C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lookin to buy a c5, advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 12:49 PM
xRavenx
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lookin to buy a c5, advice?

so first post on here

i am in the market for a new car and i'm looking at a c5 manual targa and have a crown vic for the winter.

I don't plan on having a HUGE project the second i get it but i do have a goal of wanting 420 rwhp (though i may be happy with the stock hp or find a butter zone for me during modification but i'll have to wait and see)

I have read stickys and have checked around and came up with...

Mods to do in time segments (and get it tuned when needed)

-1st
C5r headlights, rims and tires, breaks if needed, interior work (nothing major just fix up scuffs), make sure paint is good

-2nd
CAI or ramjet
Lid
Longtubes/xpipe/possible different muffler

-3rd
LSX 90mm Manifold
90mm throttle body

-4th
cam and head

When should i look at a different rear end and what rear axle would suit my application best? And a stronger clutch?

does it look like a good otherwise? (or did i miss vital points)

might add i'm not looking to have the fastest vette i can but to have one that is quick (beat most stock vettes -not zr1 or c6 z06- and ls engine cars -2010 camaro ss- that would be a plus) and i will enjoy driving. but still i may like it stock

Plan is to find a c5 i like but it may take a while or i could find it tmrw, i hope

thanks for your time

Mike
Old 06-06-2010, 01:01 PM
torkman15
Racer

Id say go with the newest and least amount of miles you can afford and dont be in a big hurry.

Good luck to ya, Tom
Old 06-06-2010, 01:21 PM
xRavenx
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by torkman15
Id say go with the newest and least amount of miles you can afford and dont be in a big hurry.

Good luck to ya, Tom
this is great advice

i am getting what i can afford with the lowest miles i can get... and i just have plans over time if i decided im not happy with the performance... might just get 3.89 and bolt ons and that could be plenty. or no mods at all we shall see
Old 06-06-2010, 01:29 PM
torkman15
Racer

Originally Posted by xRavenx
this is great advice

i am getting what i can afford with the lowest miles i can get... and i just have plans over time if i decided im not happy with the performance... might just get 3.89 and bolt ons and that could be plenty. or no mods at all we shall see
My 2000 Corvette ran real good stock but I have a heads and cam 2000 Camaro that runs 10.30s so I needed a new angle to make her run but remain the gentlemens cruiser that it is. I found a low mile LS3 out of a new 2010 Camaro for cheap, bought some 1 7/8 Kooks headers and some more supporting mods and it ran 11.80 at 125 spinning worn out run flats halfway down the track...

Get notified of new replies

To lookin to buy a c5, advice?

Quick Reply: lookin to buy a c5, advice?