C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Bolt On Performance for 03 C5???

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 04:02 PM
ChevyServiceJoe
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Bolt On Performance for 03 C5???

Hey guys how are you doing? Thank you for taking the time and reading this post, I am a service advisor at Chevy in upstate NY and I have a customer who is interested in finally doing a little work on his 50th Anniversary C5. He has babied this thing and he is looking for a little more power as he occasionally brings his car to the autocross track. At the moment I am looking for a C5 Z06 Ti exhaust for him but I was wondering what else you guys recommend as bolt ons. Obviously bang for the buck is top priority and I know he is not looking to do anything too crazy to it because he half considers this car an investment. Basically he wants it to have some *****, that's all. Any help would be appreciated! Also if anyone in the Upstate NY area needs a Vette friendly advisor feel free to contact me.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:11 PM
Anthraxmm
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Longtube headers and a cold air intake. I have a set of lg headers and a vararam intake. Also an ls6 intake, car puts 355rwhp. It will need a tune though.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:13 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by ChevyServiceJoe
Hey guys how are you doing? Thank you for taking the time and reading this post, I am a service advisor at Chevy in upstate NY and I have a customer who is interested in finally doing a little work on his 50th Anniversary C5. He has babied this thing and he is looking for a little more power as he occasionally brings his car to the autocross track. At the moment I am looking for a C5 Z06 Ti exhaust for him but I was wondering what else you guys recommend as bolt ons. Obviously bang for the buck is top priority and I know he is not looking to do anything too crazy to it because he half considers this car an investment. Basically he wants it to have some *****, that's all. Any help would be appreciated! Also if anyone in the Upstate NY area needs a Vette friendly advisor feel free to contact me.
Long Tube headers, Cold Air intake and a tune make the car feel completely different.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:15 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by Anthraxmm
Longtube headers and a cold air intake. I have a set of lg headers and a vararam intake.
Originally Posted by chaase
Long Tube headers, Cold Air intake and a tune make the car feel completely different.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:36 PM
ChevyServiceJoe
6th Gear

Very good guys! Thank you for your help I will be sure to pass on the information. I know he was planning on getting a tune but I'm trying to convince him to hold off for a little bit until he does some bolt ons. He is under the impression that he will gain lots of power with solely a tune and no bolt ons... By the way what do these vehicles put down as far a stock WHP? Also his car is an automatic and he has a complaint where the car is upshifting from 3rd to 4th during autocross when it really needs to stay in 3rd.. Is there anyway a module reflash will be able to help this issue?
Old 06-19-2014, 06:01 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Here's a link to that exhaust he wants
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...i-exhaust.html
Old 06-19-2014, 06:45 PM
chaase
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Very good guys! Thank you for your help I will be sure to pass on the information. I know he was planning on getting a tune but I'm trying to convince him to hold off for a little bit until he does some bolt ons. He is under the impression that he will gain lots of power with solely a tune and no bolt ons... By the way what do these vehicles put down as far a stock WHP? Also his car is an automatic and he has a complaint where the car is upshifting from 3rd to 4th during autocross when it really needs to stay in 3rd.. Is there anyway a module reflash will be able to help this issue?
Appx 300rwhp for an auto. If the car is up shifting from 3rd to 4th, tell him to run in third. There is no real reason he would need 4th for an auto cross. An automatic does benefit from a tune. You get faster/firmer shifts but it is a waste if he has near term modification plans.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:48 AM
ChevyServiceJoe
6th Gear

Appx 300rwhp for an auto. If the car is up shifting from 3rd to 4th, tell him to run in third. There is no real reason he would need 4th for an auto cross. An automatic does benefit from a tune. You get faster/firmer shifts but it is a waste if he has near term modification plans.
Ok very good I will certainly suggest him to do that. I would really like to see him be at 340 WHP, I think that would be good for what he was looking for. Hopefully I/H/E and a tune will get him what he's looking for. Someone said to put a LS6 plenum on it.. Is this simply a bolt on or is any modification needed? Also what is the power difference between a C5 with I/H/E + tune versus a C5 with I/H/E/LS6 plenum + tune? Again sorry for being such a n00b but Corvettes really aren't my forte but hopefully one day I will own a C7
Old 06-20-2014, 09:30 AM
chaase
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Ok very good I will certainly suggest him to do that. I would really like to see him be at 340 WHP, I think that would be good for what he was looking for. Hopefully I/H/E and a tune will get him what he's looking for. Someone said to put a LS6 plenum on it.. Is this simply a bolt on or is any modification needed? Also what is the power difference between a C5 with I/H/E + tune versus a C5 with I/H/E/LS6 plenum + tune? Again sorry for being such a n00b but Corvettes really aren't my forte but hopefully one day I will own a C7
If you are referring to the intake manifold, his 2003 already has one on it. I think the changeover was in 2001.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:43 AM
ChevyServiceJoe
6th Gear

