C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0300 & White Smoke after Spark Plug/Wire and Valve Spring Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2023, 04:52 PM
Teeter477
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P0300 & White Smoke after Spark Plug/Wire and Valve Spring Swap

Just swapped my plugs/wires and valve springs (at the same time - in hindsight I should’ve done one at a time). After startup, I’m getting a LOT of white smoke (mostly out of left side, but both really), as well as a P0300 (random/multiple misfire). Video: https://share.icloud.com/photos/079w...0bu3RczDK5-gXQ

I obviously did a check for previous posts and it seems like this could be a LOT of things. I’m thinking the most likely culprit is that I messed something up with the plugs/wires, but I can’t figure out what I did wrong. Could it be incompletely plugged wires? Most/all of them didn’t feel all that well connected, but it seems impossible to push the wires any further on.
Old 04-22-2023, 06:20 AM
Teeter477
Intermediate

Bump - I could really use your help guys!
Old 04-22-2023, 08:21 AM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,122 Likes on 1,687 Posts

White smoke could either be coolant or unburned raw fuel…what does your nose say ??…were the heads removed to do the valve spring change ??
The following users liked this post:
Teeter477 (04-22-2023)
Old 04-22-2023, 08:33 AM
Teeter477
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C5 Diag
White smoke could either be coolant or unburned raw fuel…what does your nose say ??…were the heads removed to do the valve spring change ??
My nose and intuition says fuel - there were no coolant issues before this repair/upgrade.

I didn't touch the heads - just the valve covers.

What do you think? Spark issue?
Old 04-22-2023, 08:43 AM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Ok, if the heads weren’t removed we can rule out a head gasket issue…do you know how to check and see if you have spark ??…you may also have cracked a plug during your installation.

Last edited by C5 Diag; 04-22-2023 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-22-2023, 10:19 AM
Teeter477
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C5 Diag
Ok, if the heads weren’t removed we can rule out a head gasket issue…do you know how to check and see if you have spark ??…you may also have cracked a plug during your installation.
I don’t know how to check for a spark!

also can’t rule out a cracked plug. This is my first time doing plugs, but I didn’t think I went too hard. The problem clearly exists on multiple cylinders. Is it typically hard to tell if the wires are pushed all the way in (to both the plugs and the coils)? I’m thinking that’s a potential culprit, but I don’t know how to tell if they’re fully connected.
Old 04-22-2023, 10:32 AM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Well if I were you I’d remove all the plugs and see if you may have cracked the porcelain insulator…if you tighten them off center and put too much sideways torque you’ll crack the plug…you can put a tiny tab of dielectric grease inside the plug boots on either end to help in the installation…you should hear a good click when you push them on…if your dipstick smells like fuel I’d change your oil !!…if you have a test light connect it to a good ground and as you remove the plug boot off the coil pack bring the tip of the test light to the end of the coil pack to give the spark somewhere to jump to ground

Last edited by C5 Diag; 04-22-2023 at 10:42 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To P0300 & White Smoke after Spark Plug/Wire and Valve Spring Swap

Quick Reply: P0300 & White Smoke after Spark Plug/Wire and Valve Spring Swap