C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with advise on oil leak! Rear Engine Seal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 12:41 AM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Default Need help with advise on oil leak! Rear Engine Seal?

First, my car only has 30K miles and sits in the garage most of the time. I noticed a couple weeks ago a spot of oil on the floor about a dime size after I moved the car out of the garage. Since then I have had the car up in the air several times and each time wiped off any oil. The oil is at the bottom of the bell housing. You can see where it is slinging on the header on the right side and can smell it after a short drive, maybe 10 miles or so. I have tried to see if maybe it's comong from the top of the back of the engine but I can't tell, everything looks dry from what I can see with a flashlight. Is it a common problem for the rear seal to leak?

Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 03-21-2010, 01:08 AM
C501962
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had both the oil pan seal and the rear main leaking. However, it would not drip on the ground unless the car was nose up elevated on a sloping parking spot. The valve covers were leaking slightly in the back also. I had high miles though so it was ready to be fixed. Everything is good to go now.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:33 AM
soggysailor
Pro

Not sure if this is it , but my oil pressure sensor was leaking and came down the back of engine. Has yours ever been replaced or given you issues?
Old 03-21-2010, 08:10 AM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I didnt notice any leak spots on the ground, but when I had my clutch replaced, we saw the seal leaking slightly, so it was repaired.

Its a whole lot of labor to replace it, so Id wait till clutch time if you could. And if its clutch time, do the gears to because most of your labor is paid for dropping the rear cradle to get to your clutch to get to your rear seal.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:43 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It's probably not the problem, but if you have an oil "catch can", that has needs to be drained, or drain petcock opened up over time, & leaking on down ?. Just a shot in the dark, that wouldn't cost any money to fix. I looked and the catch can mod wasn't in your car's profile. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:13 AM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by printmanjackson
First, my car only has 30K miles and sits in the garage most of the time. I noticed a couple weeks ago a spot of oil on the floor about a dime size after I moved the car out of the garage. Since then I have had the car up in the air several times and each time wiped off any oil. The oil is at the bottom of the bell housing. You can see where it is slinging on the header on the right side and can smell it after a short drive, maybe 10 miles or so. I have tried to see if maybe it's comong from the top of the back of the engine but I can't tell, everything looks dry from what I can see with a flashlight. Is it a common problem for the rear seal to leak?

Has anyone else had this problem?
Well I coulda wrote this myself, except mine only has about 28K. I figured I deserved it for being rough on it with turbo boost, but still sucks...

Like Phil said it's a whole lotta work to fix, so I'll probably wait till I have a better reason to tear down. But I dont see how a clutch job that lowers the rear cradle will get to your engine's rear seal. The oil pan has to come off right, so the front cradle is in the way.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:53 AM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

After reading these replys this doesn't sound good. I hate to have any kind of leak because it will make a mess under the car.

Chris, are you sure the oil pan has to come off to fix the seal? I guess I'll dig out my manual and see what it says.

I never had had any oil pressure switch problems. Is it really possable for the switch to peak and oil is running down behind the bell housing?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

Well I had to search and learn... I searched rear main and found alot of threads where everyone mentions to drop the tube and rear. One person reported a dealer quote of $1000 labor for a $20 part. ouch

The service manual says the flywheel comes off and the seal is pressed in behind. Wish I knew this 3 days ago, as I had the whole rear out this weekend for some diff service and just finished putting it together.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:20 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The manual doesn't talk about all the pre-work to remove parts of the car in order to get to the clutch, flywheel, then rear seal. front cradle, lower oil pan, transaxle and torque tube need to be removed to get to it. if the rear main is leaking you likely need a clutch as well. total parts is probably $600, labor somewhere around $1500.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:00 PM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

If it is the rear seal then it would be crazy not to put in a new clutch.

$1500 for labor? I'll do it myself if this can be done without a lift.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:03 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Other guys have done it in their garage on jack stands but it would be beyond my abilities. I'm sure you could find enough help on here.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Salem_Vette
Advanced

I just had the same problem it was the oil pressure sensor leaking out the top.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:15 PM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Salem_Vette
I just had the same problem it was the oil pressure sensor leaking out the top.
was the switch still working?

man I really hope that is what it is
Old 03-26-2010, 12:01 AM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by printmanjackson
If it is the rear seal then it would be crazy not to put in a new clutch.

$1500 for labor? I'll do it myself if this can be done without a lift.
I did it twice in 2 months on jackstands in the garage.(just clutch,no rear seal)
The clutch isn't too hard to do,but it will take about 14 hours if you're young,or 20 hours if you're an old fart like I am...

If you mess up the pilot bearing,like I did,you get to do it twice...

Check out Dope's clutch how-to to see what's involved...

http://www.cajundude.com/c5techhome.htm
Old 03-26-2010, 10:09 AM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Carcass
I did it twice in 2 months on jackstands in the garage.(just clutch,no rear seal)
The clutch isn't too hard to do,but it will take about 14 hours if you're young,or 20 hours if you're an old fart like I am...

If you mess up the pilot bearing,like I did,you get to do it twice...

Check out Dope's clutch how-to to see what's involved...

http://www.cajundude.com/c5techhome.htm
Thanks, that's some great information on cajundude's page.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with advise on oil leak! Rear Engine Seal?

Quick Reply: Need help with advise on oil leak! Rear Engine Seal?