C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TRANS PROBLEM, HELP NEEDED? Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 01:21 AM
Unforgivable74
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRANS PROBLEM, HELP NEEDED? Thanks

Hello, I bought a 1998 Corvette Automatic with 50k miles, 2 days of driving my trans is acting up? When I take off slowly it wont switch into second gear until around 4200 RPM, for me thats very high considering I am driving slow! Also, if I floor the car and give it gas all the way the RPMS jump up but it will not switch a gear it will just redline the car and wont go past 60 MPH, but if I take off slow it will go past a 100 MPH normaly but u can tell its strugling to get into gears? And I also noticed some times u have to hit the brake while driving for it to fall into the next gear it seems? Basicly the car is drivable, but it has hard time switching gears and it CANT BE FLOORED or it will redline the engine with out geting into the next gear! Also the trans fluid reads between 170-220 degrees on the dash when I look it up? When I bought the car every thing was normal, however the next day I drove it all day doing 160 MPH a few times, and kept flooring it a few times! I think thats what messed it up, but its a Vette its ment to be floored ones in a while! When I bought the car I checked all the fluids besides the trans fluid, since the trans fluid dipstick is under the car I was going to get the trans fluid flushed or checked on my next day off since I didnt know if it had any trans oil in there or if it needed to be flushed since the car was sitting in the garage for 4 years stored, but before I had the chance the trans started acting up 2 days after I bought it, I know it's beacause I kept flooring it for 2 days, but could this problem have accoured if there was not enough TRANS oil in there? What do I do, or what have I done? Any ideas will be appriciated, thank you!
Old 05-17-2010, 02:15 AM
andy.h
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Unforgivable74
Hello, I bought a 1998 Corvette Automatic with 50k miles, 2 days of driving my trans is acting up? When I take off slowly it wont switch into second gear until around 4200 RPM, for me thats very high considering I am driving slow! Also, if I floor the car and give it gas all the way the RPMS jump up but it will not switch a gear it will just redline the car and wont go past 60 MPH, but if I take off slow it will go past a 100 MPH normaly but u can tell its strugling to get into gears? And I also noticed some times u have to hit the brake while driving for it to fall into the next gear it seems? Basicly the car is drivable, but it has hard time switching gears and it CANT BE FLOORED or it will redline the engine with out geting into the next gear! Also the trans fluid reads between 170-220 degrees on the dash when I look it up? When I bought the car every thing was normal, however the next day I drove it all day doing 160 MPH a few times, and kept flooring it a few times! I think thats what messed it up, but its a Vette its ment to be floored ones in a while! When I bought the car I checked all the fluids besides the trans fluid, since the trans fluid dipstick is under the car I was going to get the trans fluid flushed or checked on my next day off since I didnt know if it had any trans oil in there or if it needed to be flushed since the car was sitting in the garage for 4 years stored, but before I had the chance the trans started acting up 2 days after I bought it, I know it's beacause I kept flooring it for 2 days, but could this problem have accoured if there was not enough TRANS oil in there? What do I do, or what have I done? Any ideas will be appriciated, thank you!
I think your transmission is going...
Old 05-17-2010, 04:55 AM
LuCkYSe7eN11
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Unforgivable74
I have a 04 with 55k miles and I get on it alot... Never had anything like that. I would change ur fluid and filter first and ask who does it if there was any metal in the fluid or pan. If there was then your tran is going bad. Make sure you buy the right filter!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:46 AM
BlueThunder2000
Vettaholic
Support Corvetteforum!

Allright , first of all, there is NO trans dipstick on C5 corvettes.
If the car was in storage for 4 years, fluid needs to be changed.
Do that first.
One last question, has the car been tuned ? Some pple have the shift points adjusted to shift at higher RPM.

Patrick
Old 05-17-2010, 08:15 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by BlueThunder2000
If the car was in storage for 4 years, fluid needs to be changed.
Why do you say that? If the transmission fluid was clean before the car was stored, nothing has changed during it's storage period.

In my judgment, the OP has a mechanical issue to deal with.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:05 AM
BlueThunder2000
Vettaholic
Support Corvetteforum!

I said that because from my understanding of the OP:
1) trans fluid was not checked
2) no idea how it was driven prior to purchase
3) OP did not state when the fluid was changed last
Hence I assumed the worst....

But I guess you're right, a fluid check could show he's OK in that department, and the problem lies elsewhere (clutch pack ?)

Patrick
Old 05-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Unforgivable74
3rd Gear

The car has never been tuned, I just dont know weather to first change the trans oil n filter and see if that fixed the problem, but I dont think it will... And I dont know where to take the car, the Dealer or? Now days no one has the time or money for people to be guessing at shops, I need some one who knows what their doing and talking about in the shop you know. I heard all places want 400 plus just to take the trans down and see whats wrong?
Old 05-17-2010, 02:55 PM
JAY KOCH
Instructor

It would help if you filled out your CF profile. People would then know where you lived and locals could jump in with references in your area.
This is a great community with a wealth of knowledgeable people who are willing to help, but, they need to know your location.

Good luck.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:12 AM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 124 Posts

I had the same problem with mine, the redlining when floored. Sorry to say, my tranny was toast. Get it checked out..........and hope for the best (fluid?)

Get notified of new replies

To TRANS PROBLEM, HELP NEEDED? Thanks

Quick Reply: TRANS PROBLEM, HELP NEEDED? Thanks