C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Stupid Stupid question about changing out turn signal lamp...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 10:35 AM
Fivo Killer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Stupid Stupid question about changing out turn signal lamp...

I cant find the topic where everyone repsponded. I guess I am just lazy and never got around to chaning out the bulb. When I went to do it last night, I noticed there are all sorts of things in the way and I couldnt get my arm down far enough to reach the bulb. Is there another way to get to the turn signal bulb <daytime running lamp bulb>? Can you pop the light out? This is getting ridiculous. I keep getting the finger for not using my turn signal... and I cant... :D
Old 03-15-2002, 11:43 AM
2KVetteMan
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Stupid Stupid Stupid question about changing out turn signal lamp... (Fivo Killer)

I replaced my bulbs with clear white, I didn't really like the orange look. This is what you have to do.

1) Open your hood.
2) have your headlights up, but not on.
3) Unscrew the cover over the headlights, the body panel, be carefull don't scratch it or lay it on the floor where it can be scratched.
4) You can turn the headlight down now. From there you should be able to reach the bulb and turn it to pop it off.

5) I had some trouble because my arms are big. If you have skinny hands then you could probably just stick your hand down there without any trouble.

6) Reverse the process.

Tools needed.
Screw driver.
L-wrench
And a place to put the panels without getting scratch.

P.S Should take you about 20 minutes.

:cheers:

[Modified by 2KVetteMan, 3:44 PM 3/15/2002]
Old 03-15-2002, 12:22 PM
Fivo Killer
Instructor

Default Re: Stupid Stupid Stupid question about changing out turn signal lamp... (2KVetteMan)

Old 03-15-2002, 12:40 PM
Mark S.
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Stupid Stupid Stupid question about changing out turn signal lamp... (Fivo Killer)

According to the Service Manual...

1) you're supposed to lift your Vette
2) remove the drop out/valance panel in front of your tire (it's a panel that is underneath the front of your car, just behind the flexible air dam(s) ).
3) reach in and move the brake duct to the side
4) then reach in and remove and replace the bulb...
5) replace the panel and that's it

You can do it via 2KVetteMan's method, but you have to be careful about getting your covers back on properly, etc. Also, I'm not sure if the bulb wiring harness is long enough for it for you to work on it. I would think you would still have to move the brake air duct and push the bulb harness recepticle through it and then change the bulb.

No matter how you look at...it must be a real PITA.
The guy who designed this one must have said: let's see, we will have a bulb (DRL) that will be burning all the time, and then we'll place it where it will be difficult for the consumer to replace...wow...we can make lots of money having them bring their Vette in so we can replace that bulb...great idea!

Me...I removed #2 fuse under the hood and said bye bye to those distracting (not to mention...Hi! law enforcement officers, here I am) lights. Plus the bulbs will now last a lot longer!!
This year Toyota got smart and they give you the option of turning off your DRLs with the flip of a switch. I wonder if GM will ever get smart, too.
:yesnod:

[Modified by Mark S., 10:45 AM 3/15/2002]
Old 03-15-2002, 12:56 PM
2KVetteMan
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Stupid Stupid Stupid question about changing out turn signal lamp... (Mark S.)

Thats another way, but it involves lifting, the only part is just getting the panels back on correctly but that is not a problem.

Good luck in either way.

Manuals sometimes just take you the long route.
Old 03-15-2002, 01:00 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,214 Likes on 3,457 Posts

Default Re: Stupid Stupid Stupid question about changing out turn signal lamp... (2KVetteMan)

I drove mine unto a pair of stacked 2x12 (2 per side) ramps I'd made and did it from underneath. No problem. Pull the brake ducts out of the way. I was a little hesitant at first to deal with them, but they are about as heavy as toilet paper and easy to remove and replace. Also, there is a little clip on the socket to squeeze as you turn it to remove it from the light. One was already broken on my new car! But, it hadn't "backed out" so no biggie. I replaced my yellows with whites and like it much bette with my pewter car. All the best! :yesnod:
Old 03-15-2002, 01:17 PM
Fivo Killer
Instructor

Default Re: Stupid Stupid Stupid question about changing out turn signal lamp... (Avanti)

I figured I would take a friend of mines backhoe and some chains to get it done. I'll tack weld the chains to the top brace of my roof. Then... I'll take the bucket and place it over the top of my car. After attaching the chains to my car <via the welder> I'll make sure it is real secure. Then, i'll life the car off the ground and smash into a tree for pissing me off. Then, after all the pieces fall to the ground, I will put the scrap metal into a furnace and melt them down into a bling bling necklace to wear around my neck, it will be swell! Then when everyone asks whats that, I tell them its my car that pissed me off! I think I am going to go work for Chevy and see how difficult I can make it to change something as simple as a fuse. Or maybe yet, I'll make it so you have to take it to the dealer to get it refueld. Yeah, thats a good idea! That way, when you run out of gas, you have to get it towed to the dealership, leave it there overnight, and pay them $129 to refuel... sounds like a good idea doesnt it!!!

