C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 06:55 PM
webelo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is this?

What is this hose? It was sucking air when I found it. I put my finger over the hole and it stopped sucking air. Is it supposed to be connected to that nipple?

Old 05-11-2010, 06:59 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by webelo
What is this hose? It was sucking air when I found it. I put my finger over the hole and it stopped sucking air. Is it supposed to be connected to that nipple?

I'm struggling to gain perspective on this pic, but it appears to be the fresh air intake for the AIR pump. I assume this pic was taken from underneath the car...driver side?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by lucky131969
I'm struggling to gain perspective on this pic, but it appears to be the fresh air intake for the AIR pump. I assume this pic was taken from underneath the car...driver side?
Topside, no push pins underneath.

My guess is the AIR pump inlet hose was left disconnected to whatever aftermarket filter system may have been installed.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:09 PM
webelo
Racer

Originally Posted by lucky131969
It was taken drivers side, with the hood open between the hood and the front end.

<--- front of the car.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:11 PM
webelo
Racer

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
Topside, no push pins underneath.

My guess is the AIR pump inlet hose was left disconnected to whatever aftermarket filter system may have been installed.
I bought the car last Sept. Never noticed this hose before. Is it supposed to be attached to something?

The car has a Breathless air intake.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:12 PM
cptinjak
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the thing at the top right is an aftermarket intake lid, then that hose is supposed to connect somewhere. It pushes in to the stock airbox in about that location.

Is that intake corvette-specific?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:15 PM
webelo
Racer

Originally Posted by cptinjak
If the thing at the top right is an aftermarket intake lid, then that hose is supposed to connect somewhere. It pushes in to the stock airbox in about that location.

Is that intake corvette-specific?
Ya. It is a Breathless Performance.
http://www.breathlessperformance.com/products/218.asp
Old 05-11-2010, 07:19 PM
webelo
Racer

Am I reading this right?
From the Breathless Performance website...
STEP12

12. Reconnect your MAT sensor, Mass Air Flow sensor and your 1/4 air tube. ( 1/4 air tube on 97-98 only )
** You have no problem in driving through rain but care must be taken to not drive at speed through deep water. Call us for further info. Take the small air pump filter provided with the kit and insert it into the 3/4 air pump hose down by the air box. Mark a spot on the shroud to mount the tab that holds the air pump hose. Drill a 1/4 hole and push the special tab provided through the hole from underneath, at this point pass the tie strap through the tab and around the 3/4 air pump hose.
(This filter does not get inserted into the air box, but gets strapped next to it to intake warm air ) (Once installed you can trim the filter neck to finish aliening the whole unit) Custom cut shrouds are also available
So, the 3/4 air pump hose (my mystery hose) doesn't get connected to anything... it just dangles?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Am I reading this right?

So, the 3/4 air pump hose (my mystery hose) doesn't get connected to anything... it just dangles?
Sounds like they provide a small filter to connect to the AIR inlet hose, but otherwise, yes.

All the AIR system does is pump some fresh air directly into the exhaust to help heat the cats up on a cold startup. It really doesn't need finely-filtered air, as none of it is passing through the engine.

So yeah, having it dangle really isn't an issue.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:28 PM
cptinjak
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Am I reading this right?

Apparently with that intake, yes. It is supposed to scavenge air from the intake box, but it is only for the AIR system.

Would seem better to cut it off up at the other end, rather than leave the whole thing sitting there... ???
Old 05-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's how mine looks-it was that way when I bought the car.

To tell you the truth,I thought it was stock,doesn't look too bad & keeps the hose up out of the "real" dirt...

Old 05-11-2010, 10:44 PM
webelo
Racer

Originally Posted by Carcass
Here's how mine looks-it was that way when I bought the car.

To tell you the truth,I thought it was stock,doesn't look too bad & keeps the hose up out of the "real" dirt...

Nice. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To What is this?

Quick Reply: What is this?