C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission blew 3rd gear (automatic)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 07:43 AM
jerry hooker
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission blew 3rd gear (automatic)

I have a2001 C5 and I just totally lost 3rd gear now what will I do?
There are no codes, so I’m thinking it has to be mechanical.
Perhaps a solenoid or a gear. Anybody have experience with the 2001 automatic transmissions,
How much cost am I facing? Should I use a Chevy dealer or a Corvette shop?
Old 06-11-2010, 08:17 AM
1badf350
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jerry hooker
I have a2001 C5 and I just totally lost 3rd gear now what will I do?
There are no codes, so I’m thinking it has to be mechanical.
Perhaps a solenoid or a gear. Anybody have experience with the 2001 automatic transmissions,
How much cost am I facing? Should I use a Chevy dealer or a Corvette shop?
You're probably looking at a new tranny. 4L60E's are famous for losing 3rd and 4th gears. It happened to me on my 2000 Coupe.....and every other Chevrolet I've ever owned since I was 16.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:35 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

If you want it to be done right, you need to have it removed and rebuilt/exchanged at RPM transmission in Indiana. I have numerous Corvette friends making 900+ horsepower, racing their cars on a regular basis and no transmission troubles and all of them were done by RPM.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:15 PM
RSchleder
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RPM is the only place to go!
Old 06-11-2010, 06:05 PM
sydneyACE
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

When I first found out that Chevy put 4L60Es in the auto Corvette I was very surprised. I have a Chevy truck with the 4L60E and have rebuilt it 4 times! It does see some muddin duty but jeez! I don't mean to rant but I'm not impressed with the 4L60E (in stock form). Thankfully my Vette is a 6 speed.

Anyways, on to something that might actually help you. Sinse Chevy put them in so many trucks and cars, 4L60Es are VERY common. Any good transmission shop can rebuild yours for you. Just make sure they offer a warranty just in case.

If you want to be sure it will last under hard use, then I would have a reputable performance transmision builder do one for you. There are many here on the forum that build 4L60Es for high-power applications. Just expect to pay some extra $ for one that's capable of the big power.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:33 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by sydneyACE
When I first found out that Chevy put 4L60Es in the auto Corvette I was very surprised. I have a Chevy truck with the 4L60E and have rebuilt it 4 times! It does see some muddin duty but jeez! I don't mean to rant but I'm not impressed with the 4L60E (in stock form).
There's a lot of difference between a 5500lb truck and a 3200lb car.
Not saying these trannys are great in stock form though. Muddin' can be very hard on transmissions, differentials and axles, so don't be so surprised when it breaks.
Any good transmission shop can rebuild yours for you. Just make sure they offer a warranty just in case.
You must have had one of those shops with that great warranty build yours for you. 4 times!!!???
I would rather have a well built transmission than a warranty.
Who wants to take their transmission back 4 or more times while paying for a rental while someone continues to perform the same "stock" rebuild? There are shops out there that will diagnose and fix only the problem with your transmission rather than truly rebuild and blueprint it.
You have been through 5 transmissions (stock plus 4 rebuilds), yet you say any good transmission shop can build a 4l60? I say maybe any except the one you went to.

If you want to be sure it will last under hard use, then I would have a reputable performance transmission builder do one for you. There are many here on the forum that build 4L60Es for high-power applications. Just expect to pay some extra $ for one that's capable of the big power.
Regardless of what I am having done to one of my vehicles whether it's a daily driver or weekend warrior toy, I'm going to seek out the reputable shop. The word "warranty" has become an empty word, forcing us to read the fine print and there to teach some a valuable lesson. Try the 6.00 light bulbs with the lifetime warranty where you have to pay shipping and processing and end up paying 10.00 to warranty the 6.00 bulb. No thanks!

The labor that many truly reputable, big-named transmission shops charges is often in line with the local shops. It's the higher end parts that will often elevate your bill. RPM and many others will stand behind their work and I have seen it plenty. When I buy a transmission from them, I couldn't care less about a piece of paper with that stupid word "WARRANTY".

I'll leave you with a quote from Tommy Boy. Funny movie and every time I see the word warranty, I think of this because it's the darned truth.
Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.
Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?
[chuckles until he sees that Ted is not laughing too]
Customer: [impatiently] What's your point?
Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?
Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of ****. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:39 AM
sydneyACE
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
There's a lot of difference between a 5500lb truck and a 3200lb car.
No doubt. I'm sure the 4L60E is perfectly happy pushing a Vette in stock form. As someone else stated earlier they don't have a reputation for being the best tranny around though. I can say (my truck abuse aside) we have done quite a few 4L60Es in our shop.
Not saying these trannys are great in stock form though. Muddin' can be very hard on transmissions, differentials and axles, so don't be so surprised when it breaks.
Mudding is a "performance" application, and warrants a performance built transmission. I was using stock transmissions cause I got a really good deal on them.
You must have had one of those shops with that great warranty build yours for you. 4 times!!!???
I should have been more clear. I have never had a shop re-build any of my personal transmissions. I am a mechanic so swapping transmissions doesn't cost me anything more than a couple hours of time.
I would rather have a well built transmission than a warranty.
Who wants to take their transmission back 4 or more times while paying for a rental while someone continues to perform the same "stock" rebuild? There are shops out there that will diagnose and fix only the problem with your transmission rather than truly rebuild and blueprint it.
You have been through 5 transmissions (stock plus 4 rebuilds), yet you say any good transmission shop can build a 4l60? I say maybe any except the one you went to.
I apologize, I misstyped in my first post. I should have said "replaced" not "rebuilt". The transmissions I put in my truck were stock salvaged trannys. I'm just saying the 4L60E (in stock form) is far from being "bulletproof" (which is probably why it's easy to find rebuilt ones).
When a customer comes in with a blown tranny, we get them a rebuilt one from a reputable shop in town. Most the time with 4L60E's he already has a couple rebuilt and ready to go, so we can just swap with him.
The shop we go through offers a warranty and pays labor in the event something goes wrong. Regardless we haven't had a warranty claim on any of thier trannys yet.

