C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust fume smell

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:45 PM
resipsa
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Exhaust fume smell

I had a headers, free flow cats, and x-pipe installed on my 02 Z a few months ago, along with a tune. When I get on the car in 3rd gear between 70-100, and then back off, I get a strong exhaust fume smell in the car. Happens with the windows open or closed. Is this typical?
Old 07-28-2010, 12:14 AM
0331MARINE
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: You know your drunk when you swerve to miss the tree then you realize its your air freshener! Covington Ga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put the car on a lift and check for any leaks around the gaskets. Mine was like that and I found 2 leaks. I still have the smell, but its not as bad. Most of my problem is I dont have cats on my car.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I agree. You have an exhaust leak somewhere. I did a seafoam treatment and when I cranked it up the next day, i found out that the passengers side A.I R. Flange on the header was leaking a LOT! The gasket on the bottom side of the flange blew out some time ago.

Examine the exhaust system at the flanges (ALL OF THEM) and feel for leaks.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust fume smell

Quick Reply: Exhaust fume smell