C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the best oil filter to use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 01:51 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Re: What's the best oil filter to use? (Mag Red Mark)

Question from a "newbie"
How do pf44 and upf44 differ ??
I just bought a pf44 from my dealer and he had no idea what I was
talking about.......

Thanks,
Mark :p:
UPF-44 has a synthetic media with better single pass and multi-pass filtering capability then the standard filter. It also has a lower pressure drop across the media allowing less bypass during cold starts and high volume oil movement.
Old 03-04-2002, 11:18 PM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

Default Re: What's the best oil filter to use? (tshac)

Does the SDF-64 hang below the engine?
Did you change you rear end lube with amsoil?
Did you need to add the additive also?
Old 03-04-2002, 11:20 PM
valleygrandsportc6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What's the best oil filter to use? (mrgto)

I have been using the K&N's.
Old 03-04-2002, 11:55 PM
97silverbullet
Racer

Default Re: What's the best oil filter to use? (valleyvettec5)

PF44 has been working fine for me. Nothing like genuine AC Delco parts. :chevy
Old 03-05-2002, 02:04 AM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: What's the best oil filter to use? (Operations)

Here are some pics and tips on changing your rear end fluid and gearbox fluid:
http://www.picturetrail.com/gmblack3/647207

Click on the last pic of the GM additive and it will tell you what Amsoil and redline say about the GM additive or read it below.

I wanted to use redline in my gearbox but I could not get any that w/e. I went with Amsoil in my gearbox. The shifting is only slightly better at best. Next time I will go with redline in the gearbox.

I also got some Amsoil series 2000 gear lube. I was going to put it in but found a leak on the diff. I got it fixed at the dealer it was the shaft seal. 11,500 miles on the car. I'll put it in sooner or later.

Amsoil and Redline claim that there fluids already have an additive in them. Amsoil says it both ways on there website:

AMSOIL gear oils are formulated with friction modifiers for limited slip differential applications. There is no need to add limited slip or additional additives.

AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube provides limited slip performance. Although generally not necessary, original equipment manufacturers' limited slip additives may be used in conjunction with AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube.

Redline says:

LIMITED-SLIP COMPATIBILITY Red Line Gear Oils, with the exception of the 75W90NS, already contain friction modifier required for operation in limited-slip differentials. Additional additive is not required.

I have emailed Redline and asked them if it would not hurt to add the GM additive to Redline.

Here is the reply from redline:

The 75W90 would be suitable for the limited slip in your Z06 it contains 5% friction modifier, typically what is needed to reduce the chatter from the limited slip when making a slow tight turn. Adding more friction modifier if it isn't needed reduces the lock up of the limited slip and reduces it's effectiveness, so I wouldn't add it unless it is needed due to chatter and then only just what is needed. The friction modifier isn't a lubricant but just an additive to make the fluid slipperier for chatter control. The 75W90 should be suitable right out of the bottle without the need for the additive. Thank you for your interest in Red Line Oil.

It states in the GM manual that no WOT for 300 miles after the diff fluid is changed.

Does the SDF-64 hang below the engine?
Did you change you rear end lube with amsoil?
Did you need to add the additive also?
Old 03-05-2002, 07:08 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Default Re: What's the best oil filter to use? (gmblack3)

I put the Amsoil ATF in my transmission and found it shifted much smoother. Interesting you didn't find the same.

As far as additive, I don't think the GM additive and Redline oil are compatible as the base is different in Redline. Redline does make their own additive that you can add to the "NS" oil if you need less then the standard 5% mixture. Some have found this to be a little too slippery. You can also adjust by mixing 75-90 and 75-90NS to adjust the percentage of additive.

I would have thought Amsoil would be similar as they use the same base oil as Redline. I ran Redline in my 90 front to rear. I am running Amsoil in my 02 front to rear.
Old 03-05-2002, 12:04 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Default Re: What's the best oil filter to use? (vettenuts)

How many quarts did it take you to fill the gearbox? I got 3.25 out and it took the same to get it full. I think it holds 4 qts. This was on a level fill and drain.
Old 03-05-2002, 12:56 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Default Re: What's the best oil filter to use? (gmblack3)

Initially it took about 3.5 but I wasn't sure it was level, so being the **** perfestionist that I am, I put the car up again and used a carpenters level on the frame at several places then rechecked. Ended up putting in another .25 quarts. Next time, I will tilt the front higher for the drain, then level to fill.

The other thing I did with my miti-vac, was after the tranny had drained, I put a 90 degree elbow on the end of a hose and went in the drain hole and sucked out what I could. That was black, and only after about 700 miles. Magnetic drain plug will go in next time.
Old 03-05-2002, 07:56 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Default Re: What's the best oil filter to use? (vettenuts)

I should of did the front high drain to get all of the fluid out of the gearbox. I'll do that next time. I have a small pump setup that I could use to make sure that I get all of the fluid possible out of the gearbox. Would it work on the Diff as well?
Old 03-05-2002, 08:09 PM
SoCal C5
Drifting

Default Re: What's the best oil filter to use? (nmbis2k)

Question is --- where to buy the AC/Delco. My local distributor does not carry it!?!
Fichtner Chevrolet sells them. They were responsible for the e-mail campaign that got GM to continue producing the UPF-44 after they said they would be discontinued.

See my sig for a link to their web site or check out Bob's parts news letter in the Ken's news letter section http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=243106

Quick Reply: What's the best oil filter to use?