C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T56 Transmission - Mobil 1 ATF Compatibility Response from Tremec

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 04:01 AM
dieseldave56
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Who is Rob Sheppard?

Originally Posted by Bowtie_Brigade
Due to the controversy surrounding synthetics and the T56, I contacted Tremec/TTC Automotive. My question and Rob Sheppard's response:

I'm hoping you can provide a definitive response for an on-going debate on which type of fluids are acceptable in older T56 transmissions. I have a 2000 Chevrolet Corvette with 13k miles. I would like to switch to Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. There's a continued controversy over synthetic fluids and the possible effects on "paper" blocking rings. One website quotes a Tremec T56 expert as pre-1997 model T56s should not use synthetics. Are there certain years synthetic AFT should not be used? As Mobil 1 meets Dexron III specificiations, is it acceptable? I'd like to share your response to the "corvetteforum.com" community. Thanks for your help in clarifying this long, on-going issue.

Rob's response:

Hello Steven,

We have tested Mobile 1 and it will not harm the blocker rings weather they are paper or carbon. Mobile 1 is an approved fluid for your application. Please contact us if you require further assistance.

Regards,

Rob

Thanks Rob for going on record.
Hello Steven; who is Rob Sheppard?
Old 08-03-2010, 09:57 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have recently gone through the same issue with my early 99 with BW MN6. Two calls to Tremec got the same answer from both Rob and Dale. Rob also added that Mobil 1 was best to reduce any gear whining.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:47 AM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

you will find countless stories of shifting problems when using synthetic atf on pre 2001 t56 transmissions. the only synthetic atf you can use is amsoil atf or atd. it contains an additive that counteracts the swelling effect of synthetic fluid.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:49 AM
A Marsh
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I would hope that someone in a position to put out "official" technical information would spell better, including the actual product name.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:26 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SaberD
you will find countless stories of shifting problems when using synthetic atf on pre 2001 t56 transmissions. the only synthetic atf you can use is amsoil atf or atd. it contains an additive that counteracts the swelling effect of synthetic fluid.
The whining sound that I have been experiencing when up shifting around 3000 RPM started when I installed Amsoil synthetic ATF.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:10 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by flynhi
I have recently gone through the same issue with my early 99 with BW MN6. Two calls to Tremec got the same answer from both Rob and Dale. Rob also added that Mobil 1 was best to reduce any gear whining.
have you had your 99 T56 rebuilt? check the blocker rings and rebuild them ?

Drain the fluid and check for metal parts or shavings and refill.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:37 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
have you had your 99 T56 rebuilt? check the blocker rings and rebuild them ?

Drain the fluid and check for metal parts or shavings and refill.
The MN6 was rebuilt by the orignal owner in 02. The trans has about 40k miles since then. The fluid used was either Mobil 1 or Royal Purple (cannot tell from the receipts that came with the car). When we drained the Amsoil, we took a sample and sent it off for analysis. I'll post results when the analysis comes back.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:25 PM
WB6HRO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I switched to Redline ATF in the transmission after multiple "Trans Overtemp" at the the track. The Redline synthetic reduces the friction and lowers the trans temp vs. Dino oil.

My 02 Z06 has 50,000 miles on it and 25% of that is track time. No issues.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:41 PM
marinehacker202
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So there is no straight answer as to what is best. Sounds like the GM fluid is the safest choice

Quick Reply: T56 Transmission - Mobil 1 ATF Compatibility Response from Tremec