C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 Tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 01:52 AM
Blackjetvette97
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A4 Tranny fluid

Hi All,
I would like to change my tranny fluid and would like recommendations, please. It is a stock A4(70K miles). Should I also change the diffy fluid at same time too? Thanks

Steve
Old 10-14-2009, 11:31 AM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unfortunatly you can't "change" your trani fluid yourself - to get all the old fluid out the trani needs to be flushed by a machine either at a dealer or trani shop.That being said, 70K on the old fluid is enough and you should select any quality name brand fluid. I use Royal Purple but any synthetic name brand will work just as well. You might want to consider changing the trani filter at the same time.
If the car is up in the air changing out the rear end fluid is no big deal. Again , I'm useing Royal Purple but you can do a search on either fluid to see what other members recommend.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:43 AM
vettezeke
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A4 transmission fluid

I have been using Dexron VI . It is supposed to be a longer lasting fluid than Dexron III and is compatible with vehicles using Dexron III . according to what I have read.

Havoline® Automatic Transmission Fluid DEXRON®-VI
Havoline Automatic Transmission Fluid DEXRON®-VI delivers value through:

Warranty coverage as an officially approved General Motors fluid
Improved durability of viscosity and frictional properties to ensure smooth operation in General Motors transmissions
Extended drain intervals of at least 100,000 miles under normal operating conditions
Back serviceability to cover all earlier DEXRON recommendations

Mobil Dexron-VI ATF provides warranty protection for 2006 and newer GM vehicles. It is also for improved performance in 2005 and earlier GM vehicles, wherever DEXRON is specified

When compared with earlier automatic transmission fluids, DEXRON-VI offers these improvements and benefits:

From GM
- enhanced performance of both new and older transmissions
- longer ATF life (160,000 km/100,000 miles normal, or 80,000 km/50,000 miles severe). It is important to refer to the owner manual because certain vehicles recommend a normal service drain interval of 150,000 miles (240,000 km).
- consistent shift quality throughout the life of the transmission
- extended transmission life.

http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2...dexron-vi.html

Last edited by vettezeke; 10-15-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:47 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by vettezeke
I have been using Dexron VI . It is supposed to be a longer lasting fluid than Dexron III and is compatible with vehicles using Dexron III . according to what I have read.
I thought the bottle says not to use on DEXIII transmissions? I heard some of the seals arent compatable. I might be wrong but I'd double check.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:50 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackjetvette97
Hi All,
I would like to change my tranny fluid and would like recommendations, please. It is a stock A4(70K miles). Should I also change the diffy fluid at same time too? Thanks

Steve
DEXIII/MERC works really well for me. I use the Castrol stuff. At the same time I change the fluid and filter annually since I sometimes race the car. It cheap and easy to do yourelf and also this keeps new fluid in the trans at all times since a year isnt much driving. I just do it to be safe, thats just me. I do the diff fluid about every 18months. It usually still looks good. Just dont forget the additive.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Blackjetvette97
Drifting

Hi all,
Thanks for the replies, guys. I would like to know brand names and specific names of the fluid types(that will be on the bottles) so when I go to buy it, I won't screw up. Also, where can I get the required filter and other stuff needed to completely change out the fluid/filter(seals, if any)? Gonna have a tranny shop do the work. Thanks

Steve
Old 10-25-2009, 10:33 AM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Dexron III or VI will work. III is good for 50k miles and VI is good for !00k miles.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Blackjetvette97
Drifting

Hi all,
Thanks for replies. What was the stock fluid that was used in the '97 C5's? Mobil 1, Castrol, Havoline?

Steve
Old 10-26-2009, 08:31 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

What was the stock fluid that was used in the '97 C5's? Mobil 1, Castrol, Havoline?
The factory fill ATF was GM Goodwrench Dexron III for all C5's.

As stated earlier by vettezeke, Dexron VI is an improved fluid, and is my recommendation also.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:52 PM
worldtraveler
Melting Slicks

Location: Proud dad of 2 responsible adults and 1 fallen warrior txtx
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by old stingray
Dexron III or VI will work. III is good for 50k miles and VI is good for !00k miles.
Is the tranny fluid in an A4 longevity based strictly on mileage or does age come into play? I was thinking I should change out the fluids after 5 years even if I haven't reached the recommended mileage.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:51 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 83 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 vett babycar
unfortunatly you can't "change" your trani fluid yourself - to get all the old fluid out the trani needs to be flushed by a machine either at a dealer or trani shop.
Not true. You absolutely can change the fluid yourself. There is a procedure in the service manual, and no where does it call for a flush. If you do some reading on the subject, flushing the transmission has been known to precipitate more problems then it cures/helps(especially on higher mile c5's). The service manual even has a change interval for the auto trans fluid/filter(operated under certain conditions). And yes, you cannot remove ALL the fluid using the service manual procedure because fluid is trapped in the converter........it's always been that way on GM's for as long as I can remember(at least the one's I've worked on).

Originally Posted by 99 vett babycar
That being said, 70K on the old fluid is enough and you should select any quality name brand fluid. I use Royal Purple but any synthetic name brand will work just as well. You might want to consider changing the trani filter at the same time.
Consider changing the filter? When would you not change the filter when doing a fluid change?

Last edited by lucky131969; 01-27-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:13 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 83 Likes on 77 Posts

Hi all,
Thanks for the replies, guys. I would like to know brand names and specific names of the fluid types(that will be on the bottles) so when I go to buy it, I won't screw up. Also, where can I get the required filter and other stuff needed to completely change out the fluid/filter(seals, if any)? Gonna have a tranny shop do the work. Thanks

Steve
PM sent

Get notified of new replies

To A4 Tranny fluid

Quick Reply: A4 Tranny fluid