C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I run taller tires??

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 09:28 PM
GmasterB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I run taller tires??

My stock rears are getting pretty worn, and I'll be buying new tires next week. I like the way vettes look lowered, but it's my daily driver and I scrape as it sits now. Should I get taller tiires to take up the wheel well more? It has the stock 40's on it, what should I go for.... 45's? or 50's? Opinions PLEASE. Thanks....

GMB
Old 03-11-2002, 12:53 AM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: Should I run taller tires?? (GmasterB)

Maybe your car is low/has been lowered. What's the height to bottom of front spoiler ? It should be about 5 inches. You can adjust ride height. You should not scrape that much, sharp rising ramps/driveways being the exception. It helps to take them by driving nearly parallel to them then turning into them. I also put "wheels" on the frame "rub rails" in front.
Old 03-11-2002, 01:35 PM
RajunCajun2001
Burning Brakes

Try ordering some frame savers and rocker rails from Andy at AA Corvettes.
Old 03-11-2002, 07:29 PM
0-60-IN-5
Advanced

I agree with the previous comments that there are products to protect the frame and the front from A&A...Scraping the ground with the front skirt on inclines and bumping the frame on speed bumps that are oversized for SUVs is an unfortunate side effect we must endure in driving a low slung speedster.

A taller tire will compromise the performance on turns and high speeds...you may not notice it too much but I would not do it ...my $.02. Stay with the 40 ratio tires...many of us have even gone lower in aspect.

If you armor the front and bottom then the risk is minimal. Example: I hit massive dip in the road at an unfamiliar intersection on a trip this last winter and smashed the frame saver wheels in the front so bad I had to replace the bolts and get it rewelded...BUT, the car never got a scratch.

Point... :smash: Buy the frame savers for the front and the rails for the bottom.

0-60-IN-5

[Modified by 0-60-IN-5, 5:30 PM 3/11/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Should I run taller tires??

Quick Reply: Should I run taller tires??