C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hib Halverson on Oil changes and filters

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 10:40 AM
Steve02C5
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hib Halverson on Oil changes and filters

Oil and Filter Changes

The 5.66-liter, LS1 V8 engine used in C5s was an all-new design for 1997. Other than connecting rod bearings and hydraulic lifters, the "Generation III V8" shares nothing with the Small-Block V8 used from 1955 to 1996. In spite of that, changing the LS1's oil is not much different than changing the oil in Corvette engines has been for 43 years.

Jack the car up and support it such that the rear end is just a bit higher than the front. You can do this by setting the rear jack stands one hole or notch higher than the fronts. If you are changing oil while the engine is still hot, consider wearing Mechanix Gloves.

The LS1's drain plug is at the front of the "bat wing" section of its oil pan. The pan holds six quarts so make sure your drain pan holds two gallons. Remove the plug and allow the oil to drain for 7-10 minutes. Once the oil is drained, wipe the drain plug and its sealing surface on the pan with a clean rag, replace the drain plug and tighten it to 18 ft/lb.

The oil filter is an ACDelco PF44. It's of the general design used on Corvette engines since 1968, a cartridge-type, "spin-on" unit. The filter is partially recessed into the oil pan casting. Removal is easier with an oil filter wrench. The best choice is a cap-type unit, such as the ACDelco (p/n OF17W). A strap-type wrench with a swivel handle will also work. Installing a PF44 requires no new skills. Wipe the gasket surface on the engine with a clean rag. Fill the new filter with your engine oil of choice, smear some of that oil on the gasket, screw the filter onto the block, then tighten it 3/4 to 1 turn after the gasket contacts the filter mount.

Open the hood, remove the oil cap, add six quarts of new oil and replace the cap. Set the emergency brake, start the engine, run it for about three minutes then shut it off. Crawl back underneath and inspect the filter and the drain plug area for leaks. Wait three minutes then check the oil. If necessary, add additional oil to bring the level in the crankcase up to the "full" mark on the dip stick. Get the car back on the ground and you're done.

How often should you change the oil in your C5?

First, ignore the "quick stop" lube and oil service industry's irresponsible marketing of 3000 mile oil changes. For any Corvette driven in a normal duty cycle, even one that sees occasional drag racing or autocross, changing the oil every 3000 miles is a waste of time and money. Modern oils, especially the synthetic in the LS1, are far more durable than the 3000 miles the Jiffy Lube folks want us to believe. If the car is operated normally, (and that means with aggressive driving at times) and you use a synthetic oil meeting the American Petroleum Institute Service SJ standard, the best thing to do is observe the GM's oil change interval.

Since 1990, Corvettes have been equipped with a computer device called an "engine oil life monitor" that records, since its last reset, number of engine starts, number of engine revolutions, coolant and oil temperatures and some other data. It can display on the IPC oil life remaining and will turn on the "change oil" light when the its programming determines the oil life has been depleted. When that light comes on, GM wants you to change the oil and filter. This will usually occur sometime between 3000 and 10,000 miles since the last oil change, if the monitor was reset at that time. In cases of severe duty, it may come on before 3000 miles. It will never come on at more than the maximum oil change interval allowed by GM for the LS1 engine: 10,000 miles.

Wondering about the longer change interval? GM Powertrain Division has decided that the durability of synthetic oils, the LS1's lower oil and coolant temperatures, its increased oil capacity and significant testing made extending the maximum oil change interval from 7500 to 10,000 miles acceptable. Our own experience with Red Line Synthetic oil and extended drain intervals show, clearly, the LS1's 10,000 mile change interval is prudent and, perhaps, even conservative. What may not be prudent is the oil filter change interval.

The PF44 uses the excellent, "Duraguardª" synthetic filter media but is of rather small capacity. The technical staff at Vette suggests, while you observe an oil change interval of 10,000 miles, you change your oil filter at least every 5000 miles and preferably (since filters are cheap insurance) every 2500, regardless of when you change the oil in the crankcase. Several times a year ACDelco runs promotions with mass-marketers that have filter prices really cheap. Wait until then and stock up.

The C5's oil life monitor cannot analyze the oil. It makes an "educated guess" at its condition by measuring trends in engine operation, thus, it can not detect dust in the oil. If you drive your Corvette on a regular basis in dusty areas, change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. The oil life monitor also cannot read the calendar. If your C5 has gone 12-months but less than 10,000 miles since its last oil change and the change oil light has not come on, change the oil and filter and reset the monitor. Information on how to display oil life remaining and resetting the monitor is in the Service Manual.

Old 03-04-2002, 11:06 AM
Mark S.
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Hib Halverson on Oil changes and filters (Steve02C5)

Steve, one more thing. I sent Hib an email several months ago (concerning the big debate on what the refill of oil should be and he replied that the re-fill capacity remains 6.5 qts (with filter change) despite numerous '01 and '02 owners (LS1/LS6 engines) reporting that 7.0 qts was the correct refill. The only change for the '01 and now '02 was a change in the dipstick and location of the dipstick tube. Unfortunately, the dipstick will read only halfway between ADD and MAX when refilling with 6.5 qts.

