C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Corvette tail light swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 10:45 AM
Tommywerdine
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Corvette tail light swap

So I have a question for all you experts.. I just renectly purchased a 2000 Corvette, which I love. The previous owner did a lot of aftermarket work to it (which I like) except for the aftermarket tail lights he added. I have the original ones, but my question is.. How do I swap them back to the originals? The aftermarket ones have 2 bulbs that run to them, and the originals only have 1 hole for 1 bulb. Any suggestions? Thank you in advanced!
Old 06-14-2014, 11:07 AM
04tripleblkcoupe
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommywerdine
So I have a question for all you experts.. I just renectly purchased a 2000 Corvette, which I love. The previous owner did a lot of aftermarket work to it (which I like) except for the aftermarket tail lights he added. I have the original ones, but my question is.. How do I swap them back to the originals? The aftermarket ones have 2 bulbs that run to them, and the originals only have 1 hole for 1 bulb. Any suggestions? Thank you in advanced!
Pics would help did he tie into the original wire harness ?
Old 06-14-2014, 11:41 AM
Tommywerdine
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 04tripleblkcoupe
Pics would help did he tie into the original wire harness ?
Yes. He has the second bulb wrapped around the original harness, and wrapped with electrical tape.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:44 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

PM me with your phone number and I can discuss. If they put in a "good" Euro taillight conversion you should be able to just unplug it and install the original setup. I can walk you thru it and explain why they are different. Better than trying to write up what to do.

PS: Don't let me forget to address what you will need to do under the dash. Simple to do but you will need to reconnect the White wire circuit.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:28 AM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Received 377 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Any chance you can write up what is needed regarding to under the dash? I'm removing a set of Euro White and Red Euro tail lights on my corvette when it arrives to swap for LED Halos this week. I'm assuming there is a plug and play harness to remove from each bulb plug. But was not aware of needing to do anything else. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:33 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

There is a white wire coming off the brake switch at the brake pedal. This is used for Domestics and that wire runs to the Hazard switch. To retro fit Euro tail lights it has to be cut (butcher method) or the pin/wire removed from the connector (proper way).

If it was cut you need to reconnect it. If the pin was removed, I can give you more info on how to reinsert. Or, looking at the LMC5 video on eBay will show you.

Hope you know the Euro tail light housings are different from the Domestics. Two bulbs versus one. Not sure if you are putting LEDs into the Euro harness or not. The Euro wiring design in the back is NOT the same as for Domestics so I hope you told the LED guys what you were doing.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:45 AM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Received 377 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Thanks for the heads up, it prompted me to search on the installation of Euro tail lights on a USDM model and I found this writeup.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...y-kamil-d.html

With any luck, I will just be removing the harnesses that were added for the euro conversion and re-soldering the white wire or reattaching it to the pin plug. I will post back with my results.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:55 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

I know the good conversions are GM OEM harness or similar plug and play. However some have you cutting and modifying the harness. Hope you have a plug and play.

Get notified of new replies

To 2000 Corvette tail light swap

Quick Reply: 2000 Corvette tail light swap