C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve stem leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

BYRONHUNTER

WOW!! I was thinking the EXACT SAME THING! Thats scary!

You can also try to program that sensor after the car has been driven for a long distance and the tire is warm.

Like Byron stated, the battery in the sensor will have more potential when its warm and that may be all it takes to allow it to program.

Bill
Old 11-25-2009, 08:15 AM
skydive120
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet-- sounds like a good idea to me, will take a heat gun to it and try again this weekend!
Thanks for the tip, will let you know if it works.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by byronhunter
Heat the area of the rim around the valvestem good and hot with a hairdryer, and see if it will reprogram.
All that will do is confirm that the sensor battery is weak. Next Spring, after sitting all Winter, the sensor will most likely be dead again.

We're in late November, and skydive120 lives in Illinois. What's the point of coaxing a 10 year old TPMS sensor to temporarily work?
Old 11-25-2009, 01:56 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksilver Vert 01
All that will do is confirm that the sensor battery is weak. Next Spring, after sitting all Winter, the sensor will most likely be dead again.

We're in late November, and skydive120 lives in Illinois. What's the point of coaxing a 10 year old TPMS sensor to temporarily work?
That is very true, but if it's just the reed swith that the magnet activates being stiff, it might work as long as the other three. The last one I did that way has already gone through one winter and is still working. Good luck either way, and no money spent if it dosen't work.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:51 PM
skydive120
Racer

Its worth a shot, like you said it does not cost anything! Besides plan on driving the car all winter, except on the snow days of course! Only make that mistake one time!
Old 11-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by byronhunter
That is very true, but if it's just the reed swith that the magnet activates being stiff, it might work as long as the other three. The last one I did that way has already gone through one winter and is still working. Good luck either way, and no money spent if it dosen't work.

I guess it's worth a try.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Nick1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have messed with them considerably. You can get decent results by loosening them and using various sealing agents, or even silicon spray to help the situation. Then tightening them securely. Also, you should check the tightness every couple of months without overtightening them. Snugging them down is good enough.
Others' suggestions above are good ones however. Time to replace with new!
Old 11-25-2009, 09:35 PM
skydive120
Racer

Will do a battery change in all of them myself when it comes time for new tires next year, have really soft ones on there now= pole positions.
Why buy new TMPS when you can change the batteries-- not a rich vette owner.
As for the leak-- Will just let it leak-- been a month and went from 38 to 32-- dont think its worth worrying about at this time.
Tried to snug it up a bit but no change.
Plan on getting batteries soon.
losten it up and put some silicone in there may solve it all though-- but the TPMS is a different deal getting it to work.

Thanks for all the info-- love this forum!

Chris
Old 11-25-2009, 09:43 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Quicksilver Vert 01

I guess it's worth a try.
Sometimes saving a buck to get you thru until times are less tight makes thing better. I always "TRY" to give the person that I help the option to save a buck if thats whats needed to get by. Trying the simple things to get by or to extend the repair to a time when it more conveinment sometimes helps out a lot. Sometimes it just to OUT SMART the system and make something work that GM says cant be repaired!

I have a 2002 BMW K1200RS Motor Cycle. Right now the battery is on it's last leg. If it sets more than 3 days without being run,,it wont start. Its 25 November and I live in CT. I live 6 miles from work. There are not that many more biking to work days left. To save a buck and PUSH the bike the few more weeks I have left to ride, I look ahead and throw a charge on the battery the day before I plan on riding it to work.

Yea,,my wife and I both work and dropping the cash for a new battery now for the bike isnt an issue. I just cant see getting a new battery now and driving it for 2-3 more weeks and letting the new battery sit the rest of the winter. That just isnt right. In April I will get a new Gell Battery From Digikey and enjoy the ride for 4 more years. For now,,, Ill just,,,CHARGE IT!

BC

Quick Reply: Valve stem leak