C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Catch Can installation on a LS1 engine...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil Catch Can installation on a LS1 engine...

Corvette forums are great, good ideas and great folks. Just got my catch can and have just one question:
1.) Does the PVC go from the catch can to the intake
or
2.) Does the PVC go to the intake of the Catch Can and the hose from
the Catch can to the intake.

I've seen different installation and have seen both ways. I plan on doing numer #1 above. My reason, the PVC is still doing it's job but it will be doing it with less oil from the motor. The catch can will capture all or 99% of all oil before the PVC thus only letting the gases pass into the intake with no oil. I appreciate your feedback... Thanks
Old 03-19-2010, 11:29 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Since the PCV valve needs lubrication, you should choose #2.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:21 AM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Dava68, thanks, I found a installation guide from "Elite Engineering" and it shows the correct way to install the PVC before the catch can. Thanks. I posted the link below for any others that may have questions on the installation of this great unit. You are correct the PVC requires clean oil to function, lubrication is needed or the ball ican become dry and may get stuck in the open or closed position, wouldn't want that now do we... Thanks for the great information, as always, this forum has the best support group from other corvette owners bar none... I hope to become as knowledgable one day and I may contribute to help others as well... Thanks

http://www.southerncarparts.com/corv...tch-p-385.html
Old 03-21-2010, 02:55 AM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Installed the "Oil Catch Can" and it really looks nice. As far as working, well I will need a couple of miles between today and next month to see if we catch any oil. Again I don't race and I keep it around 65 plus or minus 15 to 20, on the highways, I have to set an example (see my profile and you will understand). I'll post the photo's in my photo section. I'm still trying to get my profile picture posted... Anyway, Enjoy the ride...
Old 03-21-2010, 03:13 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Dave68
Since the PCV valve needs lubrication, you should choose #2.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:18 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jesse Asis
Installed the "Oil Catch Can" and it really looks nice. As far as working, well I will need a couple of miles between today and next month to see if we catch any oil. Again I don't race and I keep it around 65 plus or minus 15 to 20, on the highways, I have to set an example (see my profile and you will understand). I'll post the photo's in my photo section. I'm still trying to get my profile picture posted... Anyway, Enjoy the ride...
Glad to see you got things hooked up correctly.

Btw, it's "PCV".

PVC is a kind of plastic commonly used for water pipes in homes, etc.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

LoneStar, you got me on my finger check.. PCV is it.. Thanks
Old 03-21-2010, 11:17 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Hey, that never stopped some of the other guys around here who have the same occupation! Then again, you don't see me complaining.......

Enjoy!
Old 03-22-2010, 01:31 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

LoneStar, you got me on my finger check.. PCV is it.. Thanks
Hey, you wouldn't be the first. I do it too sometimes.

Btw, when it comes to catch-cans, Dave68 is our resident "go to" guy. He's done about as much engineering research and testing on this subject as one can do.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:56 AM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

here is some good info

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/11059703-post70.html
Old 03-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Thanks Printmanjackson, good infor, but now it raised one question. On the LS1 version single catch can (first design) you show the left valve cover near the rear blocked off. What is happening to the blow by gases in the left bank of the pistons? I have mine connected via a "TEE" to the hose with the PCV valve. Do you know why it is blocked off?? Just wondering, thanks.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:48 AM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Took a ride to Calistoga (Napa) area to get some wine at the Castle (Castello Di Amorosa). Checked the "Catch Can" when I got home, and wouldn't you know, oil was in the bottom about 1/8 (2 1/2" dia. can, 7" tall), so I drained it, not a lot but that would of been in the intake making all sorts of mess and cutting my hp down.. It works, I'm sold. PS, I didnt drive like Speed Racer neither, I just did a normal spirited ride under 75 on the freeway. So you don't have to be a racer to install a catch can.. I"m a happy camper now.. Enjoy the ride....
Old 04-02-2010, 11:29 AM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

Thanks Printmanjackson, good infor, but now it raised one question. On the LS1 version single catch can (first design) you show the left valve cover near the rear blocked off. What is happening to the blow by gases in the left bank of the pistons? I have mine connected via a "TEE" to the hose with the PCV valve. Do you know why it is blocked off?? Just wondering, thanks.
What happens at hi rpms is the tube that runs from the passenger side valve cover to the throttle body becomes a suction and pulls oil.

If you look at where the port is located on the TB its right before the blade. Under heavy air flow this causes reversion.

That is supposed to be the cold air return. So you can either plumb it to the bellows or run a small filter on the end of it and route it out of the way I would not tie it into the PCV system.

Here you can see a dual can system that deal with it.

The red vent tube is what we're talking about?
Attached Images   

Last edited by 99blancoss; 04-02-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I like the duel can setup, very clear as to the routing of the lines. I just may do that and add a second "Catch Can". The colored picture is good also, but I don't see were the PCV (blue) hose goes when it goes to the rear of the intake manifold, it just blends in with the (green) hose.. or is it in a T with the (green) hose. You guys are great.. PS; I heard "Catch Cans" are illegal in CA. (maybe just the ones with the vents) but I have a sealed one, not sure, I'm looking into that at my Department. thanks again.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:21 PM
deadcafe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Glad to see you got things hooked up correctly.

Btw, it's "PCV".

PVC is a kind of plastic commonly used for water pipes in homes, etc.
Positive Crankcase Ventilation....Hoo rah
Old 05-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Dave68
Race Director

PS; I heard "Catch Cans" are illegal in CA. (maybe just the ones with the vents) but I have a sealed one, not sure, I'm looking into that at my Department. thanks again.
This is correct. You cannot add any aftermarket part to an emissions system unless it is C.A.R.B.-approved.

I remove my glass catch can just before smog testing, as per the smog tech's suggestion.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Catch Can installation on a LS1 engine...

Quick Reply: Oil Catch Can installation on a LS1 engine...