Regardless of what I am having done to one of my vehicles whether it's a daily driver or weekend warrior toy, I'm going to seek out the reputable shop. The word "warranty" has become an empty word, forcing us to read the fine print and there to teach some a valuable lesson. Try the 6.00 light bulbs with the lifetime warranty where you have to pay shipping and processing and end up paying 10.00 to warranty the 6.00 bulb. No thanks!
Light bulbs aside, I would't say a warranty is worthless when it comes to transmissions. If you do happen to get a "lemon", it's good to know your shop will fix your problem for free.

The labor that many truly reputable, big-named transmission shops charges is often in line with the local shops. It's the higher end parts that will often elevate your bill. RPM and many others will stand behind their work and I have seen it plenty. When I buy a transmission from them, I couldn't care less about a piece of paper with that stupid word "WARRANTY".

I have heard nothing but good about RPM's builds. I'd say you can't go wrong with them. If they are too far from you or whatever, I'm sure you can find a local shop to build you a good transmission too. Best of luck!

Props on the Tommy Boy quote, I love that flick!

Last edited by sydneyACE; 06-12-2010 at 02:43 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:48 AM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I lost 3rd and 4th on my 4L60E, so I got a new 4L65E Stage VI from RPM. After 8000 miles, no problem so far.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:47 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

You blew the weakest point on our tranny's - When mine went it did the same thing!

Good thing is that you can get a new fully built one with some real good hard parts from RPM Transmissions (Supporting Vendor on the Forum)

Level V would be perfect for your application!

http://www.rpmtransmissions.com/c5pricing.html

Thanks,Matt
Old 06-12-2010, 10:00 AM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RSchleder
Old 09-24-2010, 12:40 AM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

If you want it to be done right, you need to have it removed and rebuilt/exchanged at RPM transmission in Indiana. I have numerous Corvette friends making 900+ horsepower, racing their cars on a regular basis and no transmission troubles and all of them were done by RPM.
Never heard of an RPM built 4L60 going out? It's a good tranny, but they eventually wear out. If it didn't, why would they offer a 4L80 conversion, etc.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:54 AM
memmer
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

In my 71 tears I have never blown a tranny not even in the modified stock cars I helped build.I have just recently bought a 2001 corvette vert. with an AT.My question is when you lose a gear in one of these is it right now or do you get some indication first ? Thanks for any info on a subject I wish I didn't need to know.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:14 AM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

When mine went, it slipped a couple times when accelerating at highway speeds. Then it quietly went away, like being in neutral and never came back. Luckily it keeps 1st & 2nd to get by. Congrats on the new vette.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:00 AM
Old Horsepower
Instructor

Same here. I have never had any trouble with my automatics. My 02 WS6 Trans Am with a 4L60E was driven hard with heads and cam for 8 years and always worked perfect. But I service my transmissions a lot. Always keep them cool and clean fluid. Then who knows. Maybe Ive just been lucky.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:35 AM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

Old 09-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Some general terms used here: driven hard, and raced on regular basis. How may 9 second passes does a 900+hp vette w/4L60 have in it? It's kinda like how many licks to get the center of a tootsie roll pop. I know it's somewhat subjective, as some people have bigger mouth and like to chew. Results may vary, but eventually it's gonna happen.

I can think of 2 forum members, RPM customers, ate them up frequently at that level. They eventually got a stronger trans. I'm not being negative, RPM offers great products and service, just keeping it real. Are there any 8 second rides running a 4L60? How about 9 second rides that race every weekend? If there are, I'd like to chat with them or PM. or a penny for your thoughts.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:50 AM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

That is why I bought the RPM Level 6 4L65E for my car... no problems in a year so far...

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission blew 3rd gear (automatic)

Old 09-24-2010, 10:38 AM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,257 Likes on 819 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by RSchleder
Well, it's not the only way to go. RPM makes a good tranny but
so does Finish Line Transmission in Ill. I went with a level 5,
from FLT and they have a sale on this month. Don't forget the
torque converter you should replace that as well.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Nobody finds a 4L60 lacking and looked at the 4L80 conversion or other options? If you're hardcore, at some point it makes more sense.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:55 PM
Mikvi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I had a new A4 installed by the Chevy dealer last month. $3700.00 with 3 year 30,000 warranty. I wanted to put a RPM in, but I was stuck on the MS coast and onone would work on the car except the dealer.

Quick Reply: Transmission blew 3rd gear (automatic)