C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone changed out their rear differential? How hard?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 08:48 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Anyone changed out their rear differential? How hard?

I need to swap in a new differential.. thinking about doing it myself.. has anyone done this?!?! whats it like!? tips?!?!

Also, if i'm ordering a brand new differential from GM besides the limited slip additive and the gear lube.. is there any other parts or seals I need to order?

And how long would you guys figure doing it on jackstands for someone with good mechanical experience/tools?

Last edited by Z06_BluByU; 03-25-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:41 AM
DIXZ
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I did mine in my garage on my back on jack stands. It isn't too bad a job, just time consuming. You need to remove the center section of exhaust, the tunnel plate, drop the rear cradle with brakes and axles, then tilt the diff/trans/torque tube/ motor combination until you can slide the diff off.

It will take most of the weekend, but you will come away with a better understanding of how the car was designed.

Tips: Have a good transmission jack available!

Do a search, you will find some nice write ups with pics.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:39 AM
chevylad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mines after I changed the clutch out. It's not hard, but it does take a while to do (something like 8 hours just to pull it down.) I pulled the whole driveline out and on jackstands.

I don't remember any special tools aside from those jacking pucks which you can do without if you are creative enough, but don't put any weight on the fiberglass. You will need a good selection of metric sockets. I had a transmission jack adapter from auto zone and not a real transmission jack and that worked for me. I controlled the tilting with a support up front on the torque tube. Just keep most of the weight on the rear jack. I left the trans on a jackstand and used the jack to get the diff out and away from the whole assembly or you can pull the whole assembly out and just lift it off (it's about 80lbs)

Having the factory manuals is huge. You don't have to sit there and check every little detail out and try and figure out what needs to come off first. The while you are at it makes it expensive. I would do a clutch if you have over 70K on the speedo, but that is very dependent on how the car was driven.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:04 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I did my change out all by myself off my home made ramp system, in my garage last spring. It's the perfect time to add the trans/diff brace too. I used this very informative write up by Cajundude. It's detailed w/pictures. Follow that and you can't go wrong. Hope this will work for you and any other forum member. C/5 Tech/How to. http:www.cajundude.com/differential.htm Good luck.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:17 PM
KBlanke
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just did this Sebring two weeks ago in our racecar, working on jackstands it took about four hours, of course we have had plenty of practice.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

so maybe 600 bucks in labor is worth it for a 12 month warranty?!?! (on parts and labor)?
Old 03-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06_BluByU
so maybe 600 bucks in labor is worth it for a 12 month warranty?!?! (on parts and labor)?
Sure was worth it for me. Dropped the car off and picked it up the next day and no prob at all. Very easy (especially with the wife's concurrence)
Old 03-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Bash
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hardest part of the whole ordeal is having the right tools and jacking the car up properly.

Make sure you have a transmission jack or a motorcylce jack if you decide to pull it all.

I had 2 buddies come over (I ordered pizza and a few 6-packs) and we got to work (All this done on the slab of concrete on the side of my house....it was the flattest place), there is a write up in the tech section on how to remove the trans/diff. I had a hard time separating the diff from the trans., so I decided to remove it all including the TQ tube and reinstall it all together. Not too bad if you ask me, I used to have a 2003 Cobra and that was more of a hassle then this car!

Once you get the car jacked up high enough on all 4 ends, just follow the write up and before you know it, the diff will be out. WARNING: We forgot about the wireharness and how it attached to the top of the TQ tube and we had to pull it out twice, FYI....I was so excited on the timing we had made (1-2 days) that I forgot and had to remove it all again, so just remember.

Last edited by Bash; 03-25-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:38 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Originally Posted by Joy of 6
Sure was worth it for me. Dropped the car off and picked it up the next day and no prob at all. Very easy (especially with the wife's concurrence)
Old 03-25-2010, 08:39 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bash
The hardest part of the whole ordeal is having the right tools and jacking the car up properly.

Make sure you have a transmission jack or a motorcylce jack if you decide to pull it all.

I had 2 buddies come over (I ordered pizza and a few 6-packs) and we got to work (All this done on the slab of concrete on the side of my house....it was the flattest place), there is a write up in the tech section on how to remove the trans/diff. I had a hard time separating the diff from the trans., so I decided to remove it all including the TQ tube and reinstall it all together. Not too bad if you ask me, I used to have a 2003 Cobra and that was more of a hassle then this car!

Once you get the car jacked up high enough on all 4 ends, just follow the write up and before you know it, the diff will be out. WARNING: We forgot about the wireharness and how it attached to the top of the TQ tube and we had to pull it out twice, FYI....I was so excited on the timing we had made (1-2 days) that I forgot and had to remove it all again, so just remember.

HAd that happen to me on a tranmission R&R once.. it because a R&R&R&R.. damit!
Old 03-25-2010, 09:19 PM
DIXZ
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06_BluByU
Good luck there!

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone changed out their rear differential? How hard?

Quick Reply: Anyone changed out their rear differential? How hard?