C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service ABS, Service Traction Control, Service Active Handling

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 12:41 PM
CK571
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please send me a copy also CK571@hotmail.com
Thanks
Old 01-06-2015, 09:46 PM
black c4
5th Gear

Default lights

could you send it to me also, thanks a lot krp944@nctv.com
Old 11-27-2015, 02:12 PM
Newrock
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am looking at a '03 with relatively low mileage (30,000 miles) but the ABS light/traction control is already on. Owner will discount the car $3000 from asking price (down to around $20,000) but I have to fix it. I find this prospect sort of scary.... any thoughts? I do not know the fault codes
Old 11-27-2015, 03:01 PM
RockyMtC5
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

It's not scary, $150 if you send yours to get rebuilt or $1200 new. Don't let that be a deal breaker on a nice '03!

Last edited by RockyMtC5; 11-27-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:59 PM
sam-garcia
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Get it.

Originally Posted by Newrock
I am looking at a '03 with relatively low mileage (30,000 miles) but the ABS light/traction control is already on. Owner will discount the car $3000 from asking price (down to around $20,000) but I have to fix it. I find this prospect sort of scary.... any thoughts? I do not know the fault codes
Definitely get it. I bought my 03 for around that price but it 65000 miles. Don't let that stop you. What the other guy said is correct.
When my abs and traction control lights came on, I found a dude on Craigslist (California) that rebuilds them. He charged me 40 bucks for an exchange of the module. I did it myself and I am by no means a "mechanic" beyond simply oil changes.

That sounds like an awesome deal. Take it.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:56 PM
Newrock
Intermediate

Thanks, folks. Very helpful. Will try to get the codes on Monday and then post here for further discussion.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:25 PM
emullick
Heel & Toe

Default EBCM exchange

Originally Posted by RockyMtC5
It's not scary, $150 if you send yours to get rebuilt or $1200 new. Don't let that be a deal breaker on a nice '03!
I used ABS Fixer, absfixer.com, for my EBCM problem many years ago. They charged $150, and they have removal instructions online. No problems after.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:30 PM
Newrock
Intermediate

Default Codes That Revealed Themselves

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
You need to pull the codes. Could be any of more than a dozen different things that cause the AH/TC light to be illuminated. ONLY codes will tell you exactly what is wrong. Could be as simple as bad grounds or loose connections at the wheel speed sensors or as complex as the entire EBCM is bad or anywhere in between. Cost to repair depends upon if you are a DIY'er and can do some of your own work up to $2K or more if you take it to a dealer.

Here is how to pull codes:

OR

http://www.c5forum.com/ayc/dtcdic.php

Post ALL the codes including the H or C or HC that follow each 5 character code.

You CANNOT take the car to an auto parts place to have codes read. Their readers ONLY display standardized emissions codes and NOT the vehicle specific codes. Use the procedure above.....
Here are the codes:

PCM No Codes

TCS 2 Codes
C1214 H
C1243 H

SDM One Code
U 1040 H

LDCM Three Codes
U 1064 H
B 2282 H
B 2284 H

RDCM Three Codes
B 2283 H
B 2285 H
U 1064 H

SCM Two Codes
B 2605 H
B2606 H

RTD No Codes
BCM No Codes
IPC No Codes
Radio No Codes
HVAC No Codes
RFA No Codes

Incidentally, the traction control and ABS lights have gone off. Drove the car about 35 miles today without incident. I certainly hope this does not mean an intermittent problem as in my limited experience they are (1) hard to diagnose and (2) get nasty at the absolutely worst times.... Thanks for the video link ! Great resource.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:13 PM
Newrock
Intermediate

Suggest that you clear ALL the codes. See the video for how to do that.

Then as you drive the car watch for the ABS/TCS light to come on again ( likely it will). When it comes on again, pull over as soon as convenient and pull the codes again BEFORE you shut off the engine. To pull codes with the engine running you must first use the reset key to clear all messages displayed in the DIC. Then pull codes as before.

Likely you will see a C1214. Very common failure. Several options for correcting this code. If you are a DIY'er use this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...r-fleabay.html

Another option is to send the EBCM out to any of several shops that can deal with the main power relay in the EBCM. ABSFIXER is one and there are others listed on Ebay.

Worst case is the EBCM is not repairable and you have to replace it. They are still available new for the 2001 - 2004 model years. Most likely the main power relay has failed or has cold solder joints that fail from time to time causing your symptoms.

The C1243 is BPMV motor stalled. Deal with the C1214 first as the C1243 may be a side effect of the EBCM failing due to the main power relay. If the C1243 keeps returning then read through this link:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...770-c1423.html

Please post back your results so others can benefit from your experience....
Will do. Thanks for the assistance. I will post the results as it develops.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:17 PM
Newrock
Intermediate

Then as you drive the car watch for the ABS/TCS light to come on again ( likely it will). When it comes on again, pull over as soon as convenient and pull the codes again BEFORE you shut off the engine. To pull codes with the engine running you must first use the reset key to clear all messages displayed in the DIC. Then pull codes as before.

Likely you will see a C1214. Very common failure. Several options for correcting this code. If you are a DIY'er use this thread:

Another option is to send the EBCM out to any of several shops that can deal with the main power relay in the EBCM. ABSFIXER is one and there are others listed on Ebay.

Worst case is the EBCM is not repairable and you have to replace it. They are still available new for the 2001 - 2004 model years. Most likely the main power relay has failed or has cold solder joints that fail from time to time causing your symptoms.

