C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I knew I shouldn't try the nitrous when i knew nothing about it

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 07:01 PM
littlem
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I knew I shouldn't try the nitrous when i knew nothing about it

I'll try to keep a long story short, but would appreciate any ideas you guys have. I bought a 97 at the end of last summer which had nitrous installed on it, I didn't get to learn much about it as the owner is locked up for quite a while (dealing cocaine) and I bought it from his uncle. Anyway...I couldn't help myself, charged up the bottle, and gave it a go yesterday. Best I can explain about the kit is it is a wet system as it's hooked into the driver side fuel rail, it appears to have two solenoids for the gas, and two more for the nitrous, it also has a wot switch on the gas pedal.
Alright, so I turned on the switches, jumped on the gas...and, well...it took off like a raped ape. I did this a few times through out the day just for a quick blast here and there. About the last time I did it, i had the pedal to the floor and before i knew it, the car redlined (around 6k) without shifting to the next gear (automatic). It stayed at redline cutting in and out until i let off the gas (as quick as i could, but it seemed like days). That was naturally the end of the nitrous use as I figured i did enough damage for one day.
Now (w/o nitrous) the car's shifting is still all screwed up. Even as i accelerate slowly, the rpms want to keep going up and up without shifting until i let off the gas for a second. If I stay on the gas (not even to the floor), the rpms will climb all the way up to 6k again and the car will start cutting out until i left off the gas and it shifts. Oddly enough, if I'm crusing around 45 or so and jump on it, it will downshift and lock up good without slipping at all. It sounds stupid, but the best i can describe it is that the car forgets when it needs to shift...
Any chance i damaged anything other than the transmission? or do I need to get it into the shop and hear the bad news? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And yes, I know what you're thinkin...but i just couldn't help it!
Old 05-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

With only the description you've given here, it sounds like you've damaged the trans and it is slipping. The missing at the top end is probably the rev limiter cutting timing and/or fuel. That in itself while spraying would make me nervious, since you NEVER want to cut fuel when spraying.
The PCM uses rpm AND mph to determine shifts, so if the mph isn't there, it won't call for a shift, and the slipping trans lets it rev until it hits the limiter.
I personally would never spray a system someone else installed until I checked fuel pressure, jets, and then the afr to verify.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:56 PM
tsts
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Blow Torch
With only the description you've given here, it sounds like you've damaged the trans and it is slipping. The missing at the top end is probably the rev limiter cutting timing and/or fuel. That in itself while spraying would make me nervious, since you NEVER want to cut fuel when spraying.
The PCM uses rpm AND mph to determine shifts, so if the mph isn't there, it won't call for a shift, and the slipping trans lets it rev until it hits the limiter.
I personally would never spray a system someone else installed until I checked fuel pressure, jets, and then the afr to verify.
I think you hit the nail on the head!
Old 05-02-2010, 03:00 AM
slowtealz28
Safety Car

Received 407 Likes on 305 Posts

Wonder if it was spraying through the shifts? Anyways, sounds like you hurt the tranny and it's slipping. If you plan on keeping the nitrous get a built transmission from RPM along with a converter that is built to handle nitrous.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:55 AM
LuCkYSe7eN11
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by littlem
I'll try to keep a long story short, but would appreciate any ideas you guys have. I bought a 97 at the end of last summer which had nitrous installed on it, I didn't get to learn much about it as the owner is locked up for quite a while (dealing cocaine) and I bought it from his uncle. Anyway...I couldn't help myself, charged up the bottle, and gave it a go yesterday. Best I can explain about the kit is it is a wet system as it's hooked into the driver side fuel rail, it appears to have two solenoids for the gas, and two more for the nitrous, it also has a wot switch on the gas pedal.
Alright, so I turned on the switches, jumped on the gas...and, well...it took off like a raped ape. I did this a few times through out the day just for a quick blast here and there. About the last time I did it, i had the pedal to the floor and before i knew it, the car redlined (around 6k) without shifting to the next gear (automatic). It stayed at redline cutting in and out until i let off the gas (as quick as i could, but it seemed like days). That was naturally the end of the nitrous use as I figured i did enough damage for one day.
Now (w/o nitrous) the car's shifting is still all screwed up. Even as i accelerate slowly, the rpms want to keep going up and up without shifting until i let off the gas for a second. If I stay on the gas (not even to the floor), the rpms will climb all the way up to 6k again and the car will start cutting out until i left off the gas and it shifts. Oddly enough, if I'm crusing around 45 or so and jump on it, it will downshift and lock up good without slipping at all. It sounds stupid, but the best i can describe it is that the car forgets when it needs to shift...
Any chance i damaged anything other than the transmission? or do I need to get it into the shop and hear the bad news? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And yes, I know what you're thinkin...but i just couldn't help it!
Sorry but I couldnt help but laugh at your story. The whole nitrous thing, not really ur tranny going out. Good luck with finding your problem!
Old 05-02-2010, 06:41 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Side note- when beating on an A4 car, only do it in 3rd not D.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:02 AM
Nysbadmk8
Racer

