C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

squeeling from parking brake.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:56 AM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Default squeeling from parking brake.

i have no idea why this happens, but when braking to a stop, my rear brakes squeek from the parking brake. i can engage the parking brake when its squeeking, and it goes away. i have it adjusted properly, and the rotors are easy to remove and replace. it seems for some reason the parking brake is slightly engaging when i brake, but this makes no sense to me because it is not contacting the rotor when the parking brake handle is released. i dont know why the parking brake would engage by pressing the brake pedal.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:46 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

ttt
Old 04-23-2010, 09:11 AM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

ttt...
Old 08-04-2013, 12:44 AM
BigT-65
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 65. My parking brake on the driver side squeals when I back up. I had the wheel off a few months back and the adjuster was stuck. I couldn't unstick it so I put it back in stuck. When the car has been sitting up a few days it squeals when I back out of the garage. After I have been driving a couple of hundred feet it doesn't squeal any more until the next time it sits up a couple of days. As soon as the weather cools off some I am going to get a new adjuster and fix it.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:04 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Have you checked the attachment and support of the parking brake cables ? If the cable is flopping around, it could cause some movement in the PB shoe causing contact and the squeal. Last time you had the rotors off, did you clean out all the accumulated brake dust and garbage from the PB mechanism and rotor drum ? An accumulation of this junk can sometimes cause noise.

Get notified of new replies

To squeeling from parking brake.

Quick Reply: squeeling from parking brake.