C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Lights intermittent problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 08:55 AM
majorpayne317641
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HID Lights intermittent problem

Hey guys,

I have a 97 C5, installed HID lights in with the ballasts etc. I want to know why when its cold, they sometimes are hard starts, for instance if I put my running lights on first and then turn the headlights on, they work on cold days, but if I flick the lights on without first going to running lights, sometimes one won't start and I need to retry starting.

When it is warm outside, they work fine, they start up right away.

Also, on the off side....

When I turn them off the headlights unpredictably remain open, some nights it never happens, some nights I need to try a couple of times to get them to go down. I understand that the motors rely on a que from the headlights going off to start the downward motion but I don't know how to alleiviate this problem given the lower load of the HIDs.

I got my kit from c5racer.com, so if anyone is familiar with these problems please let me know. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:31 PM
dougnstein
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed a similar kit on my 2003 C5. The kit I installed has the digital/slim ballast. I was confused when the headlight motors would not go down at all. The only wiring that changed was the headlight connection so I knew it was isolated here so to lower the headlights try switching on the high beams. My headlights immediately went down. Its kinda silly to have to do but it worked for me.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Your head light control module is CURRENT SENSING and uses the current draw from the motors to turn on and send the motor the correct polarity for UP-DOWN. The HID lights use less current so the module isnt see the current necessary for proper operation. I dont have HIDs but some people wire in wire wound resistores to simulate the correct current draw. Be careful if you do the resistor mod... They will get HOT.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
I dont have HIDs but some people wire in wire wound resistores to simulate the correct current draw. Be careful if you do the resistor mod... They will get HOT.
Option #1: Pickup a resistor setup from one of the vendors. JW Motoring carries them. @ $20 - $25

Option #2: Pickup a side marker light (non LED) and install it under the hood to come one when the headlights are on. Wire it in to the stock headlight wiring side of the ballast. NOT the high voltage side.

It adds enough of a load that the lights will close correctly. @ $4.00

I did #2 and the side marker light lays down by the brake duct and can't be seen.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:14 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Originally Posted by dougnstein
I just installed a similar kit on my 2003 C5. The kit I installed has the digital/slim ballast. I was confused when the headlight motors would not go down at all. The only wiring that changed was the headlight connection so I knew it was isolated here so to lower the headlights try switching on the high beams. My headlights immediately went down. Its kinda silly to have to do but it worked for me.
We have what you need http://www.shop.jwmotoring.com/produ...8&categoryId=4

Get notified of new replies

To HID Lights intermittent problem

Quick Reply: HID Lights intermittent problem