C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C ?, blows harder re-circulate or outside forced air?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 02:34 PM
50th@50
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A/C ?, blows harder re-circulate or outside forced air?

Howdy friends,

Questions please, this last week end I thought to try the air conditioning, which I hardly ever use in my 03 Vert with 44K miles.

I thought that when the fan is on whatever setting, lets say high, that if you push the button from outside air to inside cabin re-circulate; that it blows much much harder with inside cabin re-circulate. Mine did not do that, it stayed the same?

More over, a check engine light came on? I checked the codes last night and found nothing other than history codes, I think. I re-set all the codes and the check engine light went off. I did not have the time to drive it and try "things" again to see if anything changed or the light comes back on?

Any ideas please?

Thank you kindly,

Les
Old 05-11-2010, 05:14 PM
50th@50
Drifting

Can anyone please tell me at least, when you are stopped with the A/C on and you press the button from outside air to inside re-circulate, does it blow harder or stay the same?

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:39 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 50th@50
Can anyone please tell me at least, when you are stopped with the A/C on and you press the button from outside air to inside re-circulate, does it blow harder or stay the same?

Thanks.
The fan speed is the same whether inside/outside intake is selected. It will sound louder in recirculate.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:00 PM
50th@50
Drifting

Dang, if thats your motor, case closed! Shhesh I think I can presume you know your biz!

Peace bro.,
Old 05-11-2010, 06:06 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky131969
The fan speed is the same whether inside/outside intake is selected. It will sound louder in recirculate.
What I do on a hot day when I get into any of my vehicles is, first, drop the windows to let the hot air out and turn on the A/C in non-recirculate mode. After 30 seconds or so, I put the windows back up to get the inside to start cooling down. Once it's cool inside (after maybe a couple minutes, maybe a little more), I change over to recirculate. Hot outside air doesn't cool down as much as cooler inside air.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:59 PM
50th@50
Drifting

Thanks for your advice. The problem as I tried to describe in first post, is that there is no differnce between the selection of the 2 buttons. It does not sound louder or function different in either setting. Perhaps there is electrical or pump malfunction. Perhaps something is stuck since I don`t use the A/C much at all?

Old 05-12-2010, 07:29 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 847 Likes on 723 Posts

The damper could be stuck.

Generally, the fan has to pressuriz the cabin and force air out the cabin vent and any other leaks when using outside air so it can't move as much air. However, your ragtop might have more air leaks and you don't experience that effect as much as in a coupe.

Peter

Get notified of new replies

To A/C ?, blows harder re-circulate or outside forced air?

Quick Reply: A/C ?, blows harder re-circulate or outside forced air?