:rolleyes:
Old 03-15-2002, 01:25 PM
2KVetteMan
Melting Slicks

I figured I would take a friend of mines backhoe and some chains to get it done. I'll tack weld the chains to the top brace of my roof. Then... I'll take the bucket and place it over the top of my car. After attaching the chains to my car <via the welder> I'll make sure it is real secure. Then, i'll life the car off the ground and smash into a tree for pissing me off. Then, after all the pieces fall to the ground, I will put the scrap metal into a furnace and melt them down into a bling bling necklace to wear around my neck, it will be swell! Then when everyone asks whats that, I tell them its my car that pissed me off! I think I am going to go work for Chevy and see how difficult I can make it to change something as simple as a fuse. Or maybe yet, I'll make it so you have to take it to the dealer to get it refueld. Yeah, thats a good idea! That way, when you run out of gas, you have to get it towed to the dealership, leave it there overnight, and pay them $129 to refuel... sounds like a good idea doesnt it!!!

:rolleyes:
:lol: :lol:
I could not believe the work invloved in just getting to a pair of bulbs, not that it was much, but they make it so difficult. :smash: Thanks Chevy
Old 03-15-2002, 01:27 PM
Untouchable00
Melting Slicks

2KVetteMan, is that your arms in your sig. picture??
Old 03-15-2002, 01:29 PM
Brazen C5
Racer

I changed mine without tools or lifting the car. Took 15 min at the most.

I pushed back (and down) the plastic tube inside the brake cooling duct reached up inside the cooling duct, unscrewed the socket, pulled the harness throught the duct and removed/replaced the bulb! Reverse for install.

chris
Old 03-15-2002, 01:47 PM
2KVetteMan
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Stupid Stupid Stupid question about changing out turn signal lamp... (Untouchable00)

2KVetteMan, is that your arms in your sig. picture??
Now you know why I had trouble getting my arms in there. :lol: :lol:
Old 03-15-2002, 03:38 PM
Mark S.
Safety Car

Default Re: Stupid Stupid Stupid question about changing out turn signal lamp... (Brazen C5)

BrazenC5, that's a pretty interesting and easy way to do it. However, it seems that when you push the brake duct tubing back it would then stop when it hits the front tire. You also said that you could push it down...it seems to me that even if you push it down...half of the brake duct tube will block the brake duct opening (and make it difficult to get your hand in there). I will give it a try later.
Old 03-15-2002, 03:48 PM
Fast one
Safety Car

Received 348 Likes on 220 Posts

Default Re: Stupid Stupid Stupid question about changing out turn signal lamp... (Mark S.)

My solution to this fun packed design is to replace the lamps with leds and be done with it for good; stay tuned.
Old 03-15-2002, 03:51 PM
numtin
Instructor

I spoke to a dealership about doing this, and they wanted 1 1/2 hours in labor to remove the headlights and change the build. I was told there is no way to do it without removing the headlights. I am still looking for an easy way to do this.
Old 03-15-2002, 04:48 PM
vette.se
Drifting

Fivo Killer,

I do not think it's a stupid question, it's a great question. I've tried to figure out how to reach the turn signal light bulbs. Now I know. Thanks.

[Modified by seanr, 9:48 PM 3/15/2002]
Old 03-15-2002, 05:14 PM
Fivo Killer
Instructor

Default Re: Stupid Stupid Stupid question about changing out turn signal lamp... (seanr)

If the bulb is bad <or at least one of the elements in it> wont it blink REAL REAL fast. About three times as fast??? I am almost 100% sure the bulb is bad, but my luck the computer is malfunctioning and I need a new one.

Maybe its my flux capacitor or my muffler bearing, but I really hope not. I can't find any plutnonium to fix it with. Go figure. :mad
Old 03-15-2002, 05:33 PM
2KVetteMan
Melting Slicks

If the bulb is bad <or at least one of the elements in it> wont it blink REAL REAL fast. About three times as fast??? I am almost 100% sure the bulb is bad, but my luck the computer is malfunctioning and I need a new one.

Maybe its my flux capacitor or my muffler bearing, but I really hope not. I can't find any plutnonium to fix it with. Go figure. :mad
The symptons that you are describing about the blinking light happen to me last month. One of my daylight bulbs burned out and caused my blinking light to blink supper fast. Replace it and you are back to normal.

Also the procedure I describe on how to replace was from another post that someone told me. Keep it simple.

Cheers!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Stupid Stupid Stupid question about changing out turn signal lamp...

Quick Reply: Stupid Stupid Stupid question about changing out turn signal lamp...