C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cams that don't need Re-tunes

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:23 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Okay, i'll get the tune asap after the swap.

SDPC is suggesting this guy for a cam:
221/226 .565/.560 114

http://sdparts.com/details/scoggin-d...-center/sd0067

Anyone have experience with this or something similar
Old 05-24-2010, 09:27 PM
torkman15
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Good price for the WRONG cam for 243's.

You could probably stay in the mid teens without a tune but the benefits would not be that great. Through an LS6 cam in there with the 1.8 YT's and 243's. Get some decent springs while your at it.

You could always run a 3/4 race cam....
OOps I was only looking at cam specs and price, I forgot all about the cam sensor being in the front on LS2,3,7 and 9.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:06 PM
MG RED 99
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
I"m looking into custom grind mild cams with SDPC, Texas speed and thunder racing. if i'm going to pay to have a cam installed, i want to do it right the first time instead wishing i'd made another choice.
If you really want to do it right the first time budget some money for a tune. If after you go to all the trouble of swapping in a new cam no matter how mild, and the car doesn't run properly, you will be getting a tune anyways, but with no money left over for one.

Budget for the tune just in case, and then see if you need it.

Don't skimp to much on the size or you will regret it.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:51 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
Okay, i'll get the tune asap after the swap.

SDPC is suggesting this guy for a cam:
221/226 .565/.560 114

http://sdparts.com/details/scoggin-d...-center/sd0067

Anyone have experience with this or something similar
I didn't see what mods you've already done, so it's hard to recommend a cam. I assume you have LTs and full exhaust and CAI, so a bigger cam is the next logical step. Assuming the above stuff is true, than the cam you've been recommended is a nice little cam. For better gains, with no loss in drivability, I'd suggest the "Tony Mamo" cam....It's a 224/228@114, with about .575 lift. Very easy to tune, and lots of power potential. The next step up is the G5X1, which is 228/232, and a great performance cam, but it may not pass CA emissions without an expert tune, if that's an issue.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:20 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Hi George...this is Jeff, part of JW and Tim Star's clan....I have been investigating this whole process for amost 7 months now and will be doing my cam swap next spring. I am buying all the parts this year and then having the job done by a good friend off the forum here that lives close by.

All I can say is really REALLY think about what you want now and where you want to be even years from now, before you do this. If you plan on or are thinking about supercharging later on, get yourself a blower cam. This is a perfect "stealth" cam that should get you 60-80 rwhp and get your car prepped for when you want to go charged. Also by power band, same thing, really what do you want to do with the car and where do you want the power to come on? Once you get all your factors thought out, then start pricing out the parts you will need (you are going to need more then just a cam and a tune) and then buy them or tell your installer what parts you want. Make sure you parts are all compatible with each other and buy the best you can afford.

Here is my cam list:
I have decided not to go with new larger injectors as I have been told the duty cycle will still be within limits for the cam I have chosen.
I also have decided on not needing a new or ported oil pump.

1) AFR 6016 Cam or Chuck Cow Cam
2) LS2 Timing Chain (bought)
3) PAC Single Beehive Valve Springs ($249)
4) Texas Speed 7.400 Hardened Pushrods ($100)
5) Under Drive Pulley ($150)(bought)
6) Front Gasket Kit & Bolt ($40)(bought)
7) GM Oil Pump Pickup O-Ring ($?)
8) GM UD Pulley Bolt ($?) still need?

I have already been talking with my tuner Chuck Cow. He is going to be working with me and we are going to do a computer mail order to get me close, then once he is in my area he is going to tweak it. Chuck originally did my car and Iam so happy with it, I wouldn't dream or trust anybody else with it.

Last edited by XtremeVette; 05-25-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:03 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Thanks soooo MUCH!

Originally Posted by XtremeVette
Hi George...this is Jeff, part of JW and Tim Star's clan....I have been investigating this whole process for amost 7 months now and will be doing my cam swap next spring. I am buying all the parts this year and then having the job done by a good friend off the forum here that lives close by.

All I can say is really REALLY think about what you want now and where you want to be even years from now, before you do this. If you plan on or are thinking about supercharging later on, get yourself a blower cam. This is a perfect "stealth" cam that should get you 60-80 rwhp and get your car prepped for when you want to go charged. Also by power band, same thing, really what do you want to do with the car and where do you want the power to come on? Once you get all your factors thought out, then start pricing out the parts you will need (you are going to need more then just a cam and a tune) and then buy them or tell your installer what parts you want. Make sure you parts are all compatible with each other and buy the best you can afford.

Here is my cam list:
I have decided not to go with new larger injectors as I have been told the duty cycle will still be within limits for the cam I have chosen.
I also have decided on not needing a new or ported oil pump.

1) AFR 6016 Cam or Chuck Cow Cam
2) LS2 Timing Chain (bought)
3) PAC Single Beehive Valve Springs ($249)
4) Texas Speed 7.400 Hardened Pushrods ($100)
5) Under Drive Pulley ($150)(bought)
6) Front Gasket Kit & Bolt ($40)(bought)
7) GM Oil Pump Pickup O-Ring ($?)
8) GM UD Pulley Bolt ($?) still need?

I have already been talking with my tuner Chuck Cow. He is going to be working with me and we are going to do a computer mail order to get me close, then once he is in my area he is going to tweak it. Chuck originally did my car and Iam so happy with it, I wouldn't dream or trust anybody else with it.

Thanks..... The latest "CoW CAM" for the C5 will be finished and dynoed this week with stock heads and intake manifold.

After that, it gets our heads and fast intake with 90mm TB....

Keep watch!
Chuck CoW
Old 05-26-2010, 01:08 AM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by zeevette
I didn't see what mods you've already done, so it's hard to recommend a cam. I assume you have LTs and full exhaust and CAI, so a bigger cam is the next logical step. Assuming the above stuff is true, than the cam you've been recommended is a nice little cam. For better gains, with no loss in drivability, I'd suggest the "Tony Mamo" cam....It's a 224/228@114, with about .575 lift. Very easy to tune, and lots of power potential. The next step up is the G5X1, which is 228/232, and a great performance cam, but it may not pass CA emissions without an expert tune, if that's an issue.
You're correct on the existing mods. I also have 1.8 rockers that I'd like to carry over to the new heads. I'm trying to avoid the rough idle associated with bigger cams, i really like smooth power. It can be noisy but as long as the idle is smooth in park and drive i'm happy.

This car will NOT be supercharged, probably never tracked (except for the rare random fun event) and will be used almost exclusively for daily driving.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:19 AM
banner1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Why bother buying heads and cams and the other stuff you mentioned with no tune? I guess it would run horrible or grenade possibly. Like buying a great gun and no bullets!
Or buying a great gun and then throwing it at them.

The money spent on any type of tune is cheaper than a destroyed engine. You could always buy HPTuners and put the money you were going to spend on a dyno tune into something concrete that you will have forever.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:04 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Thanks..... The latest "CoW CAM" for the C5 will be finished and dynoed this week with stock heads and intake manifold.

After that, it gets our heads and fast intake with 90mm TB....

Keep watch!
Chuck CoW
cool deal man! Sent ya a PM

Quick Reply: Cams that don't need Re-tunes