You killed your trans for starters, and depending upon the nitrous system and how it was installed you could have damaged your engine too.

Nitrous isnt a toy, and I have no idea why anyone uses it on the street.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:12 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I would check for codes on the DIC ? If you really screwed up the tranny you should be getting all kinds of codes.

Nitrous is actully illegal to use on the street because of the danger a pressurized bottle creates in an accident. Anyway, best of luck getting it fixed up. If it's your tranny get RPM to rebuild you a new tranny and pick-up a new converter and make sure to flush your lines and cooler out.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:47 AM
superramvette2
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Nysbadmk8
You killed your trans for starters, and depending upon the nitrous system and how it was installed you could have damaged your engine too.

Nitrous isnt a toy, and I have no idea why anyone uses it on the street.

Nitrous is not illegal in all states. Each state is different. That being said nitrous is also no different from a turbocharger/supercharger and has the same risks on the street as either of those.

I have run nitrous for 10 years on many cars(250+shots) and usually the people who dog using it dont use it themselves.

I can drive around all day in my bone stock c5 get stock mileage,driveability, yet run 11's with a push of a button. I might go through a bottle every 2-3 months so it costs me 80 bucks a year plus the initial 500 investment. Cheap horsepower IMO and damn good bang for the buck.

As for the original poster, with a stock tranny spraying through the shifts is not advised because of the massive torque created on nitrous. As stated above you blew through your shifts and probably burnt the clutches. PULL YOUR DIPSTICK AND SMELL THE FLUID, it will look very orange and have a burnt smell to it. This will likely confirm this. For later use buy a window switch that wont allow it to spray through the shifts or hit fuel cut.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:30 PM
K RIPPER
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah yes nitrious,was the first kid on the block with nitrious got my first kit late 70's early 80's I covered the lines and solenoids with plastic wire loom most didn't even know what nitrious was back then. There was no NOS, there was only a company called Marvin Miller and it was only available in boat yards. Back then a pretty basic system non adj was good for 4 to 7 tenth's and expensive for back then $400 BUT 4 TO 7 TENTHS IT WAS A BARGAIN FOR $$$ INVESTED VS et GAINED prob. w/nitrious is once you hit that button it all comes on at once.. hit it in the wrong gear (stick)too low rpm cylinder pressure goes sky high good bye head gasket..happen to hit it exact time gear change (auto) prob. is it makes all it's power instantiously compounded with the fact that the bottle pressure is high on the very first hit and nitrious alwaYS FLOWS BEFORE GASOLINE 1200 LBS BOTTLE PRESSUREVS 40 LBS FUEL PRESSUREi ADVISE WHEN YOU ARE GOING TO USE FIRST ARM SYSTEM WITH BOTTLE TURNED OFF AND ACTIVATE SYSTEM GET GASOLINE FLOWINGJUST FOR A COUPLE SECONDS THEN TURN ON BOTTLE don'tuse when trans wil kick down to a lower gear if using from a roll put trans in lower gear manually that split second when it downshifts and your WOT nitrious activation button triggers that nitrious just as your car is taking a breath and is going into a lower gear think your tranny likes that kind of use? nitrious works and sure makes power that same power either propels your car or breaks it.Advise go conservative on jetting keep a 50 shot for everyday and 100 max get a tune make sure timing is pulled way back when on the hit if you go way safe on timing2 to 4 degrees more than recommended if you get a load of bad gas you will still be safe.Last don't heat the bottle all that does is increase pressure and puts more nitrious in at a critical time when it may be a tad lean to start with as n20 1200 NLBS PRESS.VS GASOLINE 40 LBS PRESS.AND THAT FIRST SPLIT SECOND IT COMES ON HIGH PRESS N2O JUST BLASTS THE GASOLINE ALL OVER THE PLACE SOME CYLINDERS GET A LITTLE LEAN TILL IT STARTS TO FLOW AND EVERYTHING SELTTLES DOWN BY THEN YOU COULD HAVE HAD A LITTLE DETONATION(CRACK A RING)OR SOME SLIGHT DAMAGE THAT SHOWS UP AFTER REPEATED USE...The good part is with N2O a vette will sure smoke the tires from a roll and that is pretty impressive to see... good luck
Old 05-02-2010, 12:42 PM
K RIPPER
Burning Brakes