The C1243 is BPMV motor stalled. Deal with the C1214 first as the C1243 may be a side effect of the EBCM failing due to the main power relay. If the C1243 keeps returning then read through this link:

Thanks. Will do. I'll post results as things develop.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:21 AM
DK1
3rd Gear

Default I just got this error on my way home from purchasing my 02 Vette.

Please send me the information. dkerrigan1@verizon.net
Old 12-04-2015, 06:32 PM
DK1
3rd Gear

Default Awesome, detailed and easy to understand!

It is here on the Forum in PDF format at:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1574465190
Thanks! I love this forum! Driving a Corvette is just as fun as it was when I drove a friends when I was 18! So glad I found this site!
Old 12-04-2015, 08:49 PM
Darrellbjr
5th Gear

Darrellbjr@yahoo.com can I have it as well thanks
Old 12-04-2015, 10:05 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Actually the BPMV motor problem could have caused the relay in the EBCM to go bad. When the motor stalls or starts running slowly that means it is consuming more current which can burn the contacts. Yes, sending the unit out to ABS fixer to get the relay replaced will fix it for a while. However, if the BPMV is drawing more current than it is supposed to there will still be performance issues with the system and the new relay may eventually burn out even though it is rated for higher current.

Bill
Old 12-04-2015, 11:09 PM
Newrock
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Actually the BPMV motor problem could have caused the relay in the EBCM to go bad. When the motor stalls or starts running slowly that means it is consuming more current which can burn the contacts. Yes, sending the unit out to ABS fixer to get the relay replaced will fix it for a while. However, if the BPMV is drawing more current than it is supposed to there will still be performance issues with the system and the new relay may eventually burn out even though it is rated for higher current.

Bill
So is there a way to diagnose this?
Old 12-05-2015, 11:10 AM
Porps
2nd Gear

Default Same error

Originally Posted by CHUXDRM
Bill, would you send your info to me also? I have been having my ABS, TC, AH warning lights come on also, and have been followong these threads lately, would like to have your tutorial and photos on hand.

My email address is c.brehse@mchsi.com .

Thanks,
Chuck
Please send me what you have on these errors too!!!

Porps2001@yahoo.com

Error codes 99 HVAC B0363 and B0441

I would really appreciate any help!

Thank you!
Old 12-05-2015, 09:11 PM
Porps
2nd Gear

Default ABS and HVAC

Originally Posted by Porps
Please send me what you have on these errors too!!!

Porps2001@yahoo.com

Error codes 99 HVAC B0363 and B0441

I would really appreciate any help!

Thank you!
I'm actually having ABS Trac errors and HVAC errors. Looks like I have a long winter ahead in the garage!

Get notified of new replies

To Service ABS, Service Traction Control, Service Active Handling

Old 04-20-2016, 08:39 PM
Newrock
Intermediate

Default ABS Fixed

I promised to let the forum know as things developed - sorry to have been so long in doing so. I had the car in storage for the winter and then I was pretty sick. All better now. I had the mechanic who works on my other car check out the forum info and then be sent the ABS module to ABS Fixer for a rebuild. All assembled now and it seems to be working. There are no current codes and he checked out the pump motor, power and ground and all seems well. Haven't had a chance to put many miles on the car yet but the ABS seems to be OK. Thanks very much to all who contributed expertise!
So we were able to pick up a 2003 50th Anniversary convertible with 33,000 miles for around 20K if we agreed to fix the ABS ourselves. We hope to ride Route 66 with it this fall. Have done large parts of 66 on a motorcycle so this should be luxury .... Corvette carries about the same amount of luggage though!
Old 04-21-2016, 10:21 AM
chuck1992
Heel & Toe

Default Dash lights/electrical issues

Bill could you send me the tutorial as well charlielambert3257@yahoo.com

My dash lights are all lighting up and going wild. I just took it to dealer to see what they say on the matter I have done a lot of research and it seem to be the two major things are the grounds on the car or the LDCM for some reason. But hopefully the dealer will be able to narrow it down to a part for me to start at because I don't want to pay thousands of dollars to a dealer that I can do my self. also I am not really good with wiring and things like that.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:21 AM
chuck1992
Heel & Toe

Very unlikely that the dealer is going to do anything for you on your symptoms except lighten your wallet...

I would read the following thread VERY carefully and then examine the connectors inside the rubber accordian tube of BOTH doors.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-there-is.html

The symptoms you are experiencing are pretty common when the black 6 pin connector, identified in the 3rd from the last picture of post #1 of the above thread, has bent or damaged pins.

Bill T. the author of the Tutorial you are looking for has not been logged into the Forum for many years so you won't get it from him. However a link to the file you are looking for is located in this in this post:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1574465190

If you click on the link in the above post a PDF will be sent to your PC that you can open and then print....
thanks for the help so after the dealer says cant figure it out and take my money i should look in both doors for the connectors and check the door control module as well as all the wires in the door i also heard it could be a ground one of 15 on the car. my car was a water damage and the previous owner replaced the computer in it so i doubt that it could be that i drove it less than 2000 miles since i got it years ago. thanks for your help and sometimes when i try to lock the door on driver side it doesn't like then i juggle the the rubber water seal and it works could that be my problem to the whole thing.

Last edited by chuck1992; 04-21-2016 at 03:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Service ABS, Service Traction Control, Service Active Handling