C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Pressure Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 03:42 PM
edusmc1
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Air Pressure Sensors

I have a 2001 C5 and I just want to know what does the tire pressure sensor do other than monitor the tire pressures. I need to replace mine and just want to make sure if I dont replace soon it want hurt anything. Thanks for your help.

Ed
Semper Fi

Last edited by edusmc1; 06-26-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:16 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,300 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It monitors the pressures in your tires.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:01 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by edusmc1
I have a 2001 C5 and I just want to know what does the tire pressure sensor do other than monitor the tire pressures. I need to replace mine and just want to make sure if I dont replace soon it want hurt anything. Thanks for your help.

Ed
Semper Fi
Fixed
Old 06-26-2010, 05:21 PM
WWK888
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/off-...k-marines.html
Old 06-26-2010, 08:03 PM
edusmc1
Instructor

Default TPMS on C5

Originally Posted by edusmc1

Ed
Semper Fi
OK I know it monitor the tire pressure but will it affect anything else if the sensors are not working, the reason I ask is it seems like it's not responding when I get on it from a dead stand still since the sensors went out.

Thanks
ED

Last edited by edusmc1; 06-26-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:12 PM
lander
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Did you look to see if you have two flat rear tires?
Old 06-26-2010, 08:23 PM
edusmc1
Instructor

Wow that might be the problem. Thanks
Old 06-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Bakersfield
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is not replaced, it will throw a low tire pressure warning on your DIC every time you start the car. It may also reduce your engine power. But on the later models of the C5, you can "turn off" the tire pressure system with a programmer. I don't recommend that since replacement sensors on are fairly cheap, $45. I have heard some tire shops carry them as well as Costco, and at some of the supporting vendors here on the forum.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Here is an explanation of the system for your car:

Document ID# 657365
2001 Chevrolet/Geo Corvette
Tire Pressure Monitor Description and Operation

The Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) System warns the driver when a significant increase, or decrease of tire pressure occurs in any of the 4 tires and allows the driver to display the individual tire pressures and their locations on the Driver Information Center (DIC).

The system uses the powertrain control module (PCM), body control module (BCM), Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC), DIC, Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR), a radio frequency (RF) transmitting pressure sensor in each wheel/tire assembly, and the serial data circuit to perform the system functions.

When the vehicle is stationary the sensors internal roll switches are open, which puts the sensors into stationary mode. In this mode the sensors transmit once every 60 minutes. As vehicle speed increases, centrifugal force closes the sensors internal roll switches, which puts the sensors to go into drive mode. In this mode the sensors transmit once every 60 seconds. The RCDLR receives and translates the data contained in each sensors RF transmission into sensor presence, sensor mode, and tire pressure. The RCDLR sends the tire pressure and tire location data to the DIC via the serial data circuit where they are displayed as follows:
• FRONT L XX R XX PSI
• REAR L XX R XX PSI

When the TPM system detects a significant decrease of tire pressure, the LOW TIRE PRESS XX, or XX TIRE FLAT - MAXIMUM SPEED 55 MPH - REDUCED HANDLING messages are displayed on the DIC and the low tire pressure indicator is displayed on the IPC. When the system detects a significant increase of tire pressure the HIGH TIRE PRESS XX message is displayed on the DIC. Both the messages and indicator can be cleared by adjusting the tire pressures to the recommended kpa/psi. Refer to Tire Placard in General Information, or to Tire Inflation Pressure Specifications in Maintenance and lubrication. The sensors pressure accuracy from -10 to +70 degrees C is +/- 7 kPa (1 psi). The system also compensates for changes in barometric pressure using the PCMs map sensor via the serial data circuit.

The RCDLR has the ability to detect malfunctions within the TPM System. Any malfunction detected will cause the DIC to display the SERVICE TIRE MONITOR message. For more information on other functions of the RCDLR, refer to Keyless Entry System Description and Operation in Keyless Entry.
Document ID# 657365
End Quote

Note that although the display will indicate a maximum speed of 55 MPH this is a recommendation. Engine power will not be reduced and you should not feel any loss of power.

The only programmer that can tune out the TPMS system is the Tech 2 which is a very expensive ($5000.00+) item. Most dealers and reputable shops will not do this due to liability issues. There is a delete system which consists of a new receiver and two new FOBs such as this:

http://www.dragtimes.com/parts/1997-...460900273.html
Old 06-28-2010, 04:01 AM
edusmc1
Instructor

Default TPMS on C5

Originally Posted by Mark C5
Here is an explanation of the system for your car:

Document ID# 657365
Tire Pressure Monitor Description and Operation

The Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) System warns the driver when a significant increase, or decrease of tire pressure occurs in any of the 4 tires and allows the driver to display the individual tire pressures and their locations on the Driver Information Center (DIC).

The system uses the powertrain control module (PCM), body control module (BCM), Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC), DIC, Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR), a radio frequency (RF) transmitting pressure sensor in each wheel/tire assembly, and the serial data circuit to perform the system functions.

When the vehicle is stationary the sensors internal roll switches are open, which puts the sensors into stationary mode. In this mode the sensors transmit once every 60 minutes. As vehicle speed increases, centrifugal force closes the sensors internal roll switches, which puts the sensors to go into drive mode. In this mode the sensors transmit once every 60 seconds. The RCDLR receives and translates the data contained in each sensors RF transmission into sensor presence, sensor mode, and tire pressure. The RCDLR sends the tire pressure and tire location data to the DIC via the serial data circuit where they are displayed as follows:
• FRONT L XX R XX PSI
• REAR L XX R XX PSI

When the TPM system detects a significant decrease of tire pressure, the LOW TIRE PRESS XX, or XX TIRE FLAT - MAXIMUM SPEED 55 MPH - REDUCED HANDLING messages are displayed on the DIC and the low tire pressure indicator is displayed on the IPC. When the system detects a significant increase of tire pressure the HIGH TIRE PRESS XX message is displayed on the DIC. Both the messages and indicator can be cleared by adjusting the tire pressures to the recommended kpa/psi. Refer to Tire Placard in General Information, or to Tire Inflation Pressure Specifications in Maintenance and lubrication. The sensors pressure accuracy from -10 to +70 degrees C is +/- 7 kPa (1 psi). The system also compensates for changes in barometric pressure using the PCMs map sensor via the serial data circuit.

The RCDLR has the ability to detect malfunctions within the TPM System. Any malfunction detected will cause the DIC to display the SERVICE TIRE MONITOR message. For more information on other functions of the RCDLR, refer to Keyless Entry System Description and Operation in Keyless Entry.
Document ID# 657365
End Quote

Note that although the display will indicate a maximum speed of 55 MPH this is a recommendation. Engine power will not be reduced and you should not feel any loss of power.

The only programmer that can tune out the TPMS system is the Tech 2 which is a very expensive ($5000.00+) item. Most dealers and reputable shops will not do this due to liability issues. There is a delete system which consists of a new receiver and two new FOBs such as this:

http://www.dragtimes.com/parts/1997-...460900273.html

Thank you so much Mark, for this very detail responce, I thank you for your time, it truly answers my question and concerns.

ED
Semper Fi
Old 06-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Glad I could help

Get notified of new replies

To Air Pressure Sensors

Quick Reply: Air Pressure Sensors