AIG1915 nitrious is NOT illegal to possess or use in an automobile in NY or NJ in NJ to possess you need a state issued nitrious permit which is available through NJ dept of health Trenton NJ USED TO BE FREE THINK IT NOW COSTS A COUPLE BUCKS a secured nitrious bottle secured and vented as per NHRA rules poses very little safety hazard remember it is not a fuel it is an oxiderizer if illegal how would all those people with lung disorders who depend on oxygen bottles cope?
Old 05-02-2010, 12:56 PM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by K RIPPER
AIG1915 nitrious is NOT illegal to possess or use in an automobile in NY or NJ in NJ to possess you need a state issued nitrious permit which is available through NJ dept of health Trenton NJ USED TO BE FREE THINK IT NOW COSTS A COUPLE BUCKS a secured nitrious bottle secured and vented as per NHRA rules poses very little safety hazard remember it is not a fuel it is an oxiderizer if illegal how would all those people with lung disorders who depend on oxygen bottles cope?
LOL, I think what he was saying is that many states have outlawed or are trying to for use in cars on public roadways.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:12 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by superramvette2
PULL YOUR DIPSTICK and smell the fluid, it will look very orange and have a burnt smell to it............
This I got to see.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:47 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 75 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
This I got to see.
Really familiar with a C5, huh?
Old 05-02-2010, 02:29 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

"All throttle, no bottle" has been my motto for the past 20+ years...but to each his own.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Nysbadmk8
Racer

I wasnt saying nitrous is "illegal" to use on the streets, I was saying its ****ing retarded to use on the streets, EVEN MORE so when you didnt do the install, and dont know what/how your doing.

Ive run nitrous on my 02 WS6, MY 03 Mill C5, 93 Lincoln mark 8, and I will be running a HSW kit on my 01 Z,

I put 480 to the wheels in street trim, all N20 is going to do for me on the streets is melt my tires more.

Take it to the track.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Nysbadmk8
Racer

Nitrous is not illegal in all states. Each state is different. That being said nitrous is also no different from a turbocharger/supercharger and has the same risks on the street as either of those.

I have run nitrous for 10 years on many cars(250+shots) and usually the people who dog using it dont use it themselves.

I can drive around all day in my bone stock c5 get stock mileage,driveability, yet run 11's with a push of a button. I might go through a bottle every 2-3 months so it costs me 80 bucks a year plus the initial 500 investment. Cheap horsepower IMO and damn good bang for the buck.

As for the original poster, with a stock tranny spraying through the shifts is not advised because of the massive torque created on nitrous. As stated above you blew through your shifts and probably burnt the clutches. PULL YOUR DIPSTICK AND SMELL THE FLUID, it will look very orange and have a burnt smell to it. This will likely confirm this. For later use buy a window switch that wont allow it to spray through the shifts or hit fuel cut.

Yes, I echo this. Get a progressive controller with a window switch.

Get notified of new replies

To I knew I shouldn't try the nitrous when i knew nothing about it

Old 05-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Dave02C5
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

PULL YOUR DIPSTICK AND SMELL THE FLUID.
wow this just proves you shouldnt listen to everyone on the internet

if you know everything about C5s you would find that C5 A4s dont have dipsticks
Old 05-02-2010, 09:01 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 99blancoss
LOL, I think what he was saying is that many states have outlawed or are trying to for use in cars on public roadways.
Thank you, that is correct because in an accident the cylinder head piece could blow off and potential kill someone.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Dave02C5
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ajg1915
Thank you, that is correct because in an accident the cylinder head piece could blow off and potential kill someone.
um what?

Quick Reply: I knew I shouldn't try the nitrous when i knew nothing about it