[Modified by Mark S., 9:07 AM 3/4/2002]
Old 03-04-2002, 12:29 PM
2ndVette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO this is crock. Changing ones oil is cheap insurance and to blame the jiffy lube guys for irresponsible marketing is off target. If it weren't for them, some folks would NEVER change their oil!!! Regardless of the qualities of synthetic oil in today's engines, don't you think it wise to inspect oil on regular intervals for metal shavings, and other contaminants from dusty conditions, early warning signs of engine problems such as water, etc would be nice to be found early rather than waiting on your DIC to tell you to crawl under your Vette?

And, until GM steps up to the plate and offers a warranty beyond their "suggested" 2 oil change timeframes, I'll just keep wastin' my money on frequent oil changes...

[Modified by 2ndVette, 8:36 AM 3/4/2002]
Old 03-04-2002, 02:21 PM
Scruffy
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Hib Halverson on Oil changes and filters (Mark S.)

[QUOTE]Steve, one more thing. I sent Hib an email several months ago (concerning the big debate on what the refill of oil should be and he replied that the re-fill capacity remains 6.5 qts (with filter change) despite numerous '01 and '02 owners (LS1/LS6 engines) reporting that 7.0 qts was the correct refill. The only change for the '01 and now '02 was a change in the dipstick and location of the dipstick tube. Unfortunately, the dipstick will read only halfway between ADD and MAX when refilling with 6.5 qts. (QUOTE)

Mark, Thanks for the extra info. The dipstick and 6.5 vs. 7 qts. has been driving me nuts. :cheers:
Old 03-04-2002, 02:29 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Re: Hib Halverson on Oil changes and filters (Mark S.)

Steve, one more thing. I sent Hib an email several months ago (concerning the big debate on what the refill of oil should be and he replied that the re-fill capacity remains 6.5 qts (with filter change) despite numerous '01 and '02 owners (LS1/LS6 engines) reporting that 7.0 qts was the correct refill. The only change for the '01 and now '02 was a change in the dipstick and location of the dipstick tube. Unfortunately, the dipstick will read only halfway between ADD and MAX when refilling with 6.5 qts.

[Modified by Mark S., 9:07 AM 3/4/2002]
Being a new C5 owner, I have not watched a lot of the C5 threads of yesteryear. Has anyone posed this question to Dave Hill, i.e., what is the best time to check the oil and should it read 1/2 way when cold?
Old 03-04-2002, 06:46 PM
Al '92
Drifting

Oil and Filter Changes

The PF44 uses the excellent, "Duraguardª" synthetic filter media but is of rather small capacity. The technical staff at Vette suggests, while you observe an oil change interval of 10,000 miles, you change your oil filter at least every 5000 miles and preferably (since filters are cheap insurance) every 2500, regardless of when you change the oil in the crankcase. Several times a year ACDelco runs promotions with mass-marketers that have filter prices really cheap. Wait until then and stock up.
????? :confused: ??????
So, you change your filter every 2500 or 5000 miles but not the oil? So what are we supposed to do, drain it into a pan and then reuse it? Sounds like a pain to me, might as well just put in fresh oil if you are going to the trouble of changing the filter.
Old 03-04-2002, 07:24 PM
SILVER~C5
Instructor

Default Re: Hib Halverson on Oil changes and filters (Al '92)

Al92 you can change the oil filter w/o loosing any oil. Unless you take the filter off w/engine running :lol: Just change the filter and add 1/2 a quart .
Old 03-04-2002, 08:50 PM
LANJET
Racer

Default Re: Hib Halverson on Oil changes and filters (SILVER~C5)

Hib or anyone else- I know hib has done extensive testing with Redline and recommends it. I have had good luck with Amsoil under extreme conditions in the past- How does Amsoil compare to Redline???????
Thanks

LPE TT650
Old 03-04-2002, 09:12 PM
Fish-man
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Hib Halverson on Oil changes and filters (LANJET)

What about time in storage?
I start mine every 2 weeks, but plan on leaving it in storage for up to 6 months at a time. Will the synthetic break-down by just sitting in the engine? (like they say "natural" oil does)

I put 600miles on my new '02 Z before winter hit, and was planning on changing it before summer begins....
Old 03-04-2002, 09:17 PM
LT1GMC
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My '01 Z06 came from the factory with the oil level at the FULL mark. When I did the first change, it took an even 7 quarts to get it to the same place that it was when it was built. Good enoough for the factory, good enough for me: 7 quarts it is in my book!!!
Old 03-04-2002, 09:23 PM
2000^C5
Race Director

Default Re: Hib Halverson on Oil changes and filters (LT1GMC)

Intresting...

Get notified of new replies

To Hib Halverson on Oil changes and filters

Quick Reply: Hib Halverson on Oil changes and filters