 p1286 TCS c1233 SDM b0017 b0026 b0051 hvac b0338 and all are H C the recall has not been done on the car I have a column byass but even if it's in or out I get the message and the pull key the fuse box cover don't have the fuse # in it it's gone I cleaned the ign switch and the key and checked the ohms on the keys and the switch on the vats sys looks good to me help please
Old 08-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Pull Fuse #25 for 15 seconds and see what happens. Sometimes the column lock circuit gets confused when you have a battery problem. Not sure how the bypass affects it when that happens.

If VATS was bad the engine wouldn't start at all.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
427troy (05-14-2023)
Old 08-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Cpetty
Cruising

That's one of the deals I have I don't know what fuse is 25 I don't have the cover for the fuse box and it have the fuse numbers in it does anyone have a pic of one
Old 08-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Cpetty
Cruising

Ok 25 fuse didn't work still will not start anymore suggestions help
Old 08-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Cpetty
Cruising

Today I check the fuel pressure and it's good but with a injector light it flash for a sec and goes out something is whiting the injector off is any of my codes kill codes help please
Old 08-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Cpetty
Cruising

I guess the BCM is bad
Old 08-07-2010, 06:34 PM
westez
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure pellet is still on key. If it looks ok clean it with alcohol....
Old 08-08-2010, 01:24 AM
pql-lbc
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Sounds like the same issue I had a bit ago. The engine cranks, starts then immediately dies correct? Turned out it was a worn out chip on the primary key for me.

I purchased a new key from an Ebay vendor for about $20 shipped. You have to get a multi-meter to measure the Ohms reading on your key so they can pre-program it for you before shipping. Then all you have to do is get the new key cut when you get it in the mail. This solved my starting problem. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Cpetty
Cruising

Ok got a new key today some thing starts and immediately dies
Old 08-09-2010, 11:44 PM
pql-lbc
Pro

Hey Chief/ So you're saying it still does the exact same thing with the new key? Upon start up, it will crank/fire up and then immediately dies out?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:40 AM
twalter
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having the exact same problem. The car will fire up immediately and then die just as fast as it started. Once in a awhile it will actually remain running, but it usually takes between 6-10 tries. After several starting attempts I will usually smell gas, but can't find any leaks, loose fuel lines, etc.... I don't have any codes and am still looking for the answer to this problem as well. I will try my spare key and see what happens.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:36 AM
twalter
Intermediate

Well, the spare key approach didn't work. I'm at a loss. Anyone else ever have this issue?
Old 09-01-2012, 02:35 PM
utryd2
Melting Slicks

Anyone ever come up with a solution? I am having that issue. Starts and immediately stalls. No codes at all, vats is turned off, new crank sensor and all other sensors read fine on tech2.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:20 PM
fishmen222
Instructor

If fuel pressure is ok, search the ignition switch repiar thread by Bill Curlee. Both of your situations sound familiar to me. First time you do it, it will take 90 minutes. Second time...forty minutes at worst with beer, and it costs nothing but time to do. Common problem in these cars. Mine would "catch" (the moment you know to release the key) and then not start. Sometimes it would take multiple tries to stay running. The contact area on these switches are small and tend to burn over time. The key here is the starter works (so not VATS related) and no codes thrown. May not be your issue, but can't beat free repairs on these cars. One trick I learned on mine was to apply slight pressure on the key to the passenger side when starting. Sounds odd, but I guess the freeplay in the switch when altered a little allowed more contact area. For months before I got off my butt and actually repaired it, it would start every time from the passenger seat, but not in the drivers seat because I think I was unknowingly pulling the key to that side. Can't beat the looks from folks starting a vette in that manner. Best of luck!
Old 09-01-2012, 05:34 PM
utryd2
Melting Slicks

Thanks Ill look into that. My car doesnt seem to have any problem actually starting, it dies as soon as I let go of the key.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:10 PM
pql-lbc
Pro

Originally Posted by pql-lbc
Sounds like the same issue I had a bit ago. The engine cranks, starts then immediately dies correct? Turned out it was a worn out chip on the primary key for me.

I purchased a new key from an Ebay vendor for about $20 shipped. You have to get a multi-meter to measure the Ohms reading on your key so they can pre-program it for you before shipping. Then all you have to do is get the new key cut when you get it in the mail. This solved my starting problem. Good luck.
Starting problem is back so new key wasn't the answer for me.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:41 PM
utryd2
Melting Slicks

Did the ignition switch repair and no change. It did have some dark burn spots. Ive been trying to read up and see if anyone else has found a fix or a cause. Came across info stating it could be a passlock issue. Now my car doesnt have a bypass and Ive never had a problem but I did get the message remove key for 10 sec a few times. Anyone think this could be sending a bad signal to the bcm and the bcm shutting it down? It stops as if I turned the key off. Not a missing or abrupt stall. Just a real quick on and off. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Starts and Dies

Old 09-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Burdedw
Intermediate

I had a similar problem and it turned out that it was the fuel pressure regulator diaphram leaking badly and flooding the engine.
If you smell gas that may be it.
You can try starting in "clear flood mode", turn the key on, hold the gas pedal to the floor and see if it starts. If it does the engine was flooding and too much gas to keep running.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 AM
0b732colj
1st Gear

hey there guys we all seem to be in the same boat, i have a 98 coupe and i had to have the wiring harness worked on over the weekend due to a short in the parking light, after it was all put back to gather i got multiple messages saying service column lock, service vehicle soon, and i try to start it, it fires and dies, i do smell gas, iv tried holding the petal all the way down and starting and it wont fire at all. if i push the gas right when it fires it starts reves high, and dies. after doing this over and over and over for 30 or so min. it will finnaly start and stay running untill i turn it off and then the same thing agian, i also got a message come up saying remove key for 10 seconds, what would make it do this but then let it drive fine when it actually starts. also the mechanic was shady and there are a few connectors that are left unplugged idk where they are spose to go. its all under the dash i have probably 3-4 connectors that are not plugged in. and then there was a little whit box that was non connected to anything but it self if that makes any sence it was orriganily connected to the bar that runs across under the dash. what is that is there a place it shold go? becasue its not connected to anything anymore.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Old Horsepower
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thing and learned it was the anti theft turning off the fuel pump as soon as it started. But for me clearing all the codes, cleaning the battery cables, and installiing a new battery fixed everything.

Quick Reply: Starts and Dies