C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 HID Conversion, Low Beam.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 02:29 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Default C5 HID Conversion, Low Beam.

I wanted to share my HID experience converting my 2004 C5. I bought a 9006 Slim Digital 55 watt conversion from DDM Tuning in San Diego for $49.00. Other kits start at $29.00. It was a "fit everything" kit. I found that to make it work, I had to remove the plastic ridge in the hid connector so that I could reverse the plug from the car, then I'd have power from the stock plug go to power in the hid plug. Worked great. Also, my lights go up and down without an extra resister and I don't have to hit my high beams for them to work. I am really happy with the light these bulbs put out. I can now see at night big time! Installation of the bulbs were a little bit of a hassle, but not hard. Worth the effort. The high beams are now useless compared to the hid's. However, the low beams are now enough for my 53 year old eyes and my tinted windshield.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:03 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 847 Likes on 723 Posts

It's nice you have lights so you can see well.

Unfortunately, those low beams which work as well as high beams are now blinding everyone coming the other direction. I have yet to see a car with HID conversion that was not blinding as it came towards me, or even following me.

Peter

Last edited by lionelhutz; 01-11-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:14 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by vetten76
I wanted to share my HID experience converting my 2004 C5. I bought a 9006 Slim Digital 55 watt conversion from DDM Tuning in San Diego for $49.00. Other kits start at $29.00. It was a "fit everything" kit. I found that to make it work, I had to remove the plastic ridge in the hid connector so that I could reverse the plug from the car, then I'd have power from the stock plug go to power in the hid plug. Worked great. Also, my lights go up and down without an extra resister and I don't have to hit my high beams for them to work. I am really happy with the light these bulbs put out. I can now see at night big time! Installation of the bulbs were a little bit of a hassle, but not hard. Worth the effort. The high beams are now useless compared to the hid's. However, the low beams are now enough for my 53 year old eyes and my tinted windshield.
The correct way to address the wiring issue, was to swap the contacts(easily done by releasing the locks) in the connector. Now that you have removed the plastic ridge, as you call it, the connector no longer has a locking feature to keep it connected....and keep out debris and moisture.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:58 PM
c5mtl
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

when it comes to lights...ive spent my money on almost every option out there.....spent $1000 on custom stuff with fancy names and fancy projectors......they look nice but they cost a small fortune.......For 50$ you got the best upgrade possible....so what you get flashed a couple of times a week.....try lowering the drivers side headlight a little ....enjoy
Old 01-11-2010, 07:25 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Received 412 Likes on 215 Posts

Installed mine yesterday.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:12 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Actually, I simply used electrical tape to secure the connector together then zip tied the entire wiring harness to the hid ballets box wires. Worked great and won't come apart. I did try to switch the snap in clips but had absolutely no luck in taking them out. That's the way I would have liked to have done it. I have hid conversions in all my cars including my raised F-150 and I have yet to be flashed by another driver. My C3 is very bright and no one seams to care....
Old 01-11-2010, 10:13 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Oops. "ballast boxes".....
Old 01-12-2010, 12:02 AM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed mine about 2-1/2 months ago,and freed up the adjusters so I could adjust them to where they didn't blind people,but still lit up the road just fine.
Then I had my wife drive her car toward mine at night,to see if they were OK (HID glare annoys the hell out of her),and they passed the test.
She even said they look pretty cool with the hint of blue.

I did the relay mod so when I flip the high beams on,the lows stay on too,so I've still got the hi's if I need them.
Between the HID lows and the Silverstar Ultra highs,I've got plenty of light if I need it without blinding anyone.
Best money I've spent on the Vette so far.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:32 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Default Hi/low mod.

Originally Posted by Carcass
I installed mine about 2-1/2 months ago,and freed up the adjusters so I could adjust them to where they didn't blind people,but still lit up the road just fine.
Then I had my wife drive her car toward mine at night,to see if they were OK (HID glare annoys the hell out of her),and they passed the test.
She even said they look pretty cool with the hint of blue.

