C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Right Headlamp Motor is sucking my battery dry

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 11:42 PM
esassaman
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Right Headlamp Motor is sucking my battery dry

OK I've diagnosed my 2000 Coupe battery drain problems and when I pull fuse #3 (Right Headlamp Motor) the amp draw drops from 1.0 to 0.15. So something is obviously wrong with the headlamp. But what is it, is the motor bad, or the headlamp control module? Should I replace the control module, or the motor? Where do I go from here? I think I need to jack the car up to remove the front fascia to do a headlamp control module replacement, so I think I better opt for my local dealer to do it right, now that I've at least got the problem narrowed down!
Old 05-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Although I haven't had this happen, my guess would be the motor itself. If you go to your local dealership, the tech should be able to isolate the drain fairly quickly.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:40 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 437 Likes on 250 Posts

Could try pulling the connector off of the right door actuator.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:49 PM
gkohl
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My guess would be the headlight module. It's job is to switch power to the motor when needed. It may not be switching off completely. The module is located behind the right headlight assy. I can't remember if I could reach it without taking the headlight assy. apart but I know I can get to it when I removed the headlight door and motor. Good luck.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The Head light control module is a CURRENT SENSING module and when the head light motor drives the headlight Assy to the stops (up or down), it should switch OFF the headlight motor.

Make sure that the headlight motor isnt driving (slipping)

If the headlight motor isnt running all the time, the module is most likely at fault and is not shutting off the motors. The correct BCM Sleep current draw is 0.002 Amps. Looks like you still have something pulling excessive current.

BC

Get notified of new replies

To My Right Headlamp Motor is sucking my battery dry

Quick Reply: My Right Headlamp Motor is sucking my battery dry