C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Centerforce DF Q's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 11:16 AM
d1ngokellz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Centerforce DF Q's?

I just purchased the Centerforce DF 12" and was wondering if this clutch needed to be shimmed and also would it be best to remove the weights before installing. My car puts down less than 400whp and I only purchased factory hydraulics (figured if the factory master doesn't work i'll pick up a TICK unit). I have searched the forums and only one guy had a problem with the weights not allowing the clutch to fully disengage at high RPMs. Also my current clutch is stock and i just started getting the sticky pedal problem.

thanks in advance,
Robert
Old 05-19-2010, 12:36 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

no shims. the weights make an annoying rattle noise is why people remove them. if you just started getting the sticky pedal you still have some time before you have to do the job.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:46 PM
d1ngokellz
Advanced

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
no shims. the weights make an annoying rattle noise is why people remove them. if you just started getting the sticky pedal you still have some time before you have to do the job.
I figured I'd just change the clutch now seeing the stocker starts slipping real bad after the first pass. I was going to modify the stock MC unit to be adjustable seeing many people have clutch disengagement issues with the DF but if that fails i guess i gotta fork out $300+ for the TICK
Old 05-26-2010, 12:13 AM
Choose1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed my CF/DF just about a year ago and have around 5k miles on it now.

Installed without shims, did not remove the weights on a stock MC, no slipping, no release problems, no rattles.

Several low 11 sec 1/4 runs and 4 dyno pulls

414rwhp / 385rwtq
Old 05-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Corvette Don
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Have 16k on mine 440 rwho, LOTS of high rpm driving on it and several track passes with no issues, it will make some noise for the first 1,000 or so miles but after that mine did not make any more noise, I still have my weights
Old 05-27-2010, 09:21 PM
Nate B
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the 12" also and I love it. It hasn't ever chattered or had any releasing problems with 450whp. I installed a stock slave cylinder and am still using the stock master with no issues even on high rpm shifts.

I do have that annoying rattle that y'all are talking about, I had no idea that it was the weights making that noise. I also went with a fidanza flywheel and I assumed the rattle was from a combination of my cam and the backlash in the drive train.

I would recommend installing a remote bleeder while you have it apart and bleed it every oil change to prevent you new slave from failing. I got mine from monster clutches for around $35...
Old 05-29-2010, 02:32 PM
d1ngokellz
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nate B
I have the 12" also and I love it. It hasn't ever chattered or had any releasing problems with 450whp. I installed a stock slave cylinder and am still using the stock master with no issues even on high rpm shifts.

I do have that annoying rattle that y'all are talking about, I had no idea that it was the weights making that noise. I also went with a fidanza flywheel and I assumed the rattle was from a combination of my cam and the backlash in the drive train.

I would recommend installing a remote bleeder while you have it apart and bleed it every oil change to prevent you new slave from failing. I got mine from monster clutches for around $35...
Thanks, I bought a remote bleeder for someone and they forgot to include the adapter end that screws into the slave so i got stuck leaving the stock bleeder in. I installed the clutch and used my stock MC and flywheel. So far, the clutch operation feels good and there isn't really any noise but i do have an issue with the car not going into 2nd or 3rd gear while stationary. When driving i can shift normally and since i have a skip shift eliminator i'm able to run through all the gears without any problems. When i'm just sitting still though, the car acts as if the CAGS is engaged and it "directs" me straight to 4th when trying to shift into 2nd. Maybe i forgot to connect something back, any suggestions?

Get notified of new replies

To Centerforce DF Q's?

Quick Reply: Centerforce DF Q's?