If you are referring to the intake manifold, his 2003 already has one on it. I think the changeover was in 2001.
Ok very good see I told you I was a n00b to all of this lol. Thanks for the info
Old 06-20-2014, 09:53 AM
reactor2
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

A lot of misguidance going on here. .
I have everything: heads, cam, intake, exhaust, high stall, rear end, NOS, supercharger, etc. You will barely notice a difference from headers and CAI, or any other simple bolt on like that. Heads, cam, and exhaust, you will notice but that's a fair amount of work, expensive, and the payoff isn't really that great. Nitrous can be a little tricky to set up, and isn't that cheap to set up correctly. I recommend a supercharger kit. That will give your client as little or as much power as he wants. The A&A or ECS kit is better than the Procharger kit, but the Procharger kit definitely looks OEM.
A supercharger kit is what your client will really be happy with, trust me, I've done it all.

The stock A4 vette puts down 265-280ish rwhp, I seriously doubt CAI, Headers, and exhaust will get him to 350 rwhp on an automatic car. Maybe with a good tune it will.
A supercharger definitely will...and far beyond that if he wants.

Last edited by reactor2; 06-20-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:11 AM
chaase
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by reactor2
The stock A4 vette puts down 265-280ish rwhp, I seriously doubt CAI, Headers, and exhaust will get him to 350 rwhp on an automatic car. Maybe with a good tune it will.
290-310rwhp is the generally accepted range for rwhp readings on a dynojet. Mine came in a 300rwhp with another 20rwhp gain from an air intake and a tune. This bumped me to 320rwhp. There are numerous posts of people coming in at that range. The only way you are going to be as low as you say is maybe on Mustang dyno or a poor running 1997. I don't see a 2003 coming in that low.

A supercharger is a great value for the dollar but it is expensive.

Last edited by chaase; 06-20-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:15 AM
reactor2
Drifting

290-310rwhp is the generally accepted range for rwhp readings on a dynojet. Mine came in a 300rwhp with a 20rwhp gain from an air intake and a tune, which put me at 320rwhp. There are numerous posts of people coming in at that range. The only way you are going to be that low is maybe on Mustang dyno.

A supercharger is a great value for the dollar but it is expensive.
Do you have an auto or manual? My A4 made 280 stock It may have been a mustang dyno though. I also have a 98.

Last edited by reactor2; 06-20-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:18 AM
chaase
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Do you have an auto or manual? My A4 made 280 stock It may have been a mustang dyno though.
Mine is an automatic and my numbers are not uncommon. There have been tons of people reporting similar numbers to mine. The early A4 C5s came in around 290rwhp since they didn't have as much hp as the later model cars.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:25 AM
reactor2
Drifting

Yep, just looked at it. Mine was on a Mustang dyno. Scratch what I said. 290-300 stock for the A4.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:00 AM
ChevyServiceJoe
6th Gear

Ok good stuff. So now that we cleared all of that up, would it be safe to assume that my customer's vehicle with I/H/E and a tune would see anywhere from 335-350 WHP? I don't want to recommend anything unnecessary but as it is with any car letting it breathe a little better and adjusting fuel and timing will wake them up which is exactly what he is looking for.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:06 AM
chaase
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Ok good stuff. So now that we cleared all of that up, would it be safe to assume that my customer's vehicle with I/H/E and a tune would see anywhere from 335-350 WHP? I don't want to recommend anything unnecessary but as it is with any car letting it breathe a little better and adjusting fuel and timing will wake them up which is exactly what he is looking for.
I would expect around 35rwhp for intake, headers, exhaust and tune you would be in that ballpark and all of those mods complement future modifications.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Bolt On Performance for 03 C5???

Old 06-20-2014, 11:31 AM
ChevyServiceJoe
6th Gear

Awesome! Thank you for the help I really appreciate it guys. On an unrelated note, another customer came in with his 2014 supercharged C7 making 657 WHP and offered me a ride, which I certainly took. What a beast.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:06 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

A lot of misguidance going on here. .
I have everything: heads, cam, intake, exhaust, high stall, rear end, NOS, supercharger, etc. You will barely notice a difference from headers and CAI, or any other simple bolt on like that. Heads, cam, and exhaust, you will notice but that's a fair amount of work, expensive, and the payoff isn't really that great. Nitrous can be a little tricky to set up, and isn't that cheap to set up correctly. I recommend a supercharger kit. That will give your client as little or as much power as he wants. The A&A or ECS kit is better than the Procharger kit, but the Procharger kit definitely looks OEM.
A supercharger kit is what your client will really be happy with, trust me, I've done it all.

Truth right here. I did the Bolton stuff pretty much waste of money for what 30hp maybe 40 HP? It sounds louder so people think they gained a **** load of HP. A stock auto c5 is dog slow slap a blower and be happy skip. Skip the BS and get some real power
Old 06-21-2014, 07:45 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Gears, because I don't think he is going to want to make huge irreversible changes to the car based on your description.

Last edited by vettenuts; 06-21-2014 at 06:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Best Bolt On Performance for 03 C5???