C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Starting Problem HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:24 AM
cseanl
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Starting Problem HELP!

Before I set it on fire or......have had it at dealership twice and Corvettes of Houston this past week without solution/diagnosis.
02 Coupe - MN6, 43000mi - for about the past 2 months have had instances where it will not start, totally random. When I leave for work in the morning after it has been sitting in the garage overnight, without alarm being set-no probs/has never not started. Drive to work (20min/15miles approx) After work-been parked in the office garage with alarm on will always start. After work if I do errands, etc and drive a short distance it will randomly not start. All dash lights come on/radio/HVAC but nothing else-no starter etc. If I take out key , disarm/unlock doors and try it again and again it will eventually start. Have cleaned key, battery checks out OK on tester, no codes on manual diagnostics as well as code reader at dealer & COH. PLEASE give advice. Thanks
Old 02-22-2010, 11:56 AM
SebringSixSpeed
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm, no start and no codes, that's unusual. First thing I would do would be to check all chassis grounds for being clean and tight. Their are 13 total. I would start with the one above the starter.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:01 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SebringSixSpeed
Hmmm, no start and no codes, that's unusual. First thing I would do would be to check all chassis grounds for being clean and tight. Their are 13 total. I would start with the one above the starter.
While there are important grounds to be checked, suggesting that the OP check all 13 locations is unnecessary. Better to focus on those locations ,that if corroded, will precipitate a no start condition.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:01 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Check the battery cables too. I had mine corrode inside and you couldn't even tell (both the battery posts connection and the grounds were clean). From time to time, it would exhibit the same symptoms. From time to time it would also reset the gas mileage to 0.0 on a start.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:03 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by cseanl
Before I set it on fire or......have had it at dealership twice and Corvettes of Houston this past week without solution/diagnosis.
02 Coupe - MN6, 43000mi - for about the past 2 months have had instances where it will not start, totally random. When I leave for work in the morning after it has been sitting in the garage overnight, without alarm being set-no probs/has never not started. Drive to work (20min/15miles approx) After work-been parked in the office garage with alarm on will always start. After work if I do errands, etc and drive a short distance it will randomly not start. All dash lights come on/radio/HVAC but nothing else-no starter etc. If I take out key , disarm/unlock doors and try it again and again it will eventually start. Have cleaned key, battery checks out OK on tester, no codes on manual diagnostics as well as code reader at dealer & COH. PLEASE give advice. Thanks
Not sure how proficient you are using a DMM and schematics. This needs to be troubleshot in the no start condition......and you will find the cause quickly. When you say alarm, are you referring to an aftermarket alarm?
Old 02-22-2010, 12:28 PM
cseanl
Heel & Toe

Factory Alarm/Security
Old 02-22-2010, 12:30 PM
cseanl
Heel & Toe

Thanks for your replies- just annoying that BOTH Dealer & Corvettes of Houston had my car for 4-5 days and it NEVER wouldn't start for them. Will try to check grounds (in all my spare time LOL)
Old 02-22-2010, 12:31 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by cseanl
Factory Alarm/Security
Ok, just making sure there isn't an additional variable.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:34 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Since this is an ongoing issue, I would have the lower closeout panel removed to access the TDR, and a meter at the ready. That way when it doesn't start, you can immediately tell if the TDR is working.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:42 PM
cseanl
Heel & Toe

Tdr?
Old 02-22-2010, 12:55 PM
wildbadbill
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you checked that during "no start" condition do you get 12V to the starter solenoid? Put the meter on the starter solenoid wire and have someone crank it-or just like I did if you have a long lead put the meter on the windshield so you can read it from inside the car...
Old 02-22-2010, 12:56 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by wildbadbill
have you checked that during "no start" condition do you get 12V to the starter solenoid? Put the meter on the starter solenoid wire and have someone crank it-or just like I did if you have a long lead put the meter on the windshield so you can read it from inside the car...
Exactly why I suggested checking the TDR, because it sounds like this happens when he is away from home, and it's easy for one person to do on the fly.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:43 PM
homervet
Advanced

This is just an idea..I believe the TDR relay has to operate for the car to crank. It requires a OK signal from the BCM to operate and allow the starter to crank...Try buying a spare relay carefully remove the cover and insert it in its position..When the problem appears try and manually operating it..If you get the starter to crank that can narrow down your search..If the relay is already operated you can then look at the starter and its associated wiring and grounds.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:46 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like a flaky ignition switch to me-a known issue with the contacts getting burnt.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:50 PM
VetterGetIt
Drifting

i had this problem and it was the starter itself. replaced starter and no issues for almost a year now
Old 02-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

You can easily hear the TDR.... The dealer would have already check this... they would have checked the battery cables...and ignition switch...
one thing that jump out at me is the solenoid which uses a big washer as the contact point.. as time goes on the washer can get burnt and distorted and will not engage.. after it cools down it may or may not engage... the trick to this is when it doesnt start.. use a crow bar or something to tap on the solenoid.. you can reach it from the engine bay... this will dislodge the distorted washer and the started will engage. ...replacement is the fix...
Old 02-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Baghs
Intermediate

I have this same issue...short drives to corner store...come out and it wont start (75% of the time). Long drives not a problem. Replaced ignition switch and multifunction switch...still no change. I am starting to think starter. I keep thinking its got something to do with the securty system but I have no evidence to support this. It will start after I turn the key over about 20 times then presto. It's starting to happen more frequent.

Get notified of new replies

To Intermittent Starting Problem HELP!

Old 02-23-2010, 06:43 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Baghs
I have this same issue...short drives to corner store...come out and it wont start (75% of the time). Long drives not a problem. Replaced ignition switch and multifunction switch...still no change. I am starting to think starter. I keep thinking its got something to do with the securty system but I have no evidence to support this. It will start after I turn the key over about 20 times then presto. It's starting to happen more frequent.
If you just keep changing parts, you'll replace everything....and be good for another 11 years.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Did you try cleaning the key resistor (w/ alcohol) and check its resistance?
Old 02-24-2010, 03:24 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

exact same symptoms here a year ago. intermittent problems, no charging/battery issues, seems to happen less after longer drives. turned out to be a starter.

when you get a new one, put a heat shield/reflector between the starter and exhaust manifold, it's the heat that gets them.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Starting Problem HELP!