C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stranded! Z06 won't start! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 11:04 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by masksqueeze
Is it possible this is related to the CLB issue? Although, I don't get the "Pull Key Wait 10 seconds" message or DIC has codes.... ?
You could figure this out in about 10 minutes with a meter and a schematic........no need for guessing !

Old 06-12-2010, 01:38 PM
masksqueeze
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car starts, only intermittently. It's extremely odd to get in it start without a hitch, come back, nothing. Wait 4 hours, come back, starts again.

And that schematic looks like a foreign language to me. I wouldn't know where to start.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:47 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

The car starts, only intermittently. It's extremely odd to get in it start without a hitch, come back, nothing. Wait 4 hours, come back, starts again.

And that schematic looks like a foreign language to me. I wouldn't know where to start.
Then you have three choices:

1) Work with a forum member to use the schematics and a meter.
2) Just change parts until you fix the issue (or have nothing left to replace).
3) Take the car to a trusted shop for repairs.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:57 PM
masksqueeze
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Then you have three choices:

1) Work with a forum member to use the schematics and a meter.
2) Just change parts until you fix the issue (or have nothing left to replace).
3) Take the car to a trusted shop for repairs.

What kind of meter do I need?

In the mean time, I notice reading posts that people who rebuilt the ignition switch encountered codes, seeing as I don't have any codes from the DIC would that be process of elimination ruling out the ignition in the dash?

I also considered replacing the starter solenoid if my parts stores carry it in town.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Replacing the starter solenoid would not be a bad idea. It could certainly cause intermittent starting issues.

The 'meter' that lucky is mentioning is a multimeter. A good quality unit is preferred (Fluke is widely considered the 'best' brand), but you should be able to get by with a mid-range unit from another manufacturer.

Not having codes does not in any fashion tell you that the ignition switch is good. The DIC displaying codes is really nice when it decides to tell you what the problem is, but it isn't the end of troubleshooting for ANY problem in my opinion.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:08 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

What kind of meter do I need?

In the mean time, I notice reading posts that people who rebuilt the ignition switch encountered codes, seeing as I don't have any codes from the DIC would that be process of elimination ruling out the ignition in the dash?

I also considered replacing the starter solenoid if my parts stores carry it in town.
A simple digital multimeter is all you need. They really are not expensive, usually $15 or less at an autoparts store. The only way you are going to troubleshoot this issue, is in the no start condition, and systematically checking everything. With the exception of the wire to the solenoid, everything can be evaluated in the passenger footwell.....which makes it easy. Which ever meter you buy, just post a pic of it, and many of us can guide you how to set it up and use it.

Reading a schematic is no different than reading a roadmap, once you know what the icons mean, then you just have to check for voltage or ground.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:21 PM
XxWarderxX
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Start with the basics.

Have you pulled off the battery terminals and inspected for corrosion? I had similar symptoms and while the gauges indicated there were no problems, the positive terminal had A LOT of corrosion on it.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:29 PM
JropTop
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess would be the starter solenoid,or the theft deterrent relay under the passenger side footwell.Do research on here to find out how to test the relay,I know Bill Curlee helped with this a while back,after checking the basics,mine ended up being the starter solenoid,a common problem on the C5s,just my 4 cents!Good luck!
Old 06-12-2010, 04:10 PM
masksqueeze
Melting Slicks

Guys, I really appreciate the awesome help.

I work 1-10pm tonight central time, I'm going to try and locate a solenoid and a multimeter while at lunch. I'm currently driving the car as it did start this morning. I'll keep this thread posted with pics and info as it comes.

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:49 PM
masksqueeze
Melting Slicks

Update:

Parts stores say I can only order the complete starter, not just the solenoid. I picked up a multimeter. Also, because I don't have a working fob, I lock the car from the door panel. Unlock with the key in the door.
Today I've just been leaving the car unlocked and it hasn't hiccuped yet. Could not having a fob, using the key only have some type of conflict with the security system in these cars?

Also, I check the battery terminals for corrosion, they look clean. However, what is this copper adapater the negative is connected to? The terminal is not connected directly to the battery. See pic.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4039/...d021f4a2_b.jpg
Old 06-12-2010, 08:30 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Update:

Parts stores say I can only order the complete starter, not just the solenoid. I picked up a multimeter. Also, because I don't have a working fob, I lock the car from the door panel. Unlock with the key in the door.
Today I've just been leaving the car unlocked and it hasn't hiccuped yet. Could not having a fob, using the key only have some type of conflict with the security system in these cars?

Also, I check the battery terminals for corrosion, they look clean. However, what is this copper adapater the negative is connected to? The terminal is not connected directly to the battery. See pic.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4039/...d021f4a2_b.jpg
I take it you have not owned the car very long...

That looks like a battery shutoff switch. Just to get that out of the equation, I would remove that, and bolt the negative cable to the battery directly.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:08 PM
masksqueeze
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lucky131969
I take it you have not owned the car very long...

That looks like a battery shutoff switch. Just to get that out of the equation, I would remove that, and bolt the negative cable to the battery directly.
I will remove that tonight. And technically you are right, I bough this Z06 from my brother. However, this is my 3rd C5 I've owned over the course of the last few years.

Any info on the correlation between the fob and just using the key? Fobs are being ordered Monday as well as a new set of keys.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:18 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

I will remove that tonight. And technically you are right, I bough this Z06 from my brother. However, this is my 3rd C5 I've owned over the course of the last few years.

Any info on the correlation between the fob and just using the key? Fobs are being ordered Monday as well as a new set of keys.
As long as you have no codes, and the security light goes out when starting, you should be fine.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:36 PM
67Ranger
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

It sounds to me like your starter is toast. Mine did the same thing about 4 months ago. Sometimes it would start, sometimes it wouldnt. Try and push start it, and if that works you just have to replace the starter... or if you can jack it up and it it with a hammer that will sometimes work for a little while, but its not in a spot thats very easy to get to.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Trios
Drifting

Originally Posted by 67Ranger
It sounds to me like your starter is toast. Mine did the same thing about 4 months ago. Sometimes it would start, sometimes it wouldnt. Try and push start it, and if that works you just have to replace the starter... or if you can jack it up and it it with a hammer that will sometimes work for a little while, but its not in a spot thats very easy to get to.
Actually, your issue sounds more like a starter solenoid issue to me, which is also what the OP's problem sounds like. I can't seem to find a good place to get just the solenoid though.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:23 AM
masksqueeze
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Trios
Actually, your issue sounds more like a starter solenoid issue to me, which is also what the OP's problem sounds like. I can't seem to find a good place to get just the solenoid though.
If you can find me a place to order a solenoid, I'd be thanful. But I might as well just go with a new starter to be on the safe side anyway.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:20 AM
masksqueeze
Melting Slicks

I found this webpage with an awesome troubleshooting list.

I'm going to run through it tomorrow.

http://www.c5help.com/c5_no_start.htm

Get notified of new replies

To Stranded! Z06 won't start! Help!

Old 06-13-2010, 07:47 AM
JropTop
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trios
.Try a alternator,starter rebuild shop,thats where I had my solenoid rebuilt and havent had issues since!
Old 06-13-2010, 12:23 PM
Trios
Drifting

Originally Posted by JropTop
.Try a alternator,starter rebuild shop,thats where I had my solenoid rebuilt and havent had issues since!
wholeheartedly. Support your local automotive electrical shop, bring the starter to them for troubleshooting. Once had a starter rebuilt locally (and I don't mean some Chinese rebuild crap) for $45, and it worked flawlessly till I sold the vehicle. If it really is just the solenoid, then it should be quite cheap and you can still feel good about not supporting China.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:36 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

there is a good chance you need a new starter (or rebuilding yours). when solenoid goes out, it will sieze intermittently.

Quick Reply: Stranded! Z06 won't start! Help!