C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tie rod end not coming undone ... pic

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 05:53 PM
NSTG8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default tie rod end not coming undone ... pic

so I am in the middle (or beginning of i suppose) of replacing my rear bearing hub .. read that I shouldn't use the tie rod end separator tool so I undid the nut a bit, both the adjustable on the tie rod end and the top connected to the spindle (knuckle?) and it won't budge.

guess i just wondered if I'm doing this correctly ...
Old 05-12-2010, 06:52 PM
FRCTony
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uh...retighten the adjuster locknut now, unless you want to get an alignment.

Just tap on the knuckle with a hammer.

Last edited by FRCTony; 05-12-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:19 AM
d1ngokellz
Advanced

Originally Posted by FRCTony
Uh...retighten the adjuster locknut now, unless you want to get an alignment.

Just tap on the knuckle with a hammer.
I hammered mine out then when i went to reinstall the nut i found out the threads were compressed at the top so the nut would not go back in. I ended up cutting a couple of threads off the top in order for the nut to be reintalled but realized by cutting the threads that the allen wrench slot could not be locked thus making it impossible to tighten the threads.

Morale of the story DO NOT USE A HAMMER!
Old 05-30-2010, 01:10 PM
BlueDragon
Drifting

YUP justr some good firm taps around the outside of the mounting knuckle and it should just fall right out. DO NOT pound on the nut or the threaded shaft.

Seen a lot of guys destroy the bolt and nut just to have someone tap on the casting and have it fall out.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:36 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Use the proper Kent Moore Tool and you can separate easily and not destroy the rubber boot. If you try to use one of the "Pickle Fork" separator tools available, you will damage the robber boot and have to replace. Most of the time a good sharp rap in the spindle with a BFH will get it to separate. If that fails, you can use a propane or aceteline torch to heat the spindle (not red hot) to break the corrosion bond then use the BFH. Be sure to protect the rubber so you don't burn it.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:01 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Use the proper Kent Moore Tool and you can separate easily and not destroy the rubber boot. If you try to use one of the "Pickle Fork" separator tools available, you will damage the robber boot and have to replace. Most of the time a good sharp rap in the spindle with a BFH will get it to separate. If that fails, you can use a propane or aceteline torch to heat the spindle (not red hot) to break the corrosion bond then use the BFH. Be sure to protect the rubber so you don't burn it.
I appreciate your suggestion...but most won't. Using the correct tools is not a poplar suggestion on this forum......for some reason.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:17 PM
aschiftner
Racer

you can also use a 2 by 4 and a hammer so you don't damage the threads. R/Al
Old 05-30-2010, 05:17 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Spin the nut down so it's about even with the end of the stud, put a piece of hardwood (or brass or copper etc) over it and give it a whack with a hammer.

Or

Hold a big hammer on the flat on one side of the arm and then give a hit on the other side with another smaller hammer.

The easiest way to put it back in is to just put it in place and use a jack under it with enough pressure to keep it from turning while you tighten the nut. Don't jack too high though or you could bend the arm. The same idea can be applied to the lower a-arm stud by using a strap over the upright to the jack base to hold it in place.

Peter

Last edited by lionelhutz; 05-30-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:51 PM
FRCTony
Drifting

Originally Posted by d1ngokellz
I hammered mine out then when i went to reinstall the nut i found out the threads were compressed at the top so the nut would not go back in. I ended up cutting a couple of threads off the top in order for the nut to be reintalled but realized by cutting the threads that the allen wrench slot could not be locked thus making it impossible to tighten the threads.

Morale of the story DO NOT USE A HAMMER!
Moral of story: Back away from the hammer if you don't know how to use it.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:42 AM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow some interesting suggestions. Some folks have it right. Just a good solid crack with a hammer on the side of the knuckle is all you need. You are trying to deform the taper just slightly so it will release. This will not damage anything.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:37 AM
Had20z
Advanced

There is a fine line between using a hammer as a tool than being a hammer mechanic. What I do on anything I have to "beat" on, I make sure i protect the threads ( if there is threads) and use the correct hammer for the job.... I.e. A rawhide hammer not a hammer to build a fence....

I'm not knocking anyone because **** happens, and that's where you learn to do thingS diffrent and find out what works the best for you...
Old 06-01-2010, 01:02 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Spin the nut down so it's about even with the end of the stud, put a piece of hardwood (or brass or copper etc) over it and give it a whack with a hammer.

Or

Hold a big hammer on the flat on one side of the arm and then give a hit on the other side with another smaller hammer.

The easiest way to put it back in is to just put it in place and use a jack under it with enough pressure to keep it from turning while you tighten the nut. Don't jack too high though or you could bend the arm. The same idea can be applied to the lower a-arm stud by using a strap over the upright to the jack base to hold it in place.

Peter
this guy knows what's up.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:23 PM
d1ngokellz
Advanced

Originally Posted by FRCTony
Moral of story: Back away from the hammer if you don't know how to use it.
Some people learn things the hard way, lol
Old 06-01-2010, 02:49 PM
chevylad
Pro

I used two c-clamps and a 4 inch strip of quarter inch stock. Then I tightend down the clamps evenly and out it came. No drama or skinned knuckles. The tough part was getting both camps and metal stock on. Push down on the top with the nut on and grab the lower part of the spindle mount.

Get notified of new replies

To tie rod end not coming undone ... pic

Quick Reply: tie rod end not coming undone ... pic