I did the relay mod so when I flip the high beams on,the lows stay on too,so I've still got the hi's if I need them.
Between the HID lows and the Silverstar Ultra highs,I've got plenty of light if I need it without blinding anyone.
Best money I've spent on the Vette so far.
Where can I find that mod? That sounds worth while!
Old 01-12-2010, 05:42 PM
scr110
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys I just installed mine but ran into a slight problem. My headlamps go up, but not down, and when i put the parking lamps on they also come up which they never did before. I checked every fuse and went over the wiring everything seems to be ok. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-12-2010, 05:46 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Sounds like you have 35 watt boxes. You need the in line resistor that's sold on this forum. $25.00. The seller says that it makes all the problems go away. Mine work without, but I have the 55 watt digital boxes. Not really sure if that is it, but my 04 lights function properly.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:51 PM
scr110
Intermediate

ok thanks.. do you have a link for that seller?
Old 01-12-2010, 05:53 PM
vetten76
Drifting

I don't, but search for "hid conversion kit". It's JDM Motoring or something like that.He has parts listed in the C5 parts for sale section.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:54 PM
scr110
Intermediate

ok thanks alot ill check it out
Old 01-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

To the OP -here's the link to the hi+lo beam mod,I did the single relay mod,since I don't need flash-to-pass:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...n-at-once.html

And it's JW Motoring for HID Kits-Jhonathan will hook you up!
Old 01-13-2010, 01:20 AM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by c5mtl
when it comes to lights...ive spent my money on almost every option out there.....spent $1000 on custom stuff with fancy names and fancy projectors......they look nice but they cost a small fortune.......For 50$ you got the best upgrade possible....so what you get flashed a couple of times a week.....try lowering the drivers side headlight a little ....enjoy
I understand your financial point but...

a.) Lowering the drivers side doesn't help. The driver side should already be turned inwards if it was aligned correctly. HID bulbs require a sharp cut-off edge inside the housing to aim it properly.

b.) Do you really think it's all that brilliant to blind someone driving towards you?
Old 01-13-2010, 11:37 AM
vetten76
Drifting

I think your making way too much of the brights. I have them, hid's, on all my cars and NO ONE has ever flashed me to tell me the brights are on. My Ford has a 6 inch lift with 35 inch tires. The headlights are in the stock position as far as aiming goes. No problems..... ever. I drove my C5 last night to my club meeting and again, no one flashed me. I think that if they were dangerous or obnoxious, someone would let me know. You sound like your from California where if it's fun or makes sense, it's illegal!

Get notified of new replies

To C5 HID Conversion, Low Beam.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:14 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 847 Likes on 723 Posts

when it comes to lights...ive spent my money on almost every option out there.....spent $1000 on custom stuff with fancy names and fancy projectors......they look nice but they cost a small fortune.......For 50$ you got the best upgrade possible....
I tried HID = crap and I got flashed every time I drove it at night at least once. So, I purchased some Euro headlights and put 90W/100W bulbs and relays into it. The light is way better and I NEVER get flashed. Cost was higher but it's a way better upgrade. The Euro's came with HID's too but they were terrible.

so what you get flashed a couple of times a week.....
Nice and typical these days - screw everyone else on the road as long as I can see where I'm going. I bet you drive slow in the fast lane too

Peter
Old 08-12-2010, 02:06 AM
Black02LS1
Instructor

Did you have an issue getting the HID's to lock into the headlight? I just got DDM's 55w HID low beams and for the life of me, I cannot get the bulbs to lock into the headlight. The three prongs on the bulb look similar to the factory bulb, but they are not exactly the same.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get them to lock into place?
Old 08-12-2010, 02:34 AM
vetten76
Drifting

Did you take the headlights apart? I finally had to do that to get the bulbs to screw in myself. I just couldn't get them lined up properly. You have to see the rear of the housing to get them in. Pain, but take the darn things apart.

Originally Posted by Black02LS1
Did you have an issue getting the HID's to lock into the headlight? I just got DDM's 55w HID low beams and for the life of me, I cannot get the bulbs to lock into the headlight. The three prongs on the bulb look similar to the factory bulb, but they are not exactly the same.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get them to lock into place?

Quick Reply: C5 HID Conversion